E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350,2003 bmw e39 540ia, 2002 F150
Extended Warranty

Well after all the questions, I ended up going with the Penske warranty from dealership. I did not trust over the phone or internet deals. Now at least I have someone I can see face to face and wants to make me happy. I have 3 years up to 75k miles, I am currently at 32k on a 2007 E350, and will probably sell within 2 years. It cost me 3100.00, they said it was suppose to be 3800.00 but I said someone gave me a quote of 3100.00. A little more than some but cheaper than MB and my credit union which wanted 6000.00. I will keep everyone posted by my first service issue. Ken
Old 04-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Depending on what they cover that is a awesome deal you got yourself.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Warranty

Originally Posted by Mackhack
Depending on what they cover that is a awesome deal you got yourself.
Well I was told by my service manager they will cover everything, Penske owns this MB dealership and does not want angry customers so I think I am safe. We will see. Thanx Ken
Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by det42phx
Well I was told by my service manager they will cover everything, Penske owns this MB dealership and does not want angry customers so I think I am safe. We will see. Thanx Ken
I would be very careful with this statement about angry customers. I can tell you my own stories about Penske here at MB of SD. You would try to leave the country to get away as far as possible from these people.

And I heard that before that they will cover everything

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Isn't the MB ELW not that much more than the $3,100 you paid?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 PM

2007 E550, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
X2. I paid about $2600 for the ELW from Mercedes when I bought my E550. Good to 2014/160,000Km. The warranty was on promo at the time but I recall the regular price was about $3400?

Last edited by BenzboyW210; 04-01-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 E350-4M SPORT
I just got the 6/75 MB EW for $3000. But, my car is still under the original factory warranty. I'm not sure what options are available, after that expires.

Trending Topics

Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 PM

No they wanted 4100.00 for MB.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by SteveC325
I just got the 6/75 MB EW for $3000. But, my car is still under the original factory warranty. I'm not sure what options are available, after that expires.
My car was under warranty till 3/28/11. I shopped around Shumaker in Scottsdale did have a 3 yr 36k for 2900 but I wanted a dealership I have dealt with before, It was not MB plan either.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by det42phx
No they wanted 4100.00 for MB.
BTW just so you know for the future, the prices quoted are negotiable and any MB dealer can sell it to you so you can shop around. It just needs to be done while still under the original warranty.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Banned

You can buy an extended warranty anytime! I just asked bc mine ran out! What they do is a full check to see the entire car inside out then qoute you! Butthe older the car the more expensive! I didn't buy it! I put a couple of thousand bucks on a savings account for just the car in case something happens! If I need the money it's there, if not I still have it plus the interest it accumulates now for me!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:27 PM

2015 E350-4M SPORT
They do not require an inspection to purchase the EW.

I called my dealer, told him I had been shopping around for the EW and the best price I was given was $3300 + tax, with the 15% surcharge waived. Five minutes on the phone with the finance manager, $3100 total charged to my Visa and I received the contract in the mail two days later. They only asked me how many miles were on the vehicle.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Banned

OK Steve. That's your experience. Mine was as seen above.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:57 PM

2015 E350-4M SPORT
I'm not saying you were not asked to have your car inspected. It sucks that you had to take time out of your life to go to the dealership, so they could look at your car. I wonder if that was because you were outside of the 4/50 original warranty?!?!?!

I called 5 dealers for quotes in my area and not one of them required anything more from me than my money

I even asked the first few (they were far away from me) if I would need to bring my car in. They all told me that all I needed to do was give them the VIN and current mileage, since they could look me up in the system and see my last service and be confident that was still under factory warranty.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by SteveC325
They do not require an inspection to purchase the EW.

I called my dealer, told him I had been shopping around for the EW and the best price I was given was $3300 + tax, with the 15% surcharge waived. Five minutes on the phone with the finance manager, $3100 total charged to my Visa and I received the contract in the mail two days later. They only asked me how many miles were on the vehicle.
Good job. That is a good price for the MB ELW. Maybe you should share who gave you this price as I'm sure it would be useful.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
When you people discuss warranties, be sure to differentiate between the MBUSA CPO extended warranty and the original owner MBUSA extended factory warranty. They are different products with a different pricing structure.

It's like when people compare insurance rates and say they pay X number of dollars for "full coverage" car insurance. "Full coverage" is meaningless (do you carry $1mil liability or $100k liability?? Both are "full coverage" but they are different products and with different premiums....)

