E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

AIRMATIC ISSUES!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Originally Posted by earz04
Not really impressed with this arnott and not making a rear shock! Does anyone know of a after market rear shock for this car? Or in this case..two?
Did you speak to Arnott recently? I talked to them about a year ago, when I had to replace one front and one rear, and they said that they were working on the rear and should have some in stock soon. That was so long ago that I assumed that they would be available by now.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:15 PM

2007 E 550 4Matic
I recently purchased an 07 E 550 4Matic with 68k on it and I take my car to a local Independent Mercedes-Benz only Mechanic shop which is much cheaper than going to the local dealership. I asked them about this Airmatic system and when or how often the shocks needed replaced. The mechanic said it wasn't a common problem that they have seen but they had seen it on earlier 03 and 04 models and it was around a $6,000 or $7,000 repair job. I hope I don't have to experience this LOL. Eventually I will I guess, i'm no mechanic by any means so im assuming that eventually these will go bad and need replaced. I think the airmatic system is an awesome feature on these cars but when it comes to repairing them and the costs I almost feel like it's not worth it. Any advice or has anyone gone through this before?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,620 Likes on 1,189 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Yes, lots have gone through airmatic replacements. Just search "airmatic". You need a new Indy shop if they charge $6,000 to $7,000 for airmatic work.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by KEY08
Yes, lots have gone through airmatic replacements. Just search "airmatic". You need a new Indy shop if they charge $6,000 to $7,000 for airmatic work.
Rear shocks in box about $900

Front rebuild struts about $900

Air spring on rear $4000 installed

Airpump about $700

So perhaps there is an indy shop that can do it cheaper depending on what fails.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:44 AM

2004 E320 Wagon
Is this normal?

Found your story - here's mine...2004 E320 wagon with 73,000 miles on it. Sitting low on right rear corner after it's parked awhile, lifts after car is running for a minute. Dealership gave me a quote yesterday of $1,370. to replace air suspension bag because it is leaking. They didn't have the part in stock so I had to leave without the repair, (dealership is 250 miles away!) This morning right front is low. So now it looks like I need 2 of these, could I assume all 4 need replacing? A $5,480 repair to a low mileage, one owner premium vehicle, supposedly worth only about $10,000.? Also, in response to my complaint about running rough at idle, I was quoted $832. to replace worn engine and transmission mounts! They said the idle is fine, but sometimes the steering wheel vibrates big time at red lights. I had the CP sensor replaced locally when the car left me stranded in an intersection about a week ago. Further, their inspection report says I need to replace both lower ball joints "(Found both lower ball joints to be worn / loose) $410. Replace both Thrust arms (found both thrust arm ball joint worn/ boot torn) $794." WTF???!!! I had planned to own this car forever, it just doesn't seem like these kind of things should be failing at only 73,0000 miles.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Yeah, it happens. The suspension parts and mounts may indeed need to be replaced and your car will thank you for it as these make a big difference in how it handles and performs. These replacements will probably outlast your use of the car.

Sounds like you have an issue with the rear bag and it may be affecting other components of the Airmatic system. It is too bad they couldn't replace that for you at the time you were in and if it were me I would Only replace the leaking shock.

Find a good independant shop to do all of this work and you will save a lot of money and it will still be done right. I lost my left rear air strut at 77,000, so it does happen. Don't be convinced by anyone to replace more than is necessary. These things all fail at different times.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:32 AM

2004 E320 Wagon
So, first replace the first leaking rear strut and see if that clears the whole problem, front and rear? Does this part need to come from Mercedes? I appreciate the calming tone of your response. My blood pressure has been spiked over this issue, I am still thinking of trading out of it, it just doesn't feel right. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550 Sports
Not totally related to story. Recently I was told by two indy shops that my right rear shock was leaking oil on my 2007 e550, and I rebutt that we have airmatic shocks why would it leak oil and they said I have both traditional shock and airmatic shocks? Is this what Vettdvr said "Rear shocks in box about $900"? or I need to get the airmatic shock replaced? Man this car is getting very expensive..
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by CShores
Found your story - here's mine...2004 E320 wagon with 73,000 miles on it. Sitting low on right rear corner after it's parked awhile, lifts after car is running for a minute. Dealership gave me a quote yesterday of $1,370. to replace air suspension bag because it is leaking. They didn't have the part in stock so I had to leave without the repair, (dealership is 250 miles away!) This morning right front is low. So now it looks like I need 2 of these, could I assume all 4 need replacing? A $5,480 repair to a low mileage, one owner premium vehicle, supposedly worth only about $10,000.? Also, in response to my complaint about running rough at idle, I was quoted $832. to replace worn engine and transmission mounts! They said the idle is fine, but sometimes the steering wheel vibrates big time at red lights. I had the CP sensor replaced locally when the car left me stranded in an intersection about a week ago. Further, their inspection report says I need to replace both lower ball joints "(Found both lower ball joints to be worn / loose) $410. Replace both Thrust arms (found both thrust arm ball joint worn/ boot torn) $794." WTF???!!! I had planned to own this car forever, it just doesn't seