W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Folding side mirrors. My favorite mod.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
DIY: Folding side mirrors. My favorite mod.

Even with all of my go fast stuff, this is one of my favorite mods on the car. It's just cool, at least to me.

Anyhow, as a DIY did not exist, just wanted to post up a quick one as this is a fairly straight forward and easy mod.

Tools needed:
T20
T30
Panel removal tool
Large sockets-see below

Summary:
1) Remove electrical from the inside
2) Remove mirror held on with 3qty T-20 screws
3) Install new mirror
4) Remove and swap out mirror switch
5) Code new mirror if you would like it to automatically open/close via the ignition switch.

Now on to the details

(1)Electrical
First off, if all you need to do is to remove the standard side mirror, there is no need to remove the interior door panel, just the corner plastic cover to gain access to the two connectors.

OK, so remove the interior plastic cover located near the hing which will allow access to the electrical. It just pops off, don't make it more difficult than it is. Look at the wire loom coming from the mirror, do not confuse with the wire for the tweater wire. There are two connections that are removed by pressing in the little tab. You can also see the picture further down with the panel off for a better look of the electrical.

(2) Remove mirror
Once you have disconnected the electrical it is time to remove the OEM mirror which is held on via 3qty T-20 screws. The problem here is that in order to gain access to these screws you need to push the mirror back to gain access to two screws and the other way to gain access to one.
The mirror is spring loaded and this is why you cannot just hold it back with your hand and remove the screws as once you remove the last screw the mirror will fly out of your hand-the spring load is pretty stout.

I used a large socket to prop up on the inside of the housing to keep it open. This is much safer vs using your hand.

At this time you will need to remove the housing. Shine a flashlight into the back(open) side of the housing and you will see a silver clip approx 3" back that pries up with a flathead screwdriver. Once this is done the mirror just slides right off provide the mirror glass is level. The pics below show where this little tab is. This is the only thing that locks the housing onto the mirror frame. Almost scary.

Once you remove the housing you will have access to the torx screws. Just remove them and remember to use sockets to hold the spring loaded housing open. Be very careful as you do not want the socket to slip out and go flying into the glass or body. Best to lower the window and cover the paint with a towel or other means for protection. Being the rebel I am I just took my time.

Notice the long socket on this one.

Now just feed the mirror and electrical out of the hole.
Remove one connector at a time as both will not feed through at the same time. Duh!

(3) Install new mirror
To install the new folding mirror there is no need for sockets as this mirror just pushes back and forth with a little effort. Feed the connectors and install the new mirror with the 3qty T-20 screws. No socket treatment needed to install the folding mirrors.

(4) Swap mirror switch/remove interior panel

OK, it is now time to remove the interior door panel.
Pop out the plastic cover behind the armrest. You will see a few T-30 screws. Remove them.

Remove the strike lock cover held on with a single T-20 screw.

Take a look at the picture up top where the electrical connections are. There is a single T-30 screw there that needs to be removed also.

OK, with all of the screws removed, use a panel removal tool or similar and pop the panel off the door shell. Oh, don't forget to unscrew the 60s style GM lock located up top.

In order to swap the switch you must remove the other switches on the door first as the tabs overlap-of course!
It is very straight forward and removal of the entire panel is not required provided you are careful not to pull on any of the electrical connections which could cause issues down the line.

Once it is swapped out, put it all back together in reverse order.

Place the housing back on the mirror frame and note there are two alignment 'ears' that slide into provisions in the housing. Just 'bump' it back and you may have to push the silver locking clip back into position. Pull on the housing to ensure it is secure-hate to see your housing fly off while in Famosa

(5) Coding.
The mirror now can be manually folded in and out via the mirror switch. You can have them coded to do this automatically via the ignition switch if you choose.

This is also a cool feature to have when stuck in traffic and those motors get close to your car as they whiz in-between cars.

That's it.

Last edited by pearlpower; 01-30-2010 at 02:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pearlpower:
B@dnE55 (05-16-2022), Hrvstr1 (05-17-2022)
Old 01-30-2010, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 & ML500
Thanks! Great write up with pics!

