E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

w211 amp install questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e320 cdi
w211 amp install questions

i just got my 2005 e320 cdi and am itching to see if it's possible to hook up my previous subs out of my old 99 eclass in the trunk, but am needing some help/advice before proceeding...any help will be greatly appreciated as I haven't been able to find all the info needed searching the forum

a. knowing the battery is in the back, is it best/problematic to run the 12v power and ground straight to/from the battery, or do i need to ground the amp to the frame (if so, where-any pics?)?

b. Where do you tap for the remote power wire-any pic would be helpful also?

c. where do you tap for the rca/line output converter?

d. is there any other precautions/etc that would be useful during/after the install so any warning lights, etc go off?

Thanks a lot in advance. I was able to do this pretty easily using the forum from my 99 E, but am having some trouble with this one.

chaz
Old 03-20-2011, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
ground it off the chassis so if the battery dies the bcm will cut the amp before a totally dead battery.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:13 AM

2005 e320 cdi
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
ground it off the chassis so if the battery dies the bcm will cut the amp before a totally dead battery.

Good call. Thanks, completely forgot about the computer shutting off in that situation. Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 PM

2005 e320 cdi
Any one have any ideas for remote wire? Im trying not to run a wire all the way from the comand to the trunk. Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
to your fuse box in your trunk. Mine is on the driver side (fuse #14) but not sure about your . Just check it.

c. where do you tap for the rca/line output converter?

Tap it to your stock sub . On my clk, it is locate on the driver side too ...not sure if you can open the grill on your sub so that you can tap it from there.

Last edited by M-bENZ; 03-20-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM

2005 e320 cdi
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
to your fuse box in your trunk. Mine is on the driver side (fuse #14) but not sure about your . Just check it.
Thanks. Yeah the fuse box is on the driver's side as well. I'll take a look at #14...what size fuse are you running with this remote wire? Any problems with the warning lights/etc? lastly, just in case my #14 isn't free or doesn't shut off when the car is off, how did you go about finding out to use #14?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
u have to have the tester to test which one is off when the ignition is off...I know the fuse #14 and 15 are spare for sure but not sure on your.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:40 PM

2005 e320 cdi
u have to have the tester to test which one is off when the ignition is off...I know the fuse #14 and 15 are spare for sure but not sure on your.

Gotcha, i'll grab a 12v tester and check it. last question, as I think I should be alright in harvesting the RCA line outs from the existing factory sub/speakers is, what size fuse did you plug in to #14?

Thanks again
Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
I forgot lolz. Yes just tapped it from the stock sub ( dont need the hi/lo converter). Get one of your RCA cable out and cut the other half ...strip the wire then use that to connect to your stock sub ( go to your back seat/driver side and trying to see if you can open the grill ? if not you will have to locate your stock amp). The other end goes to your aftermarket amp. I have a DIY thread somewhere and if you need it u will have to search.

Here is my DIY thread....read it Hope that helps

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-stock-hu.html

Last edited by M-bENZ; 03-20-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 PM

2005 e320 cdi
I forgot lolz. Yes just tapped it from the stock sub ( dont need the hi/lo converter). Get one of your RCA cable out and cut the other half ...strip the wire then use that to connect to your stock sub ( go to your back seat/driver side and trying to see if you can open the grill ? if not you will have to locate your stock amp). The other end goes to your aftermarket amp. I have a DIY thread somewhere and if you need it u will have to search.

haha, no worries. So your saying to skip on a RCA converter and directly splice a RCA cable to each of the speaker wires on the stock sub? I suppose the reasoning is that each wire is already a blend of the left and right +ve and the other a blend of the -ve? Just making sure the bass signal is from both sides so the bass is complete and not faded to one side vs the other.

Sorry for the stupidity, this car is much different than the w210.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
My CLK only has one sub on the driver side...Are you sure u have two ?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 PM

2005 e320 cdi
My CLK only has one sub on the driver side...Are you sure u have two ?

sorry for the confusion, yeah, mine has one sub...i was just seeing if by connecting the factory wires from the factory sub and splicing them with the RCA wires, if you ended up full bass or only left-sided bass (bass that's put on onto the left side of the car as if the balance was pushed all the way to the left) or only right-sided? I think Im grasping everything you've said to do, now I've got to wait until next weekend to implement it.

Lastly, did you put a 15 or 25 amp,etc in your fuse box #14) when you connected it for the remote wire? or did you simply just connect the wire and no fuse?

Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Do this when you are at ur sub disconnect the connector you will see what I'm talking about . And there is no fuse ... Just plug the remote wire to the fuse box .
Old 03-20-2011, 10:46 PM

2005 e320 cdi
Do this when you are at ur sub disconnect the connector you will see what I'm talking about . And there is no fuse ... Just plug the remote wire to the fuse box .
I see. I will open it up and take a look. I appreciate it all. Hopefully it all works without a snag. Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
If you go through the thread i posted above ...you should be able to get it done.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
This is just the thread I was looking for!

I've got a 2002 W211 E320 but it has the stock speaker set up (ie, no factory sub). I have been advised to simply connect the neg sub wire to say the left side stock speaker neg wire (spliced in) and then to do the same with the pos sub wire, to the pos speaker wire on the other side of the trunk. I've been advised to connect the remote wire to one of the 12v trunk lamps (but I think it'll be better to connect to the fusebox as suggested above) and then power to the battery and ground to chasis.

Have I got this the right way? Any advise would be much appreciated. This is such a lovely car, especially in the summer in the gorgeous british sunshine
Old 01-14-2014, 08:37 PM

w211

Here is my DIY thread....read it Hope that helps

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-stock-hu.html
I know this is an old thread but are there any negatives to going this route? Are LOC's (line output converters) only used when taking signals from the rear speakers?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 PM

2003 E500 sport
I was wondering if someone could help me I was thinking of adding a aftermarket amp to my stock speakers but wanna change my factory amp as we'll I am new to this any help would be greatly appreciated .
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GL450
One question. Why? Leave it alone. Way too much headache. What's a different amp going to do that your stock amp can't?

But to answer your question. You can't cancel out your stock amp completely. You have to leave it in place. Then you will have to install a line out converter on all speaker outputs from the amp, the. Hook up those to your aftermarket amp as an input. Then wire your speakers to the aftermarket amp.

IMHO it will sound like ****. Now if you plan on replacing your head unit also, then it's a different story.

It's one thing hooking up a sub using a line out converter,
it's a whole Nother thing using them for the other speakers. Trust me that you do not want to do this, you will be very disappointed with the sound quality.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.