E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E-Class buy back

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Ford Taurus with 13" rims
E-Class buy back

I just wanted update everyone on my navigation situation. As most of you know, I am leasing (and wont be buying at the end) and felt the deal for the navigation was a bad deal.

After letting MB know this past Friday, that by not having the Nav ready by the promised time they defaulted on our initial contract. Just a few hours ago a MB rep called me and let me know that they are offering to buy my car back.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:43 PM
mco

ML430, E500
Re: E-Class buy back

Did you prepay for the navigation system on your lease?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:17 PM

14 'E550
Our car is a lease and the Nav was prepaid in the lease, the dealer is ordering the exact same E500 Sport (only addition is Nav). They would not do any sort of color change.

The car should be in mid July or so.

I think the way MB handled this was complete BS honestly.

The only plus that came out of this is that the Mileage that was accumulated on the non-Nav car gets wiped out when the new car comes in.

Last edited by Beltfed; 05-05-2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:27 PM

e500
oo a buy back, i want my money back for my e class, so will they buy it back>?
Old 05-05-2003, 08:35 PM

To answer your questions, yes, I did pre-pay for my Nav. Also, for anyone who is not happy with the way MB is treating you; you do NOT have to accept the offer they made.

If you told the dealer to order your car, and you did not sign anything...call the dealer, and tell then to stop the process. Now, given, I am in Wisconsin (one of the most consumer friendly states), but what MB did was not legal. They defaulted on the contract; just call MB directly, and relay this to them. Once again, their offer isnt legal, and isnt the end of the road.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Beltfed
only plus that came out of this is that the Mileage that was accumulated on the non-Nav car gets wiped out when the new car comes in.
Do you intend on buying the car at the end of your lease? If not, the new car does nothing for you. I myself was in this same situation. I did not want to buy my car, I just re-lease.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:07 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by wesam
Do you intend on buying the car at the end of your lease? If not, the new car does nothing for you. I myself was in this same situation. I did not want to buy my car, I just re-lease.
I never buy cars at the end of their lease terms. The only advantage to this exchange is that the new car will have Nav and all of the mileage that is on the car by the time it gets exchanged will be completely wiped out. The new car should have no more than 20 or so miles on it, its like starting from scratch. So, in the meantime we are driving the current car frequently.

We are 6 months into a 30 months lease, by the time the new car comes we'll be about 9 months in.

That's about it, a color change would have been nice so at least we can feel like we're getting a new car.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:26 PM

As people have posted here before MB is now letting people change their color choices. So, like I said before, if you didn't sign anything, take this up with your dealer.

Also, unless you intend to use those aditional miles, you dont gain from them. Myself for example, I do not intend to drive over the allotted miles in my lease. Even more soon, not to the point when I would benefit from it.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:33 PM

14 'E550
As people have posted here before MB is now letting people change their color choices. So, like I said before, if you didn't sign anything, take this up with your dealer.

Also, unless you intend to use those aditional miles, you dont gain from them.

I'm going to address the color issue again, probably tomorrow.....but 1 or 2 people saying "Hey, my dealer said its ok to change colors" doesn't seem to hold much water with them.

One way or the other, I'll take advantage of the free/extra miles.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:04 PM

I'm going to address the color issue again, probably tomorrow.....but 1 or 2 people saying "Hey, my dealer said its ok to change colors" doesn't seem to hold much water with them.

One way or the other, I'll take advantage of the free/extra miles.
For what it's worth, my Evil (TM) dealer is saying the same thing, despite drb's experience otherwise at another branch. The GM is not willing to bend on the color/options issue. I have recommended that they talk to the guys in the other branch (where drb got his car). Barring that, I will bring in the heavy cavalry (i.e. a fax from MB to say you idiots, it's OK).

The amount of bad will this has generated is enough for me to never buy another MB again--this--despite the fact that I absolutely love my car. What a mess.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:20 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by monakh
The GM is not willing to bend on the color/options issue.
The amount of bad will this has generated is enough for me to never buy another MB again--this--despite the fact that I absolutely love my car. What a mess.

Well, that's the thing...before even bringing up the color issue, I knew I was going to be shot down. The GM of my dealer is a complete A-hole (nasty SOB). So, it really wasn't a surprise that they said no on the color change.

This situation does leave a fairly bad taste in my mouth to say the least, the entire situation was handled half ***.

Are you reading this MB?
Old 05-05-2003, 10:29 PM

What is the point of a buy back, I like the car (E500) and don't know what else I would lease at this point. Except that I think that they handled this very poorly, I do think the offer is fair. What else could you ask for, You wanted a specific car with nav and that is what you are getting (albeit 4 months late). They should/could offer some compensation for the delay.

I spoke to my dealer on Saturday and first he said that the new car had to be the the same color and options, when I said that I heard that you could change colors and options he conceeded that you could add options (no deletions) and that the deal seems to be changing on a daily basis.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:37 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by craign
They should/could offer some compensation for the delay.
You hit the nail on the head, they should absolutely be offering some compensation along with the new car.

Since that's out though, at least let me change the F*ing color

Last edited by Beltfed; 05-06-2003 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:36 PM

Well, that's the thing...before even bringing up the color issue, I knew I was going to be shot down. The GM of my dealer is a complete A-hole (nasty SOB). So, it really wasn't a surprise that they said no on the color change.

This situation does leave a fairly bad taste in my mouth to say the least, the entire situation was handled half ***.

Are you reading this MB?
The point of the buy is to get some type of compensation for the 4-5 additional months they want us to wait for a car with Nav. In my case, I get no benefit from the initial deal. Some people however, do benefit (i.e. people that buy, or will buy after the lease). I figure with the buy back, I can wait an extra month and buy a '04 E500 IF I wanted....and still come out with a couple of grand in my pocket (because you can get an E-class cheaper now, than in October of 02').

Notice I said “if I wanted to” buy a 04'; MB has burned a bridge with me, and I'm going with a 545i. I love my car also, but this experience out weighs what I felt about the car.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:05 AM

wesam

I feel the same as you, however the interior of the new 5 has me second guessing. The E interior outclasses the best of breed interiors out there and the new 5's seems to be lacking immensely.

Seems like, as I have said earlier, that we are out of choices here...

Lexus or bust?
Old 05-06-2003, 09:34 AM

2003 MB E500
To answer your questions, yes, I did pre-pay for my Nav. Also, for anyone who is not happy with the way MB is treating you; you do NOT have to accept the offer they made.

If you told the dealer to order your car, and you did not sign anything...call the dealer, and tell then to stop the process. Now, given, I am in Wisconsin (one of the most consumer friendly states), but what MB did was not legal. They defaulted on the contract; just call MB directly, and relay this to them. Once again, their offer isnt legal, and isnt the end of the road.
I called MB late last week to complain about the settlement and my dealer's lack of response. They basically said that is the offer. I cannot talk to other dealers and MB cannot do anything to force my dealer to do more than the offer letter states. So essentially it was too bad, take it or leave it. Maybe they have gotten enough calls since then to soften their stand.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:38 AM

2003 MB E500

Also, unless you intend to use those aditional miles, you dont gain from them. Myself for example, I do not intend to drive over the allotted miles in my lease. Even more soon, not to the point when I would benefit from it.
See that is part of the problem here. My dealer will allow NO changes whatsoever, including color. I have told them that other dealers are allowing changes. The reponse to me, Well we are not! If MB is allowing it, every dealer should be doing it!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:07 AM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Originally posted by rayscar
See that is part of the problem here. My dealer will allow NO changes whatsoever, including color. I have told them that other dealers are allowing changes. The reponse to me, Well we are not! If MB is allowing it, every dealer should be doing it!
It is MBUSA who is allowing the color change, not the dealer. The dealer passes the customers' request through the system. When I notified my dealer of the MBUSA policy change (of last Friday), they called MBUSA, got the message, called me back to confirm, and processed my color change request.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:01 AM

2003 MB E500
Hi drb. I told my dealer the same thing last week and they still flatly refused to make any changes. I called MB to complain and they said that issue is between me and the dealer. They cannot force the dealer to do it.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:53 PM

rayscar

HBL sucks!

Sorry...I know that doesn't help. I am in a similar bind myself.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:05 PM

2003 MB E500
Re: rayscar

Originally posted by monakh
HBL sucks!

Sorry...I know that doesn't help. I am in a similar bind myself.
I agree!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 01:42 PM

2003 MB E500
Here's the latest from my dealer. We placed the order for the replacement car. He agreed to add the wood wheel, at my expense, and said I can change the color if I wish. So at least there was some movement. He said he is not sure MB will accept the order with the wheel added but I said others are doing it. I was told it is scheduled for the 3rd decade in June with a July delivery. Hopefully that will move up if MB has slots reserved for replacement cars!
Old 05-06-2003, 02:02 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Originally posted by rayscar
Here's the latest from my dealer. We placed the order for the replacement car. He agreed to add the wood wheel, at my expense, and said I can change the color if I wish. So at least there was some movement. He said he is not sure MB will accept the order with the wheel added but I said others are doing it. I was told it is scheduled for the 3rd decade in June with a July delivery. Hopefully that will move up if MB has slots reserved for replacement cars!
Interesting. Glad to see some traction. My experience differed as follows....When I modified my order I changed the color and added keyless go. I mentioned the wood wheel was tossed in free by the saleman. The order taker said the wheel would be installed by the dealer, and other changes would be completed by the factory. Your experience may vary. I have a build date in May...do not have exact date.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:00 PM

2003 MB E500
Drb, looks like I purchased from the wrong dealer in Northern VA! There is NO way HBL is going to throw in a free wheel. That's a business decision they have to make but in my case it will cost them future business. IMO they are a penny wise and pound-foolish.

Anyway congrats on getting a good deal. BTW, what color did you change to? I'm thinking about changing my stone interior because it is hard to maintain with two small children.
Old 05-06-2003, 04:17 PM

14 'E550
Ok, here is my update.....figure I owe it to the board to post.

The dealer found out today that the color and options can be changed. So, I put in my request for a different color (no problem).

If I had asked for a free anything though, I would have been laughed out of the showroom.

Thanks MB for being "somewhat" flexible

Last edited by Beltfed; 05-06-2003 at 04:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E-Class buy back