E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Does your MY09 Passenger Mirror Parking Position Feature Work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Does your MY09 Passenger Mirror Parking Position Feature Work?

The title says it all... My dealer swears up and down the parking position feature for the passenger side mirror is not a feature on the 2009 model year of the E-Class even though the owners manual says it is.

I'm looking for some way to prove this to my dealer so they actually try to enable the feature for me. MBUSA is zero help so far.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 PM

2007 E63 AMG
I was looking around through the dashboard service screens on my 07 E63 and found the prompt to toggle this on and off. I activated the feature on the menu, but nothing happened, or at least I cannot see any change in the behavior of the mirror(s). I believe the dealer is correct.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
It's been decontented. The info in the manual is simply leftover and never been corrected. However, the claim is that it's still in the software. But no one has yet had a dealer activate it and so that remains an urban myth.

MB took it out because there were too many complaints about the mirror not returning properly when going back into drive. At least that's what MBUSA told me over the phone.

There is a workaround: just set the passenger mirror to show the curb and then assign it a memory number. Yes, you have to push the memory number yourself to get the mirror to dip and then go back up again, but it does work.....
Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by black_e63
I was looking around through the dashboard service screens on my 07 E63 and found the prompt to toggle this on and off. I activated the feature on the menu, but nothing happened, or at least I cannot see any change in the behavior of the mirror(s). I believe the dealer is correct.
If you have the option in your DIC menu (My 07 does not) than you should have the feature, as it was decontented going forward after a certain '07 vehicle was manufactured.

You must 1st activate the feature, then memorize the "look down" position for the right hand mirror, then always leave the right side mirror select button pressed in on the drivers door. Then a second after the car is placed in Reverse the mirror will look down to that previously memorized position.

The feature was "decontented" for USA cars in '07 for MBUSA by MB Germany, due to numerous complaints about its sometimes erratic behavior. In 03-05 the E class was riddled with poorly performing parts and hideous Quality Control, and the 211's ratings plummented. It was done to eliminate complaints as a quick fix by hiding the option from view in the DIC so the user can't turn it on, and therefore cant be annoyed. There are people on this board who have found certain dealers who are savvy with the Service Department Laptop (SDS) make the menu choice reappear, and their mirrors look down function has been restored. No urban myth. It depends on a Dealerships skill and their desire to make a car have "non standard programming". The motor's still in the mirror so you can adjust it to see rearward, just the link to Reverse has been hidden from you.

My '04 DID have this feature and it behaved erratically. The workaround solution above works perfectly every time.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 12-27-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 220S
MB took it out because there were too many complaints about the mirror not returning properly when going back into drive. At least that's what MBUSA told me over the phone.
This feature worked to perfection in my 2005 C55. It also works perfectly in my friend's 2010 C63. Haven't tried it yet in the SL...

70k car without a simple feature that's been around for over 10 years. COME ON MERCEDES!

Can't I complain to BBB since the owner's manual claims to have a feature my car does not? Living in downtown Chicago, this particular feature is something I rely on to park the car. Manually lowering the mirror right before I park can be dangerous as I'm usually holding up traffic to park etc.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
...Can't I complain to BBB since the owner's manual claims to have a feature my car does not? Living in downtown Chicago, this particular feature is something I rely on to park the car. Manually lowering the mirror right before I park can be dangerous as I'm usually holding up traffic to park etc.
All sales brochures, etc say something to effect of "MBUSA reserves the right to make changes to vehicles, equipment, options at any time..." So, no. You cant complain.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 12-27-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
All sales brochures, etc say something to effect of "MBUSA reserves the right to make changes to vehicles, equipment, options at any time..." So, no. You cant complain.
Damn. Well, thanks everyone for the good information.

These sorts of feature issues really disappoint me as a car enthusiast. I truly love all the gadgetry which goes in to modern automobiles and it really seems like MB is constantly behind the curve. Yes, BMWs have more electronic related problems but they also have way more features available to the customer. Could be time to switch...
Old 12-27-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 E320 Blk, 09 E350 Blk
my local dealer enabled the tilt mirror feature on my 09 E350 and it works perfect. You may want to try a different dealer!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are people on this board who have found certain dealers who are savvy with the Service Department Laptop (SDS) make the menu choice reappear, and their mirrors look down function has been restored. No urban myth. It depends on a Dealerships skill and their desire to make a car have "non standard programming". The motor's still in the mirror so you can adjust it to see rearward, just the link to Reverse has been hidden from you.
Barry, the reason I called it an "urban myth" is because I've yet to find a dealer who says they can (or are willing) to do so. Even at Mercedes of Beverly Hills, the biggest seller in the US. And I've asked (and pm'd) those handful here who say they've had it done as to which dealer they use. But nobody was willing to say

Originally Posted by taylor210
my local dealer enabled the tilt mirror feature on my 09 E350 and it works perfect. You may want to try a different dealer!
Good, now we have another person who said it was done at a dealer.

Okay, please tell us (or pm me) the dealer's name and your SA's name (and tech's name) so I can call them and ask how it's done. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 PM

02 E320 Blk, 09 E350 Blk
Barry, the reason I called it an "urban myth" is because I've yet to find a dealer who says they can (or are willing) to do so. Even at Mercedes of Beverly Hills, the biggest seller in the US. And I've asked (and pm'd) those handful here who say they've had it done as to which dealer they use. But nobody was willing to say

Good, now we have another person who said it was done at a dealer.