Now I just need a source to purchase these folding mirrors
Old 01-30-2010, 02:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E55
Great DIY. A couple of questions: 1) After it's folded, what can we put in that empty space so it doesn't look like that? 2) I know it's a DIY but can you do it for me lol
Old 01-30-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55 AMG
Have you had any experience with the side mirrors folding intermittently? Or maybe sometimes the driver side folds but not the passenger side?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGroadhug
Have you had any experience with the side mirrors folding intermittently? Or maybe sometimes the driver side folds but not the passenger side?
None at all, so far flawless (knock on wood). Yours?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Where can I get folding mirrors for E63??
Old 01-30-2010, 02:37 PM

04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by pearlpower
None at all, so far flawless (knock on wood). Yours?
Lucky you.......mine had that problem but it always go back to normal operation after a day or two
Old 01-30-2010, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
thankx!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lucky you.......mine had that problem but it always go back to normal operation after a day or two
Hmm, have you tries reseating the plugs? They are very easy to get to and would take perhaps 10 minutes tops for both sides.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:42 PM

04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by pearlpower
Hmm, have you tries reseating the plugs? They are very easy to get to and would take perhaps 10 minutes tops for both sides.
Do I need to remove the interior panel to reseat the plugs? Is it shown in your picture?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:46 PM

2006 E55 Designo 1991 190E 2.3 2000 BMW 740i 1987 PORSHCE 928S4
How much $ to do this convertion?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do I need to remove the interior panel to reseat the plugs? Is it shown in your picture?

Thanks in advance for your help.
It's just two plugs as pictured above. Just remove the black cover on the door panel is all. Fingernail pull is all that is requires to pop it out and the, you will notice the two plugs.

I bought these with European glass for $600 or so from another member here.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 PM

E CLASS
Hey pearlpower,
Great DIY write up w/pics!
By chance, do you know all the part numbers for the mirrors and switch?

Thanks for the contribution.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:51 PM

E500 & ML500
Correct me if I am wrong. But weren't the power folding mirrors only available in Europe and not an option in the USA?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:46 AM

2006 Mercedes E55
I saw an s55 with power mirrors. Were they standard on that model ? Could we use the same parts ?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:50 AM

E500 & ML500
Originally Posted by Bellevue_E55
I saw an s55 with power mirrors. Were they standard on that model ? Could we use the same parts ?
Regarding the power folding mirrors, I don't believe it is possible to swap parts from other MB models . Since when you are upgrading to the power folding mirrors for the w211. The only existing part you keep I believe is the painted mirror covers. The rest has to be changed out. I believe I saw a pair for sale recently, but they were in the $600 - $750 range.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:46 AM

e500
Great write up Lee.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Does anyone know where we can buy those mirrors (Auto folding)? I would like to add this feature to my car.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:14 AM

E Class
[QUOTE=pearlpower;3917001]Even with all of my go fast stuff, this is one of my favorite mods on the car. It's just cool, at least to me.

Anyhow, as a DIY did not exist, just wanted to post up a quick one as this is a fairly straight forward and easy mod.

Tools needed:
T20
T30
Panel removal tool
Large sockets-see below

Summary:
1) Remove electrical from the inside
2) Remove mirror held on with 3qty T-20 screws
3) Install new mirror
4) Remove and swap out mirror switch
5) Code new mirror if you would like it to automatically open/close via the ignition switch.

Now on to the details

(1)Electrical
First off, if all you need to do is to remove the standard side mirror, there is no need to remove the interior door panel, just the corner plastic cover to gain access to the two connectors.

OK, so remove the interior plastic cover located near the hing which will allow access to the electrical. It just pops off, don't make it more difficult than it is. Look at the wire loom coming from the mirror, do not confuse with the wire for the tweater wire. There are two connections that are removed by pressing in the little tab. You can also see the picture further down with the panel off for a better look of the electrical.

(2) Remove mirror
Once you have disconnected the electrical it is time to remove the OEM mirror which is held on via 3qty T-20 screws. The problem here is that in order to gain access to these screws you need to push the mirror back to gain access to two screws and the other way to gain access to one.
The mirror is spring loaded and this is why you cannot just hold it back with your hand and remove the screws as once you remove the last screw the mirror will fly out of your hand-the spring load is pretty stout.

I used a large socket to prop up on the inside of the housing to keep it open. This is much safer vs using your hand.

At this time you will need to remove the housing. Shine a flashlight into the back(open) side of the housing and you will see a silver clip approx 3" back that pries up with a flathead screwdriver. Once this is done the mirror just slides right off provide the mirror glass is level. The pics below show where this little tab is. This is the only thing that locks the housing onto the mirror frame. Almost scary.

