E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

NAV do you really use it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAV do you really use it?

Those with the NAV option, do you really use it or is it a new techie toy? I have an RX300 that I use for trips but thinking about selling my Acura TL and buying a E320. Not sure if the NAV is worth the $$ for around town.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:12 AM

2003 MB E500
I am terrible with directions so I am really looking forward to getting the Nav system that i paid for in November. It will be so nice to throw the maps away.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:35 AM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Yes. It is indespensible in this area, as well as on trips. Locally, the detour option is very helpful since the roads are clogged most of the time. I have used GPS since 1992 (the early Street Atlas on a laptop with the yellow GPS receiver). I have been using the Magellan 750M while waiting the the MB nav.

Last edited by drb; 04-29-2003 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:49 PM
Almost a Member!

The 750M

You've mentioned the 750M as the best portable solution before - I am curious how you think it stacks up versus the SPIII or even the PDA solutions available. There is a surprising lack of detailed comparisons on the web. The Magellan website give some guidance, but I would like to hear personal experiences.

Does the antennae have to rest in the window/dash/sunroof? Is the small handheld screen easy to use? How about the voice commands - good quality audio? Lastly, how does it cover the DC area?

Thx,
Tom
Old 04-29-2003, 01:15 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Re: The 750M

Originally posted by principle
You've mentioned the 750M as the best portable solution before - I am curious how you think it stacks up versus the SPIII or even the PDA solutions available. There is a surprising lack of detailed comparisons on the web. The Magellan website give some guidance, but I would like to hear personal experiences.

Does the antennae have to rest in the window/dash/sunroof? Is the small handheld screen easy to use? How about the voice commands - good quality audio? Lastly, how does it cover the DC area?

Thx,
Tom
The antenna can be on the roof, but I put it in the rear window.l The voice is clear. The screen is clear. It can be mounted on the dash, but I rarely use the screen because the voice promts are sufficient. The entire USA is in the computer. Handhelds require you to download the maps you plan to use, and the number of maps are limited to storage. The few PDAs I have tried have poor sound especially when the radio is on. Their screens can be hard to view when driving. There is nothing like an integrated GPS such as we see in most cars today. Short of that, Magellan is very good. Some destinations I have found do not get you to the front porch but get you within a couple houses. There is a report that the software is unaware of the White House. I rate Magellan software about 95% accurate.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Navigation is like must have feature. You can use public transportation and be happy, however owning car gives some benefits you can't neglect anymore. The same thing with navigation, you do not have it and think you do not need it. You have it you think how I was without it. I do not consider taxi, because it's step up over navigation.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Almost a Member!

E500
I think it depends on where you live and how you use your car. If you live in a super-large town where you don't know where things are or if you travel often to strange towns, it could be very useful. If your like me and drive to work and back everyday and use the "family minivan" for trips, it isn't worth it. I had one in my old car and did not use it very often other than for fun.

my .02
Old 04-29-2003, 05:37 PM

Waiting for E-Class with Nav
Wink Once You Have It, You Can't Live Without It

The Nav gives you freedom to travel and explore. You use Nav in ways you never thought you would:

Traveling --
Went to Santa Babs with a girlfriend. Given the name of a good restaurant. Made reservations and then plugged the name of the resturant into the Nav. No worries on how to get there and back to the hotel.

Later in the trip we decided to visit a winery. The Nav listed several from which to choose and gave us an idea of how long it would take to get to each.

Explorring --
Want to explore some homes in the canyons or just roam around Malibu. No worries. Just drive to your heart's content, and when you are ready to go home -- just turn on the nav. Easy.

GET THE NAV
Old 04-29-2003, 05:55 PM

Wink

Thanks, I guess I have been downtown DC and hit some road construction and then have to find an alternate route home. There have been a few trucks overturn during rush hour stopping traffic for hours and I wished I knew an alternate route.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:59 PM

Plus it gives you ETA's to your destination, updates the route guidance as you change course and veer off in other directions... It is the single-best new feature in cars in over two decades... it should be standard equipment in all cars...

I personally want to be able to cut my own dvd nav disks with my own categories of locations... and I want a "travelling salesman" problem solution (i.e. - given a list of places to visit, figure out the best, or at least a good, route to go from each place to each place... either in a given order or in any order... etc... There is so much you can do with this technology, it's not even funny... it is not a toy. It is a de-stresser... and who doesn't need less stress these days?

-NavNut
Old 04-29-2003, 08:12 PM

Believe me, when I get it I will use it........repeat, WHEN I get it.