E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New JD Power Ratings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 02:10 PM
CRB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem I have with the touch screen navs is that a whole lot more than nav gets integrated into the touchscreen. Functions like HVAC and radio presets are integrated into the nav system monitor and I don't like it. Touchscreen nav works for me but when I have to page through to get a radio preset or Disk 6 Track 12 then there is a problem. I'm talking about the system in the Lexus RX300.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
NavNut

Well said. I have had the same thoughts many times. How hard can it be to treat your customers well? They are just driving (no pun intended) customers away. I was over at Lexus the other day, and they said a large part of their business is frustrated MB owners.

I almost don't ever want a touch-screen dvd, because even if I never use it, I don't want people coming into my car and putting their greasy mitts all over it...

As far as the fingerprints on touch screens is concerned, I respect your opinion. I also hate it when people touch my computer screen - especially on my laptop. That said, I still want it on my Nav. I use it all the time in the Boeing that I fly, and it just works so well. The new screens tend to resist fingerprints, and mine don't tend to be greasy. It would be worth it for me to wipe it down once in a while to get the functionality (Heck, I have to wipe down the wheels every day to get rid of that darn brake dust!). However, I respect your preference.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
If the NAV is touch screen , that means you have to look at the screen evrytime yuowant to type or enter something in. If it is a knob like the mercedes now you can memorize how many clicks it is. Thats what i did with my car and i only have 2,600 miles. I know how many clicks it is for all the radio stuff for example. Isn't it better this way??
Old 05-13-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NavNut-
I would highly recommend the Volvo European Delivery program, they treat your first notch. I was over there in mid-April to pick up my '03 V70 T5, its pretty much fully loaded, except for a few features. It would of cost me approximately $35K here in the US, but with the Euro delivery program, the car was $30K and change out the door WITH the trip to Europe. The trip included 5 nights hotel and breakfast and lunch for each day as well. Two nights in Niese (French Riveria) then 3 nights in Gottenberg. This all included transportation (airfare as well as cab), I can't say enough about Volvo and how far they went to make this a pleasing experience.

Now, granted a Volvo is no MB, but if your fed up with MB and there hassles, like everyone is, you might want to try this. Plus, Volvo has MORE safety features then MB and also has a DVD based Nav system that I know you want (and yes, it is not touch screen ).

I believe the cost of the trip to Europe was $250 each, for my wife and I, which included the airfare, hotel stay, food and transportation.

Great Customer Service. Hope this helps.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally posted by gbahri
If the NAV is touch screen , that means you have to look at the screen evrytime yuowant to type or enter something in. If it is a knob like the mercedes now you can memorize how many clicks it is. Thats what i did with my car and i only have 2,600 miles. I know how many clicks it is for all the radio stuff for example. Isn't it better this way??
No it isn't. I have the old Comand now, and the radio works with knobs just as you are used to. All the screen is used for is to display which radio station is on, and to set certain preferences. A touch screen would be the same. You would not normally set these things while you were driving! As far as the Nav, which do you think is easier, turning a knob to select the letters in a street address one at a time, or using a virtual keyboard to just type them in like on a computer?
Old 05-13-2003, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
After having participated at the E-Motion MB promotion event, I was extremely elated with the new E 500: handling, sound system, looks.

The car is loaded with new innovative electronics surpassing the S-Class.

After the Sept. 2002 E-Motion event I wrote:

"I spent two days last weekend at the E-motion event in Miami.

Clearly, the new E is a step UP to the S and has many features/designs that go beyond S, Cl, and SL class. The
new E is a winner from the get-go!!

Regrettably, the new CLK is a step DOWM and looks PUNY. It is - closer to the C230 Coupe."

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=16792

Sadly, first impressions are sometimes just that. I am still hopeful that,- within a couple of years (???), - the E 55 will be living up to the first impression.