E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2007 E-Class vs 2008 C-Class | Which one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
2007 E-Class vs 2008 C-Class | Which one?

MBWorld,

This is my first post on the forum after being a long time reader. Next year I am buying a Mercedes-Benz sedan. My question is that for about the same price I can get a 2007 E-Class with nice options OR I can get a 2008 C-Class (likely a C300 Sport), which one should I choose?

I am not looking for specific listings at this point but I desire a balance between class/awe-factor and sportiness. Obviously, I am not going to buy an AMG at this phase in my life but performance numbers are, in general, important to me although I am not down to the millisecond mark on that - just in general. I like the E-Class's very nice interior that is, to me, very high quality. But the C300 of a year later seems to be sportier and very very well built as well. I am a younger guy that wants a sporty sedan and also luxury not typically found in cars of men my age (women are important as I must admit). What are your personal opinions? Additionally, is the newer C-Class safer than the "previous generation" E-Class (before the major redesigns)? Miscellaneously, drilled rotors, SatNav, engine torque/HP (petrol only), safety features, performance look, sound system, and reliability are important to me as well. I would consider an AMG sport-kit as well if it did not cost me too much extra and came with the car I was buying.

Thanks to all in advance. (Thought this might be a better place to post, thanks).

~AMGAffalterbach
Old 08-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLC43 'AMG'
E
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Oh that is easy. Get an E. The interior of both cars (where you will spend most of your time) are two different worlds. I've driven a few C300s as loaner cars and I felt the interior felt cheap and plasticy. Each time I could not wait to get my car back.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 08-08-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Yeah even though the E-Class is heavier and one year older it is the same as or even better in 0-100 KM/H times than the C300 in most cases. I see a lot of Mercedes in my area, also Audi and BMW, but the E-Class seems a lot more unique than the C300 which every other Merc owner seems to have. I will have to drive both to see what I like most but I am fairly certain it is the E from the experiences I have had in past model years...

What about maintenance? How much more expensive is it on the E-Class than on the average family sedan, meaning will it break my bank or is it fairly reliable if I maintain it well?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E400 4Matic
E.......I've owned both and I love the E so much better than the C.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I have one of each now. The answer depends, as usual, as to what you are seeking. The C is more fun to drive, nimble, sporty (some of this may be due to the manual trans and upgraded antisway bars I installed...stock chassis automatic loaners lose part of those qualities), but the interior is less luxurious and spacious. The E is more luxurious, smoother, feels its extra weight (for better or worse), more room for people/cargo. If I am driving alone or with just one other, it's always the C for the entertainment value to me, a third person automatically puts us in the E. I feel about 10 years older when I drive the E, which isn't my personal goal as I already have my AARP card!

P.S. Both cars have been great quality, with only the most minimal of repairs in 2.5 years. However, maintenance on both of them is clearly more costly than for average vehicles, unless you are a DIY guy. I consider it an investment in my quality of life, enjoyment, and safety.

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-08-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Leave it to MBWorld to find an awesome guy like Sportstick with both hahaha =)

And yes I am expecting that maintenance will be a little more expensive than the average vehicle but as long as it isn't ridiculous and frustrating I am fine, which I know it is not. Honestly this point I am considering the E-Class more than anything. More unique in this area I guess, but I do love the new C-Class' look. At my age looking older is actually what I need right now lol, so I am going back and forth but have had the E-Class in mind for quite a while. Both wonderful petrol engines, both amazing in any respect.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 08-08-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Leave it to MBWorld to find an awesome guy like Sportstick with both hahaha =)

And yes I am expecting that maintenance will be a little more expensive than the average vehicle but as long as it isn't ridiculous and frustrating I am fine, which I know it is not. Honestly this point I am considering the E-Class more than anything. More unique in this area I guess, but I do love the new C-Class' look. At my age looking older is actually what I need right now lol, so I am going back and forth but have had the E-Class in mind for quite a while. Both wonderful petrol engines, both amazing in any respect.
Spend an hour driving each car and then decide Both great cars. Some people would envy your "problem!"
Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Hahaha yeah it is true =) but that is a good idea and I will be sure to post some pictures when I choose one and pick it up in a few months.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 08-08-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 PM

