E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 E350 , 12 BMW 328i
my thoughts exactly, my daily driver is a 01 nissan sentra, 145000 miles, no problem, no engine shake, smooth like the day i bought it 10 years ago... could it be a gasket issue? the hissing is coming from the back of the engine, like where the MAF is located. i think the intake manifold is in two pieces, but can't seem to verify it, and or order the gasket for that?

Originally Posted by vettdvr
COMMON Intake Manifold failure! Wanna buy a bridge. The intake should not fail. If it is a composit plastic type it might crack but not corrode.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:40 AM

13 E350 , 12 BMW 328i
well, my service advisor called me as i explained the situation. i guess mercedes is aware of this. he explained that the failure is the intake manifold which is aluminum, is attatched to the block which is steel, or vice versa, can't remember, but due to electrolisis, the intake manifold starts to deteriate and tiny holes appear which allows more air into the engine causing rough idle, stalling, etc... so why isn't mercedes adressing it? he says there is no known recall, and repair that would be covered if you are out of warranty, he goes on to say that this happens usually between 80,000 to 100,000 miles.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:14 PM

13 E350 , 12 BMW 328i
this part was the solution. when i start it, it dies. so i let me son start it and hold the gas pedal enough to steady the engine above 2000 rpm. i hear a very loud hissing sound coming from the back of the intake manifold on the right side, look at all the hoses, nothing. i already ordered a used manifold so i look at it to see if i can see another area or hose that i cant see from above the engine bay, i stick my hand lower on the right side..... i felt a suction, there it was.. this is a plug that came off the intake manifold.
i believe the ML's uses this same engine and here is where the brake booster vacuum hose would be attatched, because the e500's has SBC brakes, it dosn't require the hose, and is where this plug comes in. part # 003-997-02-86. what a releif.. if you look at the picture of this manifolds back side, it goes in the red plastic and locks in. i almost threw this part away, the dealer parts guy said it came from a furniture chair and not a car part, when i went in to order a spare with the part number, he remembered me and then told me ..... "oohhh this part, it's a common problem and is why we stock allot" yeah right, all in all, i was able to return the other manifold and stoked... now spark plug change..

Originally Posted by dacollector
started to look for a vacuum leak, no such luck, then as i looked under the engine bay, i see this? is it part of the car?

Last edited by dacollector; 09-03-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
same thing is happening to my Brother E500 we found this same part in the drive way and the car runs like Crap everything you stated is what is happening glad we didn't start ordering parts like crazy! no check engine, no Code from my STAR nothing just hissing from the engine bay.. I ordered the part waiting for it to come in!