E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Removing factory ipod adapter - trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Removing factory ipod adapter - trouble

Having been fed up with the factory iPod adapter, I've purchased and begun the installation of the Dension Gateway 500. Everything works fine, but I was hoping to totally remove the factory iPod module as it's no longer needed.

With the module totally removed unfortunately, the CD Changer no longer works, and information related to the nav/audio system stays in the "Please Wait" state on the instrument cluster. When I plug the module back in everything goes back to being normal.

I was led to believe the only configuration in STAR that was needed was the "telephone present" option which I also have enabled for use with the bluetooth puck - so I'm not sure what needs to be reconfigured when removing the iPod adapter.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:20 PM

A day subscription to Startekinfo provided all the explanation and diagrams I needed. The Ipod adapter integrates with CANbus both at the front CANbus distribution point under the glove box, and at the back, where it replaces two CANbus wires going in to the AGW. The original wires were taped to the harness nearby (these original wires just go from the AGW to the rear SAM). Had to extract the pins from the iPOD harness, push in the original ones, and reconnect the other end to the rear SAM (they disconnected both sides). I left the iPOD harness in place, but disconnected the power plug from the back of the rear SAM (but left fuse and relay in place).

All works as it should now - the sound quality of the DENSION iPOD interface is 10x better than the factory ipod adapter. Lows are low...highs are crisp - and the annoying noise floor is gone.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
205, 211 V8 4M, B7 /RS4, e30 ///M3
can i take the stock ipod connect off your hands??
Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by petep86
To be honest, I would not wish the OEM ipod adapter on my worst enemy. The integration is OK at best, but the sound quality is awful, and it canabalizes the Aux-in on your head unit. And the iPod can't be controlled through COMMAND unit - only via steering wheel controls. The sound quality is degraded to the point that certain music is very distorted and un-listenable.

Now granted, the iPOD adapter for W211 was one of the first of it's kind when the OEM Peiker introduced it in 2003. But the audio circuitry is very badly done. The circuitry board is of high quality, and the unit is made in Germany, but you'd do yourself so much better by using the aux-in instead for your iPod rather than this piece of junk.

Or you can go the route that I took and get the DENSION adapter. Keep in mind with the OEM iPOD adapter you must route new cabling to the rear SAM of the vehicle in the trunk, install an extra fuse, relay, and swap two pins that carry CANBUS data to the audio gateway. You might even need to have the car configured by a dealership or someone with STAR computer to enable the steering wheel buttons.

The DENSION adapter requires NO wires to be run to the rear of the car, has SUPERIOR audio quality (to the point that you'll be happy to listen to your Ipod) - it injects audio directly in to the MOST ring via fiber optics and seems to have a very high quality analogue to digital converter. One can use both the head unit buttons or steering wheel controls, COMMAND vehicles get the song title and play list info on the screen and cluster as well. Although it mimicks the CD Changer, there is a switch that you can use to switch between the two. The DENSION adapter is even smart enough to tell the MOST ring to reset itself when you switch. The door to the CD Changer works in either mode.

I truly truly did not realize how good the HK systems sound in our cars until I got this adapter. I don't really use CDs, even Satellite radio has a good deal of compression that takes away from the audio quality.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Maybe I have no idea about music but I don't hear a difference between my ipod music and the music that is on CDs.

But I have to admit that it sucks that you cannot control it with the COMAND and it's nice buttons but only via steering wheel controls.

But I'm still a pro OEM iPod integration kit. Pete I have a brand new one in stock if you're interested, eMail me!

Apl, would you upload a nice video on Youtube perhaps about how it looks like in your car and where this button is? That was one of the things when I looked into the OEM or the Dension Gateway that I didn't wanna lose the ability to use my disc changer or the that the door might not open anymore. Although I never understood why some said the door wouldn't open anymore when the door basically has nothing to do with the CAN bus to my best knowledge.

Last edited by Mackhack; 11-19-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:54 PM

The switch is on a little module with a status light and an additional set of RCA phono aux in connectors. There are two other wired cables, one with a USB end for memory sticks, and the other is the iPod cable.