If you bought a CPO'd car you have options to purchase a few MBUSA products as warranties. If you are the original owner and the car is still under factory warranty, then you have two products: a 3/75 and a 3/100.

MSRP does reflect on the model (i.e., AMG prices versus non-AMG, etc..)

All other products are not MBUSA products, but instead are 3rd party products. There are certain advantages that come from buying the MBUSA products.

For people looking for MBUSA products at a reasonable discount, check this dealership. His pricing is very similar to "Lisa" from the MB dealership in Chico CA (a finance person who was popular with MB World members..... except that she now longer works there....)

Tim Sorrick
Finance Manager
Modesto European
3900 McHenry Ave
Modesto, CA 95356
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Banned

Tim good post of yours.

I had a 3rd party extended warranty and once that ran out the dealership told me if I want to go with a MB extended warranty they would have to inspect the car first to check of any "pre-conditions". But at my mileage it wasn't worth it anymore. They offered like a 20k mile/2 year extended warranty for over 5k whereas my extended warranty was 2 years/30k miles for about 3k. So I didn't proceed and instead put a few grant away for repairs.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Honestly I think what they offer you is determined by where their profit is. I wanted to purchase my MB ELW warranty from my local dealer so I called them up to get a quote. I was under the 4/50. They said that I was not eligible for the ELW because I was not the original owner. I knew better because I talked to MBUSA personally and told them that. They said they sold them every day and I could not cover my car with the ELW if I was not the original owner. They instead attempted to sell me a Chrysler warranty on the car (which I have heard is okay but I was no interested in at the time). So I picked up the phone and called another dealer in the area and inquired about the ELW. They quoted me a reasonable price and I gave them my CC over the phone and it was done. Received the contract in the mail no questions asked.

I wasn't about to argue with my local dealer. It seemed to me that they either made more profit from the Chrysler warranty or they didn't know their product. Either way they did not get my business on that transaction. But I tried to give it to them.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 AM

2007 E550, 2007 GL450
Looks like MB Canada has a bit of a different approach on warranties? It appears anyone (not just original owner) can purchase the Extended Limited Warranty (ELW) as long as the car is still within the original factory warranty period. So even if you purchase a used Benz that comes with the Pre-Owned Star Certified Warranty, you can upgrade to the full MB ELW as long as the vehicle is still within the factory warranty period at that time. This is what I did when I purchased the E550. As mentioned, I bought the ELW at a discount...which is perhaps what the explanation below refers to.

From MB Canada -

When can I purchase this warranty?[3]

The Extended Limited Warranty can be purchased at any time during the new vehicle basic warranty period (48 months / 80,000 km), as long as the current owner purchased the vehicle from an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer.

If you have a Star Certified Warranty from a Pre-Owned purchase, it can be upgraded to an Extended Limited Warranty at any time during the new vehicle basic warranty period, as long as the vehicle has been regularly maintained by an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer. Depending on your model and date of purchase, $850 to $1,900 could be rebated off the purchase price of the Extended Limited Warranty.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
That's the way it is supposed to be in the US, but you hear different versions of that depending on the dealer you talk to. Sad.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:32 AM

2007 E550, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
That's the way it is supposed to be in the US, but you hear different versions of that depending on the dealer you talk to. Sad.
Ah, gotcha.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 AM

2003 E500 Lorinser
Wonder if I can get a EW from MB over here.. didn't buy the car from a dealer, got it person-to-person. Think that matters?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
That's correct. But it's not really sad other than many dealers just don't know the product they are selling. The MBUSA rules are kind of odd, though.

See my post above: https://mbworld.org/forums/4606632-post16.html

In that post I mentioned that if you have bought a CPO you have a few products you can purchase. If you are the original owner you have only two products to purchase. And those latter two products (7/75 and 7/100) also includes a second hand owner buying from a private party, BUT only if the factory warranty hasn't expired and the car was serviced by a MB dealership (as in Polar Bear's case.) Although you will have to pay a 15% surcharge (as you will if you are the original owner and don't buy within a specific time period after taking delivery of your new car; the last I recall the rule was within 60 days.)

If you have bought a CPO you aren't eligible for those specific two MBUSA factory extended warranties (ELW) but you're eligible for the CPO extended warranty products. Meaning you can also buy the latest 7/135k product (which is a new MBUSA product announced in February 2011.)