Mine: 2008 E350 4Matic --- His: 2014 E 550 4Matic
Test drive both - no brainer E-class. We drove both in 2008 and the C300 just did not cut it for us.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 PM

Magnum SRT8 + Magnum R/T
E for sure
Old 08-11-2011, 08:37 AM

2007 MB E350 4Matic
I had a choice to buy either of the ones you mentioned a couple months ago. The choice was between a e350 and a c300. After setting in and driving both, the decision was easy - I bought the e350. Lots more room and just more like a Mercedes. The E350 is just classier.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:01 PM

2007 E350 w P2
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Oh that is easy. Get an E. The interior of both cars (where you will spend most of your time) are two different worlds. I've driven a few C300s as loaner cars and I felt the interior felt cheap and plasticy. Each time I could not wait to get my car back.
x2
Old 08-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 S550 4matic

this. On the new C Class MB was trying way too hard to compete with what BMW does in their 3 series "sport" model cars: construct an interior that looks as though it belongs on a playground somewhere.

The E, whether it be a 350 or 500 (or even 550) will have plenty of sport factor, more room, and look less like a well-off teenage daughter is the owner/operator. Plus, it'll run circles around that C300 all day long. I personally embarrassed a 6cyl challenger driver last night in my boat of an e500 4matic. Though the look on his face was priceless.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by jcat
this. On the new C Class MB was trying way too hard to compete with what BMW does in their 3 series "sport" model cars: construct an interior that looks as though it belongs on a playground somewhere.

The E, whether it be a 350 or 500 (or even 550) will have plenty of sport factor, more room, and look less like a well-off teenage daughter is the owner/operator. Plus, it'll run circles around that C300 all day long. I personally embarrassed a 6cyl challenger driver last night in my boat of an e500 4matic. Though the look on his face was priceless.
The V8 W211s make for nice sleeper cars. They've been around long enough that they blend in well but very few cars on the road can get anywhere close if you decide to push it. Most "sport car" drivers don't realize how much power the W211s have. They probably think their sport exhaust gives them an extra 100 HP

Also 4Matic gives you much better launch control from a stop... None of the loud wheel spin BS that just wastes power and rubber but 4Matic helps you put more power on the road right away for quick acceleration from a stop. I hope 4Matic moves up to the AMG line one day... at least as an option.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 S550 4matic
The V8 W211s make for nice sleeper cars. They've been around long enough that they blend in well but very few cars on the road can get anywhere close if you decide to push it. Most "sport car" drivers don't realize how much power the W211s have. They probably think their sport exhaust gives them an extra 100 HP

Also 4Matic gives you much better launch control from a stop... None of the loud wheel spin BS that just wastes power and rubber but 4Matic helps you put more power on the road right away for quick acceleration from a stop. I hope 4Matic moves up to the AMG line one day... at least as an option.

The only, and I mean THE ONLY, way that AMG would adapt 4matic, is if Audi started actually producing quality vehicles, particularly their s-lines. Or if maybe BMW made an AWD M car

Ok, sorry, I'm done being foolish.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by jcat
The only, and I mean THE ONLY, way that AMG would adapt 4matic, is if Audi started actually producing quality vehicles, particularly their s-lines. Or if maybe BMW made an AWD M car

Ok, sorry, I'm done being foolish.
Could still happen... both Porsche and Ferrari have high performance AWD cars so I don;t see why MB can't do it. I think it might be more a matter of the AWD system being able to handle that much power...

Once I've gotten used to the surefootedness of 4MATIC, I can't go back
Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 986 Likes on 722 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
You really have to drive them both and decide. This is a case were size matters. The E is a nicer, bigger quieter, more luxurious boat. The C is not as pretty inside or out and is noiser but is a significantly more responsive handler. I had a E350 4matic. My sister has a C300 4matic. I drove here C home one night and loved it. It felt a lot more solid than my E. If I was to choose again I would pick the C, mainly because I prefer the compact dimensions of it, it's solidity better mirrors it's ancestory and it is a very nice car in its own right. The best answer will be the 2012 C's because they will be nicer on the inside and out than the current one.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 08-11-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Could still happen... both Porsche and Ferrari have high performance AWD cars so I don;t see why MB can't do it. I think it might be more a matter of the AWD system being able to handle that much power...

