E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Stupid Keyless Go Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550
Stupid Keyless Go Question

Out here in the midwest some of us don't lock our doors and leave our keys in our cars. My question is, will it hurt anything if I leave my keyless go key in the car all the time? I'm wondering if it is always using electrical power when it is within 3 feet of the car so that leaving it in the car would run down the battery.
Old 06-05-2003, 05:05 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E 500 - Full option
At least you cannot leave it in the trunck: it will reopen immedialtely. I experienced it by mistake...

To let the key in the car may trigger a message on the dask display. Anyhow, I suspect that it will be impossible to lock the car. As regards, the power consumption, I do not see any problems. The E 500 being equiped with a gigantic 100 Amps/h battery.

In France, were I am leaving to let the key in the car is the very last thing to do: it allows the insurance to not reimburse you because of negligence.

On top of that: to start an E500 without keys is quasi impossible because the key inibates all the car electronic by a code.
My MB dealer told me that to reprogram a new key can take nearly a day of computer work...
Old 06-05-2003, 03:18 PM

demo benz
what a good question.no one was willing to give me definite answer. the top tech is 99% sure it will have no adverse effect.the concern was does it let the car go into sleep mode? so let me ask you, after a night of sitting in the garage with the keyless go in the car,does the car make that compresor noise, kinda sounds like a raspberry?
Old 06-05-2003, 04:56 PM

2010 E550
I have not tried it yet but will to test it out and let you know. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
Why would you leave your key in the car. Of course I know it's parked at home in the garage. But common sense, any idiot wouldn't do that. It's your car, so your neglience
Old 01-09-2005, 07:53 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
I would personally err on the side of safety.....I would not leave the key in the car, even if it is in the garage, you never know who may come along, could even be a neighbors kid. Plus insurance may be a problem if something happened to the car.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
you cannot leave the key in the car and lock from outside. As a safety measure, the car will not lock.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by BenzVince
Why would you leave your key in the car. Of course I know it's parked at home in the garage. But common sense, any idiot wouldn't do that. It's your car, so your neglience
Personally I think it is more idiotic to respond to a post from over a year and a half ago with absolutely nothing useful to add, than to leave your keys in your car parked at your house. But what would I know, I don't have the wisdom of most Maxima owners.

-s-
Old 01-10-2005, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500, 1998 Ferrari Spider
I will give you the technical answer: Disconnect your postive battery cable. Attach a digital ammeter in line between your positive battery post and your positive battery cable. With everything off, , read the meter. Next put the key in the car, and check the reading again . The difference , if there is any is the actual draw caused by leaving the key in your car.

Cheers
Old 01-10-2005, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by MB SF
I will give you the technical answer: Disconnect your postive battery cable. Attach a digital ammeter in line between your positive battery post and your positive battery cable. With everything off, , read the meter. Next put the key in the car, and check the reading again . The difference , if there is any is the actual draw caused by leaving the key in your car.

Cheers
Hopefully this is a joke, because

1) you shouldn't disconnect the positive first without disconnecting the negative; that's just basic basic basic car knowledge. You can perform the same test on the negative terminal anyhow

2) you shouldn't disconnect the battery on a W211 anyhow. That's why in most technical bulletins, Mercedes includes this warning: "WARNING Do not disconnect the negative battery cable. Extensive reprogramming requirements will otherwise be necessary."

3) even after you do disconnect it, take your readings, and spend a long time reprogramming your car with the Star Diagnosis and still not have it right (try doing some of those engine adaptations sometime), you won't even have the correct answer because there are TWO batteries in the car

And again, I think after a year and a half, the person who was originally concerned about all this, is WAY OVER IT now.

-s-
Old 01-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FJPM
At least you cannot leave it in the trunck: it will reopen immedialtely. I experienced it by mistake...

To let the key in the car may trigger a message on the dask display. Anyhow, I suspect that it will be impossible to lock the car. As regards, the power consumption, I do not see any problems. The E 500 being equiped with a gigantic 100 Amps/h battery.

In France, were I am leaving to let the key in the car is the very last thing to do: it allows the insurance to not reimburse you because of negligence.

On top of that: to start an E500 without keys is quasi impossible because the key inibates all the car electronic by a code.
My MB dealer told me that to reprogram a new key can take nearly a day of computer work...
A day of computer work ? Most keys arrive with the same code as the car - if so requested. Blank keys take minutes to program.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
2) you shouldn't disconnect the battery on a W211 anyhow. That's why in most technical bulletins, Mercedes includes this warning: "WARNING Do not disconnect the negative battery cable. Extensive reprogramming requirements will otherwise be necessary."

Does this mean that if/when the battery goes dead, all of this programming will be necessary?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:28 PM

none
I would be VERY suprised if Mercedes did not use Flash Ram/Rom to back up the cars programming.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:37 PM

11 W212 E350 Sport, sold 06 W211 E350
Originally Posted by scorchie
Personally I think it is more idiotic to respond to a post from over a year and a half ago with absolutely nothing useful to add, than to leave your keys in your car parked at your house. But what would I know, I don't have the wisdom of most Maxima owners.

-s-
OoPs, thanks for pointing out the date of the original thread post... June 2003........nothing like timely responses, very valuable to him!!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally Posted by BenzVince
Scorchie has got it right. Calling a guy an idiot from a June 2003 thread is calling a kettle black. If the idiot fits...wear it.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:26 AM

2010 E550
I'm Over IT

You are right. I am over it. I don't leave the key in the car. If I knew that it would not harm anything I still would. Keyless go is for convenience, right? So, why not make it as convenient as possible? And no, if your car gets stolen your insurance still pays. That much I do know about the law. All I do is Insurance Coverage.