E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Brake Pad Wear Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e500
Brake Pad Wear Sensor Question

Hello everyone,noob here..2003 e500..I changed Brake rotors,pads and wear sensors all the way around..I noticed the Left front wear sensor was different than the other two (RF and RR)..The sensor mounted in the LF pad hole closest to the rotor. It doesnt make sense because it is going to hit the rotor before even 50% is gone..Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
It is designed to do that. It will alert FSS that the pads are at 50%. Why is a good question -- need to get that answer from the engineers.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by trvcampbe
Hello everyone,noob here..2003 e500..I changed Brake rotors,pads and wear sensors all the way around..I noticed the Left front wear sensor was different than the other two (RF and RR)..The sensor mounted in the LF pad hole closest to the rotor. It doesnt make sense because it is going to hit the rotor before even 50% is gone..Any ideas?
It's what edwinwalke said -- it's designed to do that. Here's some more info from a MB site.

Regards,
paul
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BrakeWearSensors.pdf (103.3 KB, 1758 views)
Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by paulv
It's what edwinwalke said -- it's designed to do that. Here's some more info from a MB site.

Regards,
paul
This is good to know and makes sense. My car has just under 70K miles on it and no sensor has been tripped yet. The rear brakes ARE getting worn down much quicker than the fronts though.

Now, if you look at the picture in the PDF, it sure looks like they put the sensors on the pads backwards. The cables look like they would be hitting the rotors?

Steve
Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by SAguirre

Now, if you look at the picture in the PDF, it sure looks like they put the sensors on the pads backwards. The cables look like they would be hitting the rotors?

Steve
Hi Steve,

Haven't seen you around here for a while -- good hearing from you again!

When I did my front/rear brakes several years ago, I reused all three pad sensors but don't remember the details about the sensor position.

I was too mad because the left rear side inboard pad wore down to the rotor and scored it -- of course, that was the side that doesn't have a sensor. This only added to my hatred of floating calipers!!!

I installed Brembo OEM replacements with Porterfield R4-S pads and for the last four years, my wife has been driving the car -- a few months ago, I inspected all corners and the rotors/pads look great -- still plenty of lining on the pads and the rotors don't even have a wear lip on them!

BTW, I changed out a rear spring (right side) a couple of weeks ago -- I did enough cussing to last me the rest of the year!!

Regards,
paul...
Old 04-21-2011, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
Originally Posted by paulv
BTW, I changed out a rear spring (right side) a couple of weeks ago -- I did enough cussing to last me the rest of the year!!

Regards,
paul...
Hey, I have been posting here and there, but not too much. What spring, the suspension spring? I will have to check the inside pads here soon. My rear brakes are at about 65% worn so far.

My extended warranty is expiring in August, I took my car into the dealer and told them to do a witch hunt. All they could find is a lower ball joint that was a bit loose, a transmission sensor seal was sweating and the PCV valve housing gasket was sweating a little bit. Other than that my car has only had oil changes and other fluid changes so far.

Have a good one :-)
Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by SAguirre
Hey, I have been posting here and there, but not too much. What spring, the suspension spring? I will have to check the inside pads here soon. My rear brakes are at about 65% worn so far.

My extended warranty is expiring in August, I took my car into the dealer and told them to do a witch hunt. All they could find is a lower ball joint that was a bit loose, a transmission sensor seal was sweating and the PCV valve housing gasket was sweating a little bit. Other than that my car has only had oil changes and other fluid changes so far.

Have a good one :-)
Yes, it was the coil suspension spring, and it cracked close to the bottom. I've already changed out both front lower ball joints. Luckily, I used tools from Autozone's loan-a-tool program.

Had the same problem with the transmission seal and had it replaced when I got the ATF changed. I told my wife that her car is like my pimp -- every time I have to deal with it, I end up on my back!!!

Regards,
paul...
Old 04-27-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E350
does anyone has the sensor part number for e350 sport pkg for left and right?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by ivans
does anyone has the sensor part number for e350 sport pkg for left and right?
Without having the model year and vin it would be hard to get the correct parts. Why don't you do it yourself? Here is the link to EPC Net online that gives you access to the MB parts information -- http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/login.jsp

All you need is a credit card (there is no charge for USA) for location verification. Once you are in you can put in your VIN and search for any part and see pictures of the parts and assemblies.