E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Problems w/ SDARS (Sirius)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 P1 Sport Pkg, 1993 BMW 325is, 2000 Tacoma PreRunner V6, 2008 Porsche Cayman S
I just spoke to Sirius tech support and he said that they are aware about the MB-Sirius problem and still working on it.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM

2008 E350
Just wanted to add to the report, our 08 E350 has the same issue since 8/31. We had this trouble a few months back and the dealer replaced the receiver and antenna at that time. Now the station is just stuck on Lithium....guess it could be worse. Dealer visit scheduled for tomorrow, what a PITA!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by ~Jeff~
Just wanted to add to the report, our 08 E350 has the same issue since 8/31. We had this trouble a few months back and the dealer replaced the receiver and antenna at that time. Now the station is just stuck on Lithium....guess it could be worse. Dealer visit scheduled for tomorrow, what a PITA!
When you go, bear in mind the true nature of why you are having this problem, and why the receiver is "locked up". The software people at Sirius are working on this problem at which time MB will probably have to reflash our SDARS receivers.

Otherwise, the only cure is to replace the SDARS unit with the latest generation receiver.

8/31 is when Sirius initiated the "open door free sample" programming to the Receivers.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM

2008 E350
Thanks Barry! I have printed out the response you were given and mentioned that to my dealer. I would have thought that the receiver that was just installed would have been the latest version, but I suspect it isn't.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by Joshelley
I called Sirius back after 2 hours as they suggested and still was unable to reactivate. They still had no explanation for the issue. I then called MBUSA as Barry recommended and they gave me the same explanation about the 140 vs 160 channels on older radios. At least they had an explanation!!! Thank you Barry. MBUSA said I should call back in a week if I haven't heard from someone sooner. The Sirius 160 channel promotion lasts until September 12. When it ends will everything work as it should?...
Correct once the promotion ends, SDAR will function normally again. Parts replacement will not resolve the issue.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:54 AM

10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
When you go, bear in mind the true nature of why you are having this problem, and why the receiver is "locked up". The software people at Sirius are working on this problem at which time MB will probably have to reflash our SDARS receivers.

Otherwise, the only cure is to replace the SDARS unit with the latest generation receiver.

8/31 is when Sirius initiated the "open door free sample" programming to the Receivers.
The problem is not with the SDAR receiver, the head unit (specifically NTG's 2.0 and earlier)is not capable of displaying over 140 channels.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by MBtech1098
The problem is not with the SDAR receiver, the head unit (specifically NTG's 2.0 and earlier)is not capable of displaying over 140 channels.
Any insight as to why some units in the same model year (08 for example) have had no problems at all (my experience), while others here lost service? Once Sirius finds a solution for those now experiencing issues, any thoughts as to whether it will create new issues for those of us who have had none to this point?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:13 PM

10 speed bicycle
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Any insight as to why some units in the same model year (08 for example) have had no problems at all (my experience), while others here lost service? Once Sirius finds a solution for those now experiencing issues, any thoughts as to whether it will create new issues for those of us who have had none to this point?
Your vehicle is equipped with NTG 2.5, and will not be affected as it is capable of the additional channels. All I have seen is NTG 2.0 and earlier affected by this. Also as previously stated, once the promotion is gone everything will function as normal.

There are fixes in the works to prevent this from happening again.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:37 PM

2007 E350 P1 Sport Pkg, 1993 BMW 325is, 2000 Tacoma PreRunner V6, 2008 Porsche Cayman S
I am very interested of how your dealer is going to handle this issue. MB of Escondido replaced my Sirius receiver on Sept 1st. (A 211 870 67 90). Sure, it was working fine but picking up the promo offer. After I asked Sirius to transfer the new ESN to my account (family friendly lifetime plan), I am back to where my original problem with my old receiver.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:01 PM

Mercedes Benz 2005 E500 (W211)
Same problem

I have exactly the same problem about the same date. Stuck on same station, not subscribed, call 888-???-siri
Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 AM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by m103-w124
I am very interested of how your dealer is going to handle this issue. MB of Escondido replaced my Sirius receiver on Sept 1st. (A 211 870 67 90). Sure, it was working fine but picking up the promo offer. After I asked Sirius to transfer the new ESN to my account (family friendly lifetime plan), I am back to where my original problem with my old receiver.
I will update this when I hear back from my dealer, not sure what they have in mind to fix the problem?
Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM

E350
Another with same problem

I thought that I was alone. I got stuck at the same time and was told that the hurricane knocked out some repeaters in the NJ area. I went through the same hoops. The tech had me reset my command center through the soft keys, but the system would not reset. I even later disconnected my battery to see if I could do a hard reset. No luck. I then tried to reset my clock in the command center, but could only reset the minutes by a +/- 30 minute increment. Anybody having that problem?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by JohnC60
I thought that I was alone. I got stuck at the same time and was told that the hurricane knocked out some repeaters in the NJ area. I went through the same hoops. The tech had me reset my command center through the soft keys, but the system would not reset. I even later disconnected my battery to see if I could do a hard reset. No luck. I then tried to reset my clock in the command center, but could only reset the minutes by a +/- 30 minute increment. Anybody having that problem?
Welcome to the club...now Sirius is blaming Irene. I had a conversation with the customer care an hour ago and I have the same run around, again. They said that MB dealer might have replaced my receiver unit with a defective one! I will wait until this free promo is over (Sept 12) and see what happens.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:57 AM

2008 E350
Wasn't able to get the car to the dealer today, and their pick up service/loaner is unavailable until next Tuesday.....which happens to be 9/12. Maybe I will just wait and see if it clears up after the promo.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 AM

CLS63 AMG
Long time lurker. Have been meaning to register for awhile now. Figured this is probably the best time to do so.