Once you remove the housing you will have access to the torx screws. Just remove them and remember to use sockets to hold the spring loaded housing open. Be very careful as you do not want the socket to slip out and go flying into the glass or body. Best to lower the window and cover the paint with a towel or other means for protection. Being the rebel I am I just took my time.

Notice the long socket on this one.

Now just feed the mirror and electrical out of the hole.
Remove one connector at a time as both will not feed through at the same time. Duh!

(3) Install new mirror
To install the new folding mirror there is no need for sockets as this mirror just pushes back and forth with a little effort. Feed the connectors and install the new mirror with the 3qty T-20 screws. No socket treatment needed to install the folding mirrors.

(4) Swap mirror switch/remove interior panel

OK, it is now time to remove the interior door panel.
Pop out the plastic cover behind the armrest. You will see a few T-30 screws. Remove them.

Remove the strike lock cover held on with a single T-20 screw.

Take a look at the picture up top where the electrical connections are. There is a single T-30 screw there that needs to be removed also.

OK, with all of the screws removed, use a panel removal tool or similar and pop the panel off the door shell. Oh, don't forget to unscrew the 60s style GM lock located up top.

In order to swap the switch you must remove the other switches on the door first as the tabs overlap-of course!
It is very straight forward and removal of the entire panel is not required provided you are careful not to pull on any of the electrical connections which could cause issues down the line.

Once it is swapped out, put it all back together in reverse order.

Place the housing back on the mirror frame and note there are two alignment 'ears' that slide into provisions in the housing. Just 'bump' it back and you may have to push the silver locking clip back into position. Pull on the housing to ensure it is secure-hate to see your housing fly off while in Famosa

(5) Coding.
The mirror now can be manually folded in and out via the mirror switch. You can have them coded to do this automatically via the ignition switch if you choose.

This is also a cool feature to have when stuck in traffic and those motors get close to your car as they whiz in-between cars.

That's it.

Last edited by Mercedes3201965; 02-12-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:46 AM

E Class
W211 05, Avantgarde door signal light.

Hi there,
Thank you for the instructions on getting my cover off the mirror. It was a success, can anybody tell me what size in mm's, 0.5 0r 1.0mm are the cable's for the led signal light. As i need to go out and purchase a length cable before i remove the unit for the door for repair.
Thank you.

Last edited by Mercedes3201965; 02-12-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by wampa
Now I just need a source to purchase these folding mirrors
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
Where can I get folding mirrors for E63??
Originally Posted by rluvsbenz
How much $ to do this convertion?
Originally Posted by NORCAL///AMG
By chance, do you know all the part numbers for the mirrors and switch?
Originally Posted by vioilio
Does anyone know where we can buy those mirrors (Auto folding)? I would like to add this feature to my car.
the parts are not available in US...
email MBenzNL@gmail.com for pricing...
Old 03-27-2019, 05:17 PM

2006 E320CDI, 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 E350 Bluetec
This is a great mod. Expensive for what it is but I'd like to add the folding capability. I have a question though. Maybe someone can answer it.

To take the mirror cover off, you must fold the mirror. With a non power folding mirror, you simply fold the mirror by hand and unlatch the cover. How do you take off the cover on a folding mirror when the mirror (or motor) is non functional? You need to get the cover off to repair the mirror but you can no longer fold the mirror to get the cover off. My understanding is that if you manually fold a power folding mirror, you break the mechanism so now you HAVE to buy a new mirror frame even if the original problem might only have been wiring?

Can anyone address this?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:36 PM

I just got done with this modification. It is very nice. I ended up going with a right side dimming mirror. I originally bought a non dimming mirror and did not use it. It is a brand new original Mercedes heated, aspherically curved mirror. They are no longer available from Mercedes.

I am asking $100 shipped for it.

PM me if interested.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:59 PM

I am going through all of my extra parts I bought for this and I have an extra left hand auto dimming aspherically curved mirror. I bought it and then decided I wanted to go all new parts. This mirror is in perfect shape and I tested the auto dimming and heating. All works perfect. This is an original Mercedes mirror. I can tell you new ones are crazy expensive. I am selling for $100 shipped. Part number is A2118100321
Old 05-27-2019, 05:44 PM

I purchased a new Mercedes left hand mirror with auto dimming and heated glass. It is aspherically curved. It is for a C class and not an E class. The heating element connections are different so I need to sell it. Brand new Original Mercedes mirror. Part number is 2038100321. I am selling for $150 shipped. I have some mirror frames I will also put on here

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Folding side mirrors. My favorite mod.