E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

It it poserish or ok?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
WHen I had a Benz, actually it was my wife's daily driver....I put AMG monoblocks on it. Changed the demeanor of the car. Several people made a big deal to my wife when they saw it. Customers and clients who saw it asked if it was an AMG.
Long story short, my wife asked for AMG stickers. I told her no. Doesn't matter that it has wheels and kit or whatever. If the engine is not AMG, no badges or stickers. I told her it was being fake. We argued about it for days until she gave up.

If someone else wants to do it, I won't be negative about it....at least not in their face. But I don't think it's a cool thing to do.

Who am I kidding. I would be negative to that person in their face. I remember once I saw a guy in an S-Class with chrome spinners. I went right up to him and told him what a sacrilege it was to do such a thing. My wife had to pull me away.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by ejsheltra
That is one perspective but certainly not the only one. Another might be an admiration of the mark. Is it wrong to put AMG brakes on a non AMG car even though the AMG shows through the spokes and itself is the Brand's badge, or how about an AMG airbag in a non AMG car or an AMG interior or for that matter any AMG labeled part or AMG branded design such as the side skirts or bumpers that AMG provides. What about the replica car industry that is so robust? As you had mentioned the people that are knowledgeable about a particular brand know the difference upon close inspection. The only ones who seem perturbed are those that own the original AMG branded vehicle which is a very small segment of the MB market of which most would not think of debadging their AMG cars because the badge is all important to them based on the perceptions other people may have of them and their perceived status by associated ownership. That is the end game of Long Term Branding versus Direct Marketing. Cars like the original Cobras and Shelbys have risen dramatically in large part due to the replica and tribute car industry. It has in no way adversly affected the value of the original unless someone has purposely tried to pass off a replica as the real article in the selling market. If anything it has served to heighten the awareness of the brand and make more valuable what you perceive to gain by direct ownership. What someone chooses to put on their car regarding AMG badging should be viewed as complimentary. You know you own the real thing. Is that not enough?
1) Um, why is the fake brand name product business so robust?

2) Then why did I debadge my E63? Can you accurately answer that? Aside from within your own world view, that is. AND see my last sentence in this post......

3) This isn't about the value based on fakes (although manufacturers do spend millions to stop counterfeits.)

btw, I'm going to go around and tell everyone I'm a concours judge and that I know all the answers. I'll just assume you'd feel flattered about that.

Anyway, ironically the majority of folks here who have posted on this very thread that they feel it's inappropriate within the car world universe, DO NOT own AMGs.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:36 PM

2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
Originally Posted by 220S
1)
Anyway, ironically the majority of folks here who have posted on this very thread that they feel it's inappropriate within the car world universe, DO NOT own AMGs.
You don't have to get hit by a tractor-trailor to know it will kill if u stand in front of it.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 PM

E320 2003
Personally I don't mind but i could see why some people may think its poser (its better than putting the AMG emblem on the back and some v12 on the sides lol) but why not just get the OEM MB plates(not the generic made in taiwan ones you buy at your local mall) ? they probably cost the same....
Old 05-20-2011, 04:35 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by platinumsc
WHen I had a Benz, actually it was my wife's daily driver....I put AMG monoblocks on it. Changed the demeanor of the car. Several people made a big deal to my wife when they saw it. Customers and clients who saw it asked if it was an AMG.
Long story short, my wife asked for AMG stickers. I told her no. Doesn't matter that it has wheels and kit or whatever. If the engine is not AMG, no badges or stickers. I told her it was being fake. We argued about it for days until she gave up.
Good man.

Very classless and tasteless/tacky form to false-badge.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:31 AM

2013 E350
Wow, you guy's can't be serious.
A license plate constitutes as posing ? Really ?
I best throw away my Bruins hat, cause im not really one of the players, might make me look like a poser too.
Sad
Old 05-20-2011, 06:49 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Totally, totally, totally different story. It's about as foolish as having a BMW plate on a Benz, or a Benz plate on a Honda. It's trying to promote something to hope that people perceive the driver in a better light.

I will admit that a license plate frame isn't AS bad as badging, and an AMG badge on a non AMG car isn't exactly blasphemy, but I still think it's something that should be avoided.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:02 PM

2008 E350 2013 Tahoe 2007 Mustang GT Conv.
Whatever......
Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by K-A
Totally, totally, totally different story. It's about as foolish as having a BMW plate on a Benz, or a Benz plate on a Honda. It's trying to promote something to hope that people perceive the driver in a better light.

I will admit that a license plate frame isn't AS bad as badging, and an AMG badge on a non AMG car isn't exactly blasphemy, but I still think it's something that should be avoided.
KA, and others the argument about a AMG license plate frame just doesn't fly IMO. That is not posing, badges are. Now of course, opinions will vary on the plate frame.

MB made the descion to do "Sport" packages which have several AMG pieces, wheels, exhaust, bodykit, fogs, etc. so it is what it is regarding that area. No posing there, we all can agree on that as well.

It's quite clear that badges are posing we all agree on that, there are WAY too many threads about this topic which was summed up quite simple: No engine, no badge.

Can we end these types of threads? The topic is too repetitive...
Old 05-20-2011, 02:43 PM

2007 E550 4-Matic
This argument is a little strange to me. License plate frames imo are personal and I don't think they are reflective of the driver pretending or not pretending to be something their not. Most dealerships put a frame on the car when they deliver it. If my car had a frame that says Mercedes of Beverly Hills but I don't actually live in Beverly Hills, am I being a poser? Imo I would say no. I own a baseball cap that has the AMG logo on it but I don't own an AMG. Am I a poser? I just like the hat. Anyway to each their own. Put any license plate frame on the car you want, who cares what anyone thinks.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FT Benz
This argument is a little strange to me. License plate frames imo are personal and I don't think they are reflective of the driver pretending or not pretending to be something their not. Most dealerships put a frame on the car when they deliver it. If my car had a frame that says Mercedes of Beverly Hills but I don't actually live in Beverly Hills, am I being a poser? Imo I would say no. I own a baseball cap that has the AMG logo on it but I don't own an AMG. Am I a poser? I just like the hat. Anyway to each their own. Put any license plate frame on the car you want, who cares what anyone thinks.
LOL, about the Mercedes of BH frames. I've used MB-BH in the past and my SA there said the frames are really popular with out-of-state and out-of-town people and they get requests for them all the time. Some of those requests come from Asia and Eastern Europe, too. Apparently yes, some people do like to pretend they're associated with BH (ironically if you live here you know that BH is kinda old school, and Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, and Malibu is more the real thing.)
Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM

2007 E550 4-Matic
:-) I wonder how much it has to do with resident or association status as opposed to mocking Bravo's "Housewives of (fill in the blank)"...lol

Interesting that there is international interest though! lol
Old 05-20-2011, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FT Benz
:-) I wonder how much it has to do with resident or association status as opposed to mocking Bravo's "Housewives of (fill in the blank)"...lol

Interesting that there is international interest though! lol
fwiw, most of the old Hollywood money is in the flats in BH between Santa Monica Blvd and Sunset. Up into the hills is more newer film/TV industry money along with a lot of Persians and Saudis.

Real estate agents will list properties sometimes with "Beverly Hills Post Office" attached to the listing, to be sure to let buyers know it's actually within BH.

But on the periphery, south of Santa Monica Blvd and east to the WeHo line (West Hollywood) are a lot of larger dense apartments. They are also around Wilshire and just south of Wilshire. Those areas are mostly Russians and Eastern Europeans. They tend to be dependent on a lot of bling: gold jewelry, heavy cologne, conspicuous watches, and anything with the Mercedes 3 pointed star logo.

More established 'genuine' celebrities (i.e., not the 15 minutes of fame reality TV types) live mostly in Pacific Palisades, in west Brentwood and northwest Santa Monica, or in Malibu. They also tend to drive SUVs as their daily transport (although they often have nice cars and exotics stashed away at home and use them for weekend drives up the PCH, etc..) Younger hipster celebs will sometimes drive a Prius in public (and with their gas guzzlers hidden away at home.)
Old 05-20-2011, 07:57 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Re: the plate frames, best way to honor a design as a piece of art (ugly enough that you need a license plate with random numbers on it) is to get a plate sans any text or clutter, IMO! I do this with my cars usually, and it makes the rear look much classier and clean, honors the design more-so than some cluttered text (Dealer plates are hideous, and I don't get why people get plates that say "Mercedes", when it's cooler and more impacting to just let the Star on the trunk lid do "the talking").
Old 05-20-2011, 10:29 PM

2007 E550 4-Matic
Originally Posted by K-A
Re: the plate frames, best way to honor a design as a piece of art (ugly enough that you need a license plate with random numbers on it) is to get a plate sans any text or clutter, IMO! I do this with my cars usually, and it makes the rear look much classier and clean, honors the design more-so than some cluttered text (Dealer plates are hideous, and I don't get why people get plates that say "Mercedes", when it's cooler and more impacting to just let the Star on the trunk lid do "the talking").
Actually....truth be told....I don't have plate frames. Just the CT issued marker plate is the only thing I have screwed in place. I removed the dealer frames as soon as I got permanent plates. So, I guess I have to agree with K-A...