Once I've gotten used to the surefootedness of 4MATIC, I can't go back

I think this is due to the power it can handle as was stated. It is measured in torque rating, and depending on the torque curve since these engines can get very torquey and powerful they wouldn't be able to efficiently adapt this for AWD at a low cost for AMG. This is why their lower torque engines have a 7-G Tronic transmission and their more powerful have a 5-G Tronic, due to torque ratings. While I am sure they can produce it and do it better than Audi and the Bavarians combined, it would probably be too costly. It is also how it handles I am sure with RWD being preferred for the "driver's car" with its weight displacement and oversteer allowance.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Yeah I think the E-Class is what I am going to go for when, although I still need to test drive a C. I get what you mean MBNUT1 but the E-Class (especially 2007 redesign) with its pointed front and massive grill just screams MERCEDES to me, and is a more masculine and classy vehicle IMHO. Not that there is anything wrong with the C but the E-Class has more of a wow factor to it.

Also I am considering dumping some money into a turbocharger for the E (probably a V6 is what I am looking at)... is it worth the HP gain and what is a good manufacturer? I don't want a C-Class Kompressor or to pay for a V12 Bi-Turbo (I want to keep petrol, no BlueTec), so is this a good idea to give it the extra pickup. Supercharger possibly (though the ones I have seen aren't too good, I know the differences)? I like to keep my cars stock if needed but this seems worth it to me. Ideas?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:57 PM

2003 E320
E!!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E320 CDI Bluetec
Get Serious

Hey AMG Affenbacher ...... stay calm and cool ...think this one thru.... I just went thru this, although I went even further off the deep end. Three weeks ago, with purchase of my first MB.

What do U want? Do U want a car that has dignity, showmanship, the sense of MB ( with it's 100 year + history and modern design) along with the sense that U finally made it, or,

Do U want to drive MB's interpretation of a Nissan >> ie Datsun , with the movie Transformers like cobbeled updashboard and interior? MB was highly criticized fo rthe W210, ( E320 from 1996 to 2001? ) that had cheesy looking dash, and cut corner features all thru the car. This same thing happened with the C Class in 08...., El Cheapo look. AND NO 3 POINTED STAR ON THE HOOD TO REMIND U THIS IS A MERCEDES. I had Hondas when I was 25 yrs old, now I want what looks like quality and has that WOW factor with lighter colored walnut wood with black interior >> not that ugly dark stained maple crap on some MB E Classers.

The E Class (2007 - 2009 ) has an organic look of nature with nice rounded front end, and smooth transitions. C Class looks like a freak .... so does the 2010 - 2011 E350, with same Transformers look ( inside and out ). This is why the new 2012 C Class is coming out .... at $38K - $50K. Buy a 2007 - 2008 E Class ( when 2012 models come out ) for 50% of the new cost ( maybe less ... spend the time to look ).

In the end, I went totally iconic, and bought a 2007 E320 Bluetec diesel. Hah...beat that. Smoked my neighbors 3 yr old Lexus E350 (3.5 liter auto ), in 1/2 mile drag race on Interstate at 2 AM, and and beat him past the 133 mph mark too when the limiter kicked in . Does 37.2 mpg at constant 65 mph too.

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPEND A FLIPPING FORTUNE ON MAINT, AND REPAIRS, forget the turbo and all that. U'll have enough thrills doing the #2 thru # whatever services.

If you want to be an under 30 like rocker, do the C Class. If U want to feel like U bought a Mercedes, do the E Class.....Stay AWAY from the E500 or E550, with all the options ( like air ride ) that cost a fortune later on. The 4 matic will cost U more.