My radio being stuck on "Not Subscribed" coincided with a credit card change and me not updating that change on my account. Resulting in an .87 balance from the internet package I added. So I was sure that Sirius somehow screwed up my account.

I contacted them on 3 separate occasions and talked to tech support. The conversation always ended with me waiting for a signal that I knew wasn't going to make a difference.

Tonight before I stumbled upon this thread I had my last conversation with Sirius. I asked to cancel (mind you I had yet to find this thread). I was literally ready to give up the SAT button forever. Sirius offered me free service until December 1st in hopes that the problem would alleviate itself by then. Out of the 4 or 5 people I talked to total - not one admitted to knowing about any sort of problem with Mercedes vehicles and the COMAND system. If I had found this thread earlier I might have asked them about it. But I was clueless.

So I guess now it's just sit and wait. The couple free months of service didn't hurt.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Wasn't able to get the car to the dealer today, and their pick up service/loaner is unavailable until next Tuesday.....which happens to be 9/12. Maybe I will just wait and see if it clears up after the promo.
Save some time & effort... cancel your appointment... have your coffee at home. I am certain that the problem will resolve itself on that very next channel update immediately following the end of the free trial.

Apparently, there is no desire on anybody's part to fix the problem for this occurence other than to write a software patch for the next time Sirius runs a free trial, so that if our radios receive an update with more than 140 channels, it will only accept the 1st 139 channels and disregard the rest, so the radio will not lock up from gagging on too much info.

I will be calling Sirius to get at least a 1 Month extension of my subscription to make up for the no service period.

A little information from BOTH Sirius and Mercedes in the form of an e-Mail would have been nice, instead of the usuall barrage of useless e-Mails about new MB Car Model intros & events no one goes to, and Sirius Promo e-Mails. Both companies have customer assistance hot lines with the lights on and nobody home.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-07-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:19 PM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Save some time & effort... cancel your appointment... have your coffee at home. I am certain that the problem will resolve itself on that very next channel update immediately following the end of the free trial.

Apparently, there is no desire on anybody's part to fix the problem for this occurence other than to write a software patch for the next time Sirius runs a free trial, so that if our radios receive an update with more than 140 channels, it will only accept the 1st 139 channels and disregard the rest, so the radio will not lock up from gagging on too much info.

I will be calling Sirius to get at least a 1 Month extension of my subscription to make up for the no service period.

A little information from BOTH Sirius and Mercedes in the form of an e-Mail would have been nice, instead of the usuall barrage of useless e-Mails about new MB Car Model intros & events no one goes to, and Sirius Promo e-Mails. Both companies have customer assistance hot lines with the lights on and nobody home.
Sounds like a plan to me
Old 09-07-2011, 05:46 PM

E63 AMG, SVT Lightning, Ducati 996S, KTM 625 SMC
I've had the same problem since 8/31 and after 4 th attempt at calling, they fixed it for the length of exactly one song. Then the NOT SUBSRCIBED msg came back while playing the last tuned station. At least I like this one better then Chill. Anyway, the people out in India say should be working by the time I get out of work tonight... Not likely. They said they would prorate my 8 days of no service. Pfffff
Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
WOOOOHOOO!!!! my sirius was fixed today took a 5 min drive and seems to be working right now. everyone call sirius and complain!!!! get transfered to poduct support dept. speak to Rick. He fixed mine in 30 sec.

good luck
Old 09-08-2011, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 E550 4Matic
How did he manage to fix the problem?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by C24owner
How did he manage to fix the problem?

not sure. I told him i know several mercedes owners with the problem and he put me on hold like every other time and when he came back on line the radio worked. I asked him how did he get it working but he really did not answer. I took his name Rick and i was about to get direct line and lost the call. i drove the car and everything worked.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:05 PM

E350
Dropped Sirius

I just called for the fifth time. The last call ended with them "escalating" my problem. On this fifth call I found out that "escalation" means that some one will get to the problem within the next...get this...30 days! I had to ask them to repeat it. I am fed up with their service and decided to cancel my subscription. The person tried to entice me to stay on with a half off offer, but that ended up being 1/2 off the price of a first radio, which is about $15 - $20 less than what I currently pay for the subscription on the radio. I have decided to drop another radio (my portable one that I hardly use). Good luck to the rest of you. I may come back in the future, but will use my iPod for now. What pathetic technical support!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:58 PM

2008 E350 Sport
Sirius Radio Problem

Great News, it's fixed. After calling MB Customer Support, I got another call from Sirius support staff. It took about 5 minutes and the problem was solved. The problem was caused when Sirius broadcast 160 channels for its sales promotion. The receiver installed in pre-July 2008 production E class Mercedes can only process 146 channels. The fix was to design a control into the Sirius system to limit the number of channels that any specific receiver can handle, I supposed based upon the ESN assigned to a receiver. Thus, my Sirius account now includes only the maximum number of channels my receiver can handle. Sirius staff said that future sales promotions should not cause this problem to reappear. I hope they are right!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 AM

08 W211 Sport
Sigh

Well, my '08 W211 is at the dealer where they ordered an "updated" unit and replaced it under warranty (whew!). Should get the car back today. I'll post results when I get the car back.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 E550 4Matic
Mine is back up. Sort of. I spoke with 3 different techs and none of them did anything useful. I got fed up and spoke with a supervisor and told him to change my subscription to one with fewer channels, and it works. Once the problem is resolved, I will have to call them to update my service to accept all the channels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problems w/ SDARS (Sirius)