Okay, please tell us (or pm me) the dealer's name and your SA's name (and tech's name) so I can call them and ask how it's done. Thanks!
I had mine done at Fletchur Jones in Newport Beach, CA. The sa name was Ray, can be reached at 949-718-3200. He connected the sds and was done in less than 5 min while I was watching/waiting.(No tech's involved) It was free of charge and was very simple work! He also enabled a few other stuff, but can't recalled...

House of import in Buena park and Caliber Motor in Anaheim Hills coudln't do it!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:07 PM

09 E320 Bluetec
my passenger mirror tilts while parking. maybe because its a canadian spec car
Old 12-27-2010, 07:08 PM

03 E320, 03 Lexus RX300
My 03 does it but only when I use keyless start go-figure.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
It is very easily enabled via SDS.....

ANY dealer should be able to perform, you just need to know the correct SA that knows what he/she is talking about.....
Old 12-27-2010, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
What other fun toys can be enabled with SDS? I have a good relationship with my SA and I'd like to give him a list of everything once as opposed to multiple requests.

The one lack of feature that is driving me nuts is the inability to do a one touch close of the sunroof while driving. Every car since my 93 Honda civic has had this feature. I shouldn't be forced to drive with one hand for 5-10 seconds because the other hand is holding the sunroof close button.

FWIW it is the holidays.. Stop by your SA with a little card and a bottle of wine. It really help to have a good relationship with your SA for stuff like this and to have someone who will look out for you for other issues that may come up.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by taylor210
I had mine done at Fletchur Jones in Newport Beach, CA. The sa name was Ray, can be reached at 949-718-3200. He connected the sds and was done in less than 5 min while I was watching/waiting.(No tech's involved) It was free of charge and was very simple work! He also enabled a few other stuff, but can't recalled...

House of import in Buena park and Caliber Motor in Anaheim Hills coudln't do it!
Thanks, I'll give Fletcher Jones a call. My Indy also has SDS and so maybe I'll have him do it.

I called MB Beverly Hills this afternoon and asked again. They told me that it's not that they CAN'T do it, but it's that MBUSA has told them NOT to do it. Apparently it's buggy and does still create issues (like it did in the pre-2007 models.) Eventually it'll get stuck in the down position and you have to go back to the dealer and reset it. Anyway, this is what they said. And that's why it was decontented to begin with. You'd think Daimler would just fix it instead of removing it altogether

Originally Posted by MB211
It is very easily enabled via SDS.....

ANY dealer should be able to perform, you just need to know the correct SA that knows what he/she is talking about.....
See above. It's not that they don't know how to do it, but that they refuse. The bottom line is simply to find somebody willing to do it (the right dealer or an Indy with SDS.)
Old 12-28-2010, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
How is it that it is apparently working in other countries without getting stuck in the down position?

Thanks, I'll give Fletcher Jones a call. My Indy also has SDS and so maybe I'll have him do it.

I called MB Beverly Hills this afternoon and asked again. They told me that it's not that they CAN'T do it, but it's that MBUSA has told them NOT to do it. Apparently it's buggy and does still create issues (like it did in the pre-2007 models.) Eventually it'll get stuck in the down position and you have to go back to the dealer and reset it. Anyway, this is what they said. And that's why it was decontented to begin with. You'd think Daimler would just fix it instead of removing it altogether

See above. It's not that they don't know how to do it, but that they refuse. The bottom line is simply to find somebody willing to do it (the right dealer or an Indy with SDS.)
Old 12-28-2010, 01:31 AM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
If people in SoCal want this to be enabled they can PM me!
Old 12-28-2010, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
How is it that it is apparently working in other countries without getting stuck in the down position?
Don't ask me, ask MBUSA and the dealers. It's what they say......
Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Dexion
My 03 does it but only when I use keyless start go-figure.
My '04 had a menu selection that said "Make Key Dependent*" or something like that. Change that setting. With "Key Dependent" turned ON, your car is considering the 2 keys and the 2 keyless starting possibilities as 4 different keys with 4 different memory settings. When you use the key alone, there is no mirror look down position that has been memorized for that key alone, but there IS 1 memorized for the Keyless operation when used with that key. Either memorize the "look down" position 4 times... Key 1, Key 2, KGo w/ Key 1, K Go w/ Key 2 with each of the 2 keys also or turn off the "Key Dependent" setting, so the car responds the same no matter which key or keyless is in use. Be sure only 1 key is near the car at a time while you program so as not to confuse the key receivers within the car.

* A now deleted menu choice due to customer confusion.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 12-28-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
My '04 had a menu selection that said "Make Key Dependent" or something like that. Change that setting. You car is considering the 2 keys and the 2 keyless starting possibilities as 4 different keys with 4 different memory settings. When you use the key, there is no mirror look down position that has been memorized for that key. Either memorize it with each of the 2 keys also or change the "Key Dependent" setting.
Simply TURN OFF key dependend in your cluster display with your steering wheel buttons. Leave the right side (passenger side) mirror switch pushed down and it will work.

When you're in reverse gear you can adjust the angle of the mirror how you want it. Once you did that press M to enter memory mode, then press 1, 2 or 3 (depending which number stores your personal settings) then press and hold M again for 3 to 5 seconds to store the settings incl. your parking position mirror setting. You're all set.

When you switch to D the mirror takes about 5 seconds to move back up. This is done that way b/c sometimes you need to go back and forth to park correctly and the mirror doesn't have to move up and down which takes some time.