GO TO THIS MBWorld site, the W-211 forum, and read the thread called "How many Miles on W211". It is on the first page ... like 10 - 15th item down the list. It has 11 pages, 250 some enties and tracks from JUNE 2009 to today ( I have the last input ). U can read all the extra costs folks have had with E500 with it's special features, and 4 matic versions of E320, 350 and 500 -550. The pre 2007 E Class had many problems, in some cars. The 2007 refreshed E's had many improvements, and are much more reliable ( so far ).

Good Luck To You
Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Had a couple W204 loaners and I was not impressed by anymeans. The interior I felt was way too cheap even for a C Class it just feels awful. Fun to drive but I dont know if its just me but it felt ill-proportioned. Lots of creeks and squeeks reminded me of our current C230K(Her DD) and my old C280 Sport(My old DD now replaced by a C240). The 211 is hands down has more luxury and a much better ride. At the end of the day you need to face if you want luxury or sporty feel. How much time will you be spending in this car? If you are justing using it as a A-B car and dont really care much then get a C300. Chances are its cheaper to buy and upkeep. Turbo charging a E350? Not going to happen. Its not a Honda where you can slap in a turbo. One thing about Mercedes and other higher end cars is that mods are not always easy to find and when you do find them from a quality company such as Kleeman or Brabus you will pay for horsepower and torque. All part of the game. The stock E350 has enough pick up. 0-60 in the 6 range.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:00 AM

E500 4MATIC Wagon
As an 05' E500 owner, I've had many opportunities to drive the C300 dealer loaners over the last six years and have seen huge improvements in the C class. That said, I wouldn't trade my E class for one...even the 2011 C300 still doesn't compare in interior quality, materials grade, and sense of solidity. (Though they have become quite enjoyable to drive with each iteration.)

Overall, the cost of ownership is higher than the general sedan...but if you find a good independent mechanic and maximize the knowledge and advice available on the forum, you will continually surprise yourself at how manageable ownership costs can be. An 07' E350 -without 4matic and the airmatic suspensions found in the V8 sedans - should be a very pleasant long term car to own and enjoy for years to come.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
As a follow-up to my earlier post, reading both this and the W204 forum are fascinating exercises in realizing how an inanimate object can be so differently viewed though our personal filters. Naturally, those here drawn to the W211 appreciate the size, plushness, luxury, and classic design of their vehicles, as does my wife for ours. But, the view of the 204 is so interesting for its scope. There are kids on the coasts who have taken the 204 into their culture with all sorts of extreme modifications. In our relatively and admittedly well-to-do suburb, no one is "rocking" a "sick" C Class, and we don't see teens in these cars that often. The car is appreciated for its more nimble size, performance, modernity, exterior design, refinement, safety, and, yes, relative fuel economy. The interior is clearly distinct from the plushness of the E Class and done in the more Teutonic sporty/spartan genre, which some admire and some revile. (I am actually becoming less enthralled with newer MB interiors as they attempt to become "luxurious" and wind up, to my eye, seeming gaudy and garish....too much wood and too many chrome bezel surrounds starting to crop up.) However, some of the revulsion in posts above is clearly over the top and unwarranted to simply point out the differences of two distinct cars from two distinct segments.

As I showed in the photo in my first post, we have both. By choice, I took the C because of my enjoyment of a more active driving experience, including the only MB sedan available with a manual trans. (Circumstance had me in the C versus the BMW I almost bought.) It's a delightful car in many ways, with some shortcomings for my preferences mostly versus the 3 series' capabilities. It is not meant to be a small E. However, just because this segment is targeted for different preferences does not render the C as offensive as some above would have you think. If plush cruising is your desire, by all means, find a E Class...it is merely different. "Better" depends only on what one happens to enjoy.

My wife feels more pampered in her E, and when the occasion calls for it, so do I. But, every day, I just feel a lot more enthusiastic and have more fun with this:

P.S. The C300 Luxury model does have a stand-up three pointed star hood ornament. I prefer the less ornate Sport version, and actually have a hand tooled flat badge from DFWDude. Take the critiques on this thread with a large grain of salt.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 E-Class vs 2008 C-Class | Which one?-dsc00030.jpg  

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-04-2011 at 01:48 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 E-Class vs 2008 C-Class | Which one?