The odd thing with the "MBUSA rules" is that if you purchased a vehicle from a MB dealership as a non-CPO vehicle, then you are not eligible for the extended warranty, even if it is still under factory warranty. But you are eligible if you bought second hand from a private party (a non-CPO) and the car is still under factory warranty and the car was MB dealership serviced. One reason for this is because MBUSA is pushing dealers to sell CPO program cars. And they also are giving original MB owners a little "bonus" to help sell their car privately (by telling a prospective buyer that the car qualifies for the MBUSA ELW.)

If you buy the MBUSA ELW and the car has not yet run out of the original factory warranty, you can cancel the contract and get a 100% refund. If the car has run out of the original factory warranty and is now under the ELW, then you can still cancel the contract and get a pro rated refund. The product is also transferable to anyone who buys your car (if you don't want to get a pro rated refund at the time you sell the car.)

If you want the CPO products, but don't have a CPO'd car then you can sell the car to a MB dealer, get it CPO'd, and then buy it back as a CPO. Some dealers will do this and it will cost you (also be aware of your state's tax rules and DMV fees, etc.), but it is an option that some people have done.

Everybody understand? I hope so....

Mackhack: I'm not "Tim." But Tim is somebody who knows the products and will sell them at a decent discounted price, like "Lisa" from Courtesy Mercedes-Benz used to do. Tim is the finance manager at Modesto European Mercedes-Benz (see my post for his contact info.)

Phyrewall: the above only pertains to MBUSA as the importer of Mercedes in the US and cars purchased within the US.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Good info as usual. What is technically different (in terms of coverage) between the CPO warranty and the Mb ELW purchased by an original owner?

Originally Posted by 220S
That's correct. But it's not really sad other than many dealers just don't know the product they are selling. The MBUSA rules are kind of odd, though.

See my post above: https://mbworld.org/forums/4606632-post16.html

In that post I mentioned that if you have bought a CPO you have a few products you can purchase. If you are the original owner you have only two products to purchase. And those latter two products (7/75 and 7/100) also includes a second hand owner buying from a private party, BUT only if the factory warranty hasn't expired and the car was serviced by a MB dealership (as in Polar Bear's case.) Although you will have to pay a 15% surcharge (as you will if you are the original owner and don't buy within a specific time period after taking delivery of your new car; the last I recall the rule was within 60 days.)

If you have bought a CPO you aren't eligible for those specific two MBUSA factory extended warranties (ELW) but you're eligible for the CPO extended warranty products. Meaning you can also buy the latest 7/135k product (which is a new MBUSA product announced in February 2011.)

The odd thing with the "MBUSA rules" is that if you purchased a vehicle from a MB dealership as a non-CPO vehicle, then you are not eligible for the extended warranty, even if it is still under factory warranty. But you are eligible if you bought second hand from a private party (a non-CPO) and the car is still under factory warranty and the car was MB dealership serviced. One reason for this is because MBUSA is pushing dealers to sell CPO program cars. And they also are giving original MB owners a little "bonus" to help sell their car privately (by telling a prospective buyer that the car qualifies for the MBUSA ELW.)

If you buy the MBUSA ELW and the car has not yet run out of the original factory warranty, you can cancel the contract and get a 100% refund. If the car has run out of the original factory warranty and is now under the ELW, then you can still cancel the contract and get a pro rated refund. The product is also transferable to anyone who buys your car (if you don't want to get a pro rated refund at the time you sell the car.)

If you want the CPO products, but don't have a CPO'd car then you can sell the car to a MB dealer, get it CPO'd, and then buy it back as a CPO. Some dealers will do this and it will cost you (also be aware of your state's tax rules and DMV fees, etc.), but it is an option that some people have done.

Everybody understand? I hope so....

Mackhack: I'm not "Tim." But Tim is somebody who knows the products and will sell them at a decent discounted price, like "Lisa" from Courtesy Mercedes-Benz used to do. Tim is the finance manager at Modesto European Mercedes-Benz (see my post for his contact info.)

Phyrewall: the above only pertains to MBUSA as the importer of Mercedes in the US and cars purchased within the US.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good info as usual. What is technically different (in terms of coverage) between the CPO warranty and the Mb ELW purchased by an original owner?
I only have the coverage contract for the MBUSA ELW (I'm the original owner of my car), so I can't tell you what the difference (if any) there is from the CPO extended warranty. They are considered different products by MBUSA. The MBUSA ELW is simply an extension of the original factory warranty. The CPO extended warranty seems to be equally as comprehensive, although I can't say it's precisely the same. Ask your dealer for a copy, that's how MBUSA deflects the question. They say, "consult your dealer representative for details on coverage."

