E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Side mirror Turn Signal Lens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350
Side mirror Turn Signal Lens

Hi everyone! New member here I tried a search for this, but maybe I'm not using the right terms?

A murderous rock jumped up from the freeway and broke the turn signal lens cover on my left side mirror I was hoping someone has posted on how to remove and replace, also where to purchase a new one (other than dealer?).

Thanks in advance, a lot of great info around here!
Old 09-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Part #2198200521 (for comparison shopping, http://www.parts.com/oemCatalog/inde...D=2&makeid1=67 $32.78) this thread should help http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...ml#post4350668
Old 09-25-2010, 03:27 PM

2008 E350
Thank you! I will look over those threads and hopefully get the lens ordered!
Old 09-25-2010, 11:03 PM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Part #2198200521 (for comparison shopping, http://www.parts.com/oemCatalog/inde...D=2&makeid1=67 $32.78) this thread should help http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...ml#post4350668

So has there been more debate on if you need to remove the mirror assembly or is there a magic "clip" that removes the mirror cover? I have ordered the new part, and will look at the mirror when my wife eventually comes home....
Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 & ML500
Did a search and found this

Originally Posted by pearlpower
Even with all of my go fast stuff, this is one of my favorite mods on the car. It's just cool, at least to me.

Anyhow, as a DIY did not exist, just wanted to post up a quick one as this is a fairly straight forward and easy mod.

Tools needed:
T20
T30
Panel removal tool
Large sockets-see below

Summary:
1) Remove electrical from the inside
2) Remove mirror held on with 3qty T-20 screws
3) Install new mirror
4) Remove and swap out mirror switch
5) Code new mirror if you would like it to automatically open/close via the ignition switch.

Now on to the details

(1)Electrical
First off, if all you need to do is to remove the standard side mirror, there is no need to remove the interior door panel, just the corner plastic cover to gain access to the two connectors.

OK, so remove the interior plastic cover located near the hing which will allow access to the electrical. It just pops off, don't make it more difficult than it is. Look at the wire loom coming from the mirror, do not confuse with the wire for the tweater wire. There are two connections that are removed by pressing in the little tab. You can also see the picture further down with the panel off for a better look of the electrical.

(2) Remove mirror
Once you have disconnected the electrical it is time to remove the OEM mirror which is held on via 3qty T-20 screws. The problem here is that in order to gain access to these screws you need to push the mirror back to gain access to two screws and the other way to gain access to one.
The mirror is spring loaded and this is why you cannot just hold it back with your hand and remove the screws as once you remove the last screw the mirror will fly out of your hand-the spring load is pretty stout.

I used a large socket to prop up on the inside of the housing to keep it open. This is much safer vs using your hand.

At this time you will need to remove the housing. Shine a flashlight into the back(open) side of the housing and you will see a silver clip approx 3" back that pries up with a flathead screwdriver. Once this is done the mirror just slides right off provide the mirror glass is level. The pics below show where this little tab is. This is the only thing that locks the housing onto the mirror frame. Almost scary.

Once you remove the housing you will have access to the torx screws. Just remove them and remember to use sockets to hold the spring loaded housing open. Be very careful as you do not want the socket to slip out and go flying into the glass or body. Best to lower the window and cover the paint with a towel or other means for protection. Being the rebel I am I just took my time.

Notice the long socket on this one.

Now just feed the mirror and electrical out of the hole.
Remove one connector at a time as both will not feed through at the same time. Duh!

(3) Install new mirror
To install the new folding mirror there is no need for sockets as this mirror just pushes back and forth with a little effort. Feed the connectors and install the new mirror with the 3qty T-20 screws. No socket treatment needed to install the folding mirrors.

(4) Swap mirror switch/remove interior panel

OK, it is now time to remove the interior door panel.
Pop out the plastic cover behind the armrest. You will see a few T-30 screws. Remove them.

Remove the strike lock cover held on with a single T-20 screw.

Take a look at the picture up top where the electrical connections are. There is a single T-30 screw there that needs to be removed also.

OK, with all of the screws removed, use a panel removal tool or similar and pop the panel off the door shell. Oh, don't forget to unscrew the 60s style GM lock located up top.

In order to swap the switch you must remove the other switches on the door first as the tabs overlap-of course!
It is very straight forward and removal of the entire panel is not required provided you are careful not to pull on any of the electrical connections which could cause issues down the line.

Once it is swapped out, put it all back together in reverse order.

Place the housing back on the mirror frame and note there are two alignment 'ears' that slide into provisions in the housing. Just 'bump' it back and you may have to push the silver locking clip back into position. Pull on the housing to ensure it is secure-hate to see your housing fly off while in Famosa

(5) Coding.
The mirror now can be manually folded in and out via the mirror switch. You can have them coded to do this automatically via the ignition switch if you choose.

This is also a cool feature to have when stuck in traffic and those motors get close to your car as they whiz in-between cars.

That's it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...orite-mod.html
Old 09-28-2010, 09:38 AM

2008 E350
Thanks Wampa Unfortunately my E350 W211 has a different type of mirror housing which does not have the quick release clip for the housing
Old 01-28-2011, 10:03 PM

2007 E350
i need that same instructions for the driver side mirror assembly for a 2007 model mirror which is completely different from this one....some one help please!!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 PM

2007 E350
Jeff-I searched here and haven't found the 07+ year model side mirror removal instructions yet.....
Old 02-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by borisW211
Jeff-I searched here and haven't found the 07+ year model side mirror removal instructions yet.....
PM email address

Last edited by konigstiger; 02-03-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 AM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by borisW211
Hey Boris, check this link http://www.moressi.it/MERCEDES%20E%2...0indicator.htm

You have to remove the glass mirror plate and motor assembly. It was a PIA, but with some patience it is doable. The part was cheap, about $30 and it was genuine Mercedes from the parts link posted on this thread.

There is a plastic cover behind the glass mirror that has to come off, one of the tabs broke on me. I just used double sided tape to reinstall, so far so good.

Be sure to put some painters tape (low stick) on the painted surface of the mirror housing, around the inside of the housing to prevent scratches from trying to pry the mirror out. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 PM

2007 E350
Thanks Jeff and Dan for the info.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 PM

2008 E350
You're welcome! Good luck