I have for the moment placed everything to the glove box, where it all fits alongside the document organizer. There is even a supplied cable grommet that fits perfectly in the hole in the glovebox where the OEM factory adapter cable came through.

Originally Posted by Mackhack
Apl, would you upload a nice video on Youtube perhaps about how it looks like in your car and where this button is? That was one of the things when I looked into the OEM or the Dension Gateway that I didn't wanna lose the ability to use my disc changer or the that the door might not open anymore. Although I never understood why some said the door wouldn't open anymore when the door basically has nothing to do with the CAN bus to my best knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails Removing factory ipod adapter - trouble-img_20101121_132550.jpg   Removing factory ipod adapter - trouble-img_20101121_132631.jpg  
Old 12-02-2010, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I might have to give that gateway unit a try. To the OP, how easy is it to install? Where did you buy yours from? Anyone else using this unit?

Aaron
Old 12-03-2010, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by apl175
The switch is on a little module with a status light and an additional set of RCA phono aux in connectors. There are two other wired cables, one with a USB end for memory sticks, and the other is the iPod cable.

I have for the moment placed everything to the glove box, where it all fits alongside the document organizer. There is even a supplied cable grommet that fits perfectly in the hole in the glovebox where the OEM factory adapter cable came through.
Where did you find the factory gromet? It makes the install look very nice.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by WHTEVO
I might have to give that gateway unit a try. To the OP, how easy is it to install? Where did you buy yours from? Anyone else using this unit?

Aaron
If you don't have a factory ipod kit to remove I would imagine doing the install in about 1-2 hours or so. When I installed mine, I made it a point to remove the OEM ipod adapter, and even reconnect the original aux in. It was comparatively easy to install....the fiber cables were just long enough to run to the right locations to mount the Dension unit in the factory ipod adapter location.

I purchased mine from Enfig car stereo in New Jersey. They had a decent price and shipped quickly. I'm sure googling will get you the website.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Where did you find the factory gromet? It makes the install look very nice.
"Factory" grommet CAME with the Dension kit - as I said it fit PERFECTLY where the OEM grommet and cable used to be.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned

If you wanna do a fine job without breaking or scratching anything it takes about 4 to 5 hours. Having a beer in between included of course.

If you don't have a factory ipod kit to remove I would imagine doing the install in about 1-2 hours or so. When I installed mine, I made it a point to remove the OEM ipod adapter, and even reconnect the original aux in. It was comparatively easy to install....the fiber cables were just long enough to run to the right locations to mount the Dension unit in the factory ipod adapter location.

I purchased mine from Enfig car stereo in New Jersey. They had a decent price and shipped quickly. I'm sure googling will get you the website.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
/\ Damn that's alot of time to install a ipod adapter. Even one that doesn't have to route all through the car like the mercedes kit does.

Aaron
Old 12-04-2010, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D

I second Enfig. Christian is a master installer and a great guy to work on your car if you are in the NY area. I needed a few additional things installed so I had him do the install when I bought my car. He kept the Enfig installation bay open for me until almost 10:00 PM as the dealer didn't deliver my car until around 9:30 PM. He still took his time and installed the Dension Ipod kit and even installed additional 12V adapters in the glove box for me for power various electronic in there. The install was done around midnight. Best service I've ever received at an installer. The price they have for the Ipod kit is also very reasonable and he even knew which serial number ranges of the Dension unit were best.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WHTEVO
/\ Damn that's alot of time to install a ipod adapter. Even one that doesn't have to route all through the car like the mercedes kit does.

Aaron
Sorry I was talking about the oem integration kit. Taking all trunk panels out, back seat, b pilar cover, cable canal open, glove compartment bottom parts out, coman out,... Programming the buttons of the steering wheel if they are not activated yet bc of the Bluetooth puck. That's pretty much the short version.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 PM

'06 E320 CDI, '04 Sprinter 316 CDI
To be honest, I would not wish the OEM ipod adapter on my worst enemy. The integration is OK at best, but the sound quality is awful, and it canabalizes the Aux-in on your head unit. And the iPod can't be controlled through COMMAND unit - only via steering wheel controls. The sound quality is degraded to the point that certain music is very distorted and un-listenable.

