E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Parktronic? and other options; Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Mercedes S550 4Matic, 2020 Mercedes GLE 450 4Matic
Parktronic? and other options; Is it worth it?

I am one of those with prepaid Nav and will be getting a new E500. I also would like to consider new options which are now apparently part of the package.

I have neck problems and have great difficulty rotating around to look behind when backing up. Will Parktronic benefit me? How much does it cost?

Also should I get the Bi-xenon headlights or the package with them? The current E500 headlights are terrible, especially on the driver's side (pointed down too much!)

How much is keyless go?

What other options are essential in your opinion? (I do not prefer to spend money on the Panoramic roof since I don't use the sunroof hardly at all.)

I am considering the charcoal interior vs my current ash interior because of the cloth stains and markings that are inevitable. How do those with charcoal like theirs? (My body paint is Brilliant silver)
Old 05-04-2003, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
In my opinion Parktronic is not worth the $$. Not really helpful and you really can't park by watching the lights. Xenon headlamps are a must, however.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e500
i like the parktronic, on my navigator it is really helpful, but on the benz, i wish it had a greater distance capability, because for the benz, it starts to work when you are very close.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:13 AM

Parktronic rocks

Having scratched every other new car in the first six months or so because I was trying to get too close--I can assure you that Parktronic works as advertised. I have not messed with my bumpers yet.

More than anything else, it forces you to be conservative in your parking. It works for me, and I use it every day at least twice a day. It is, by far, the most used option on my E.

Worth every penny IMHO.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
If you are not price sensitive, go for Parktronic (it works as advertised), Xenons, air cooled seats, etc. However, they are luxury features ... meaning not worth the dollars you must pay (IMHO) and you will never get your money back if you trade cars frequently.

I ended up with the heated / cooled seats in my car and the Xenons cam with the sport package. Like parktronic, the air cooled seats are a nice feature but im sure that it will cost me about $80 each time i actually use it. I am in the minority hear, but the Xenon's are a big disappointment to me in that they are brighter and more visable but the range is less that the normal head lights.

If you do alot of parallel parking, parktronic is really a cool feature and functional. However, it does not make up for not being able to get the car in the spot ... only the distance to the bumper you are about to hit!
Old 05-05-2003, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
I suggest that you get the keyless go. I really think that is a cool options to go with your luxury car. Like heated seats or air ventilated seats is depend on where you live. If you like live in cold weather i suggest to get the heated seats and steering wheel and if you live in hot area then you might wanna get the ventilated seats.

Sport package is the other options that is cool. If you like the black wood, i think this is a really gud options for you
Old 05-05-2003, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Options

I live in So. Cal. That being said, there are mornings and evenings I absolutely dig the seat heaters. Mrs. EDJ especially likes them any time of day/night.

I would get the pano roof next time, MHO.

I really really like how well the charcoal interior hides dirt/dust.

As for sport vs. non-sport....the bi-xenons and other sport pkg features make the sport more cost-effective than just buying the xenon option alone. That and I LOVE the solid five-spoke wheels (chromies baby!) versus the split spokes that I do not care much for. All that said, I'm glad I got the sport pkg even though I much prefer the burl wood versus the black bird's eye maple.

OH!! and if you got some extra dough, I LOVE MY DRIVE DYNAMIC SEATS!!

HTH,

EDJ
Old 05-05-2003, 01:31 PM

2013 GL550
DRKSUH - My E500 came with all of the options you listed in your post. I didn't order the car - it was on the dealer lot already. I really thought the parktronic and keyless go were frivolous at first but they come in handy. Parktronic is good if you park in self-park garages like I do - concrete walls and pillars usually win when you hit them. It ends the guessing when pulling in or out of the spot.

Keyless go is OK - it's the one thing I would not do over again. I think it would work better for women - they could leave the key in the purse and just grab the door. But it makes for a real showstopper when you're showing people the new car!

Gotta get the sport package and the xenons. It really makes the car, IMO. From resale alone, most cars will have HID's in a few years so if your doesn't have them it might make a difference.

Pano roof with the solar panels - I have really come to like these features. It makes the whole interior brighter - on cold sunny days it stays warmer and in the heat the solar panels run the fans. I got in the car last week when it was about 75 and the fans were running - very trick. Combined with the ventilated seats I'm covered.

Good luck with your choices!!! You can't go wrong, really. Oh yeah - go with the charcoal.

Last edited by BMcD-E500; 05-05-2003 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Mercedes S550 4Matic, 2020 Mercedes GLE 450 4Matic
Replies appreciated!

Thanks to everyone for your much valued opiniions. I will consider your experience and advice.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Options

Parking distance control--I would definately get it. I wife would have a lot of trouble parking the cart without it. The Panoramic roof looks great and brings in a lot of light. Saves the bumpers!

The one option above all else I would get is the Keyless-GO--What a convenience and luxury. Works great!

As a side note, we got the car with the wood steering wheel. Really adds to the interior (Sport) and feels real nice in your hands. Pricey, but only a few more dollars a month.

LC