E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Help: Squeaking noise when I step on the brake pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 996 C2 Cabrio
Unhappy Help: Squeaking noise when I step on the brake pedal

Howdy again, folks. Here's the latest deal with my E500 with 689 miles (motor mounts replaced, communications platform module replaced, TeleAid reprogrammed for US).

I have always noticed a very faint electronic buzzing sound coming from inside the car when I depress the brake pedal. I figured it was just part of the electronics functioning for the Sensotronic Braking System. However, after searching the archives, mbtech posted a TSB # P-B-42.46/27a which involved a pulsation damper to be retrofitted into the suction line near the main SBC hydraulic unit to alleviate the buzzing sound.

Let me continue... In addition to this faint electronic buzzing noise (similar to an audiology hearing test tone), I now have a SQUEAK coming from the brake pedal and front of the car almost everytime I depress the brake pedal. It sounds like a door hinge that needs a good shot of WD-40! The slower I depress the brake pedal, the slower the squeak. It's really, really annoying. Even more annoying than my motor mount ticking...

The electronic brakes are still stopping the car fine. This squeak seems related to the hydraulic system, perhaps even the master cylinder.

Anyone else having this problem? What do you all think? It looks like yet another appointment to see the dealer...

Help me out, Dave (mbtech)!
Old 04-22-2003, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
That sounds like a squeaky stop-lamp switch.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:27 AM

e500
I hAVE THE SAME problem, i thought it was normal, everytime i press the brakes, i hear this buzz noise, and not only that, when i drive and turn the wheel sometimes, i hear some knocking noises.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 CLS 550
I had the the SQUEAKY brake problem the first two days after I picked up the car then it stopped. Left the car sitting for 3 weeks, SQUEAK came back, one day later, GONE.

Obviously, the squeak will stop the moment you take it to the service department.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:07 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
I have both the squeaky pedal and the electronic buzz...

We'll see what the dealer has to say... I plan on taking her in this afternoon.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:13 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Originally posted by skymast
Obviously, the squeak will stop the moment you take it to the service department.
Bwahahahaha... the pedal's been sqeaking all morning and even some in the afternoon.

We dropped the car off at the dealer and GUESS WHAT??? Yep. No squeaking.

They're obviously going to check it out. I told them to call me if they can't reproduce the noise. I'll tell them exactly what's going on...

Dropping my car off at the shop is really getting old. This is my first Benz, and I'm not exactly ecstatic at the moment.

Hopefully, this will be the last nagging fix it.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:18 PM

e500
I first had the 2003 navigator, and i kept going back to the shop, so i got sick of that and asked for a refund under the lemon law. so i got full refund and i got a benz. now it looks like im gonna have to go with the lemon law again, soooooo many problems
Old 04-22-2003, 07:23 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
pogotango...

What's going on with your W211? Here's my list so far:

1. Motor mounts replaced.
2. CP module replaced.
3. TeleAid reprogrammed for the US.
4. Squeaking brake pedal being evaluated.

689 miles. I'm frustrated with my first Benz. I love the car and the ride, but this is getting silly...

I was close to going with a 2002 BMW 540iA sport. Hmmm.. tried and true design that's been around for years. I hope in the long run I don't regret my decision about the E.

I'm not ragging the car, it's beautiful. It's refined. It's powerful and smooth. But, it's in the shop.

Cheers to all my MB buds!
Old 04-22-2003, 07:32 PM

e500
1. Electrical consumers turned off malfunction -when this malfunction comes on, i cant use my sunroof and my parktronic and all electrical shuts down

2. tele aid sos malfunction - i guess when this comes on, it means im screwd?

3. break and engine noises,

4. driverside tweeter falling off

5. rear ceiling falling off

6. keyless go sux, gotta change the amp or whatever
Old 04-22-2003, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you can't let these initial quality problems get you down, all cars have them. The Hondas I've owned have had them, including one that had a rear brake that would lock up, try driving a car with that! it is more important how your car is operating at 10,000 miles then what happens during the first 1000 miles, so long as you have a dealer that fixes the initial problems. a little WD40 sounds like it will fix that brake pedal!