Now granted, the iPOD adapter for W211 was one of the first of it's kind when the OEM Peiker introduced it in 2003. But the audio circuitry is very badly done. The circuitry board is of high quality, and the unit is made in Germany, but you'd do yourself so much better by using the aux-in instead for your iPod rather than this piece of junk.

Or you can go the route that I took and get the DENSION adapter. Keep in mind with the OEM iPOD adapter you must route new cabling to the rear SAM of the vehicle in the trunk, install an extra fuse, relay, and swap two pins that carry CANBUS data to the audio gateway. You might even need to have the car configured by a dealership or someone with STAR computer to enable the steering wheel buttons.

The DENSION adapter requires NO wires to be run to the rear of the car, has SUPERIOR audio quality (to the point that you'll be happy to listen to your Ipod) - it injects audio directly in to the MOST ring via fiber optics and seems to have a very high quality analogue to digital converter. One can use both the head unit buttons or steering wheel controls, COMMAND vehicles get the song title and play list info on the screen and cluster as well. Although it mimicks the CD Changer, there is a switch that you can use to switch between the two. The DENSION adapter is even smart enough to tell the MOST ring to reset itself when you switch. The door to the CD Changer works in either mode.

I truly truly did not realize how good the HK systems sound in our cars until I got this adapter. I don't really use CDs, even Satellite radio has a good deal of compression that takes away from the audio quality.
I just got one of these Densions too, and will be installing it. Did you get the Dension BTA-1500 Blue Tooth adapter as well to allow a phone to work? I have an 06' W211 and am hoping I can get an iphone working via Bluetooth, but am not sure if one needs certain factory phone wiring on an 06' W211 to make this Dension Bluetooth adapter work....has anyone successfully got this running too?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:35 AM

E 350
Le me know too in regards to bluetooth integration. I want to either go OEM bluetooth or get it with the Gateway. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:18 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2007 e63 estate, 1998 ITB golf, ITE scirocco (sold to a collector in Japan)
Originally Posted by petep86
if i can get better directions on how to remove it and make active the regular aux connector, i'll let you know. i just got an e63 wagon and it has an ipod connector. well, i have an android so the aux connector is what i want. however, it seems not to work with the ipod connector in place. i think i read that the ipod connector "cannibalized" it. anyway, if anyone could provide some directions to a mercedes neophyte, they would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 PM

205, 211 V8 4M, B7 /RS4, e30 ///M3
If you come down to philly, I'll not only remove the iPod cradle , but I will also activate the AUXILIARY input, when I deactivate the iPod input, via STAR DAS. Maybe if u want, I can do some other STAR tricks for ya, when ur down here
. I have a 5 bay garage with full access to two STAR DAS Systems.. let me know..my shop is in the suburbs, right outside west Philadelphia. PM me ur phone number and I'll shoot ya a text.

PS its been a long time, since I've been on the forums.. people have been digging up old threads and I'm getting the emails. Lol
Old 10-28-2018, 02:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 S63
Super old thread I know. So let me get this straight. Removing the integration kit is not enough to disable iPod and recover normal use of the auxiliary inputs? It needs to be done with STAR?
Old 10-28-2018, 02:39 AM
Banned

If you wanna do it properly SD use is required. Otherwise, take it out or leave it in. Just reconnect the CAN bus cable that goes into the AGW, unplug audio in on back of the COMAND and plug the aux cable back in that ends inside the glove compartment.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 S63
Thanks for the quick response. So yours saying there is currently a disconnected canbus cable at the audio gateway in the rear of the vehicle that needs to be reconnected? Also then the three color av input in the glove box is also currently disconnected?
Old 10-28-2018, 02:24 PM
Banned

There is no 3 wire audio video input. It’s 3 wire audio (left, right, ground aka stereo).

If you look at the official WIS install document you’ll see how the connector needs to be taken apart, what cables come out, what cables go back in.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:58 PM

Ml350
From GA

Are you still in the car audio business. If so how do I find you on my way through PA.