Mercedes-Benz CPO Extended Warranty Information

Advanced Electronics

Coverage of most advanced electronic components including COMAND, navigation system, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Modular Control System (MCS), and CD player.

Steering

Covers most elements of the power steering system. Excludes some hoses.

Suspension

Coverage of most of the vehicle's suspension pieces and the Adaptive Damping System (ADSII), if so equipped.

Brakes

Covers most elements (excluding wear of discs and pads), including the standard Antilock Braking System (ABS).

Electrical Systems

Covers various electrical systems, includes most motors, gauges, connectors, switches, sensors, regulators, and relays.

Climate Control System

Coverage applies to certain items of the vehicle's Tempmatic or automatic climate control system, including the system's air conditioning and heating assemblies.

Central Locking System

Covers various actuators, switches, and linkages, plus remote transmitters (excluding batteries) and receivers for the remote locking system.

Convertible/Retractable Top Systems

The top-actuation systems and roll bar mechanisms are fully covered.

Other Components

Additional covered components include front and rear windshield wiper linkages, power seat drive cables, seat belt assemblies, sunroof cables, window regulators and, if applicable, the pneumatic door and trunk closing assist systems. For exact details on Extended Limited Warranty coverage, please consult with your Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Representative.

Towing and Trip Interruption Reimbursement

As with the standard MBCPO Limited Warranty provides free towing to the nearest Mercedes-Benz Dealership in the event of a covered breakdown, as well as MBUSA's Trip Interruption reimbursement program.

Engine and Powertrain

Engine coverage includes most major engine components including control module, intake, and exhaust manifolds, turbocharger, supercharger, and all internally lubricated parts, seats, and gaskets. See the MBCPO Limited Warranty Booklet for complete listings.

Powertrain coverage includes transmission and rear axle. If your MBCPO vehicle is equipped with 4MATIC™ all-wheel drive or any other Mercedes-Benz traction and stability enhancements (ASD, ASR, 4-ETS, ESP), those systems are covered as well.

Transmission

Coverage includes most major transmission components including control module, casing, clutch disc, pressure plate, and all internally lubricated parts, seals, and gaskets. See the MBCPO Limited Warranty Booklet for complete listing.

Rear Axle

Coverage includes most major rear axle components, including bearings and hubs, drive shaft, drive shaft center bearing, axle side shafts, and all internally lubricated parts, seals, and gaskets. See the MBCPO Limited Warranty Booklet for complete listing.

Stability Enhancement

Coverage includes hydraulic unit for ABS and 4-ETS systems, charging pump, pressure reservoir, control module, and vehicle speed sensors.

4MATIC All-Wheel Drive

Coverage includes most major all-wheel drive components including front axle and shaft, center section, bearings, hubs, speed sensors, control module, and all internally lubricated parts, seals, and gaskets. See the MBCPO Limited Warranty Booklet for complete listing.

SOURCE Mercedes-Benz USA

MONTVALE, N.J., Feb. 24, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- As a pioneer in pre-owned vehicle programs, Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) has introduced an enhanced extended limited warranty (ELW) for its Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicles. Effective February 2011, the Mercedes-Benz CPO ELW has additional mileage coverage for both the one and two year warranty packages: The one year will cover up to 120,000 miles (up from 100,000) and the two-year will cover up to 135,000 miles (up from 100,000).

"With each Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz comes peace of mind, because each vehicle is backed by one of the most comprehensive pre-owned vehicle limited warranties available," stated Scott Penza, department manager, pre-owned operations, MBUSA. "A Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz is much more than a 'used' car; it's a pre-owned vehicle built by a company famous for its engineering technology and commitment to safety, quality and reliability."

Every Certified Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz comes with a one year CPO warranty which covers the vehicle for one-year and up to 100,000 total vehicle accumulated miles. The MB CPO warranty begins after the Mercedes-Benz four-year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires by time or mileage, whichever comes first. The MBCPO Extended Limited Warranty begins after the Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty expires. At this point, the new CPO ELW provides vehicle coverage for another 12 months or up to 120,000 total vehicle accumulated miles or 24 months, or up to 135,000 total vehicle accumulated miles. For those Mercedes-Benz CPO vehicles that are no longer covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Mercedes-Benz CPO Limited Warranty takes effect at the time of delivery. This coverage extends to the engine and power train, steering, suspension, brakes (excluding wear of discs and pads), electrical system, climate control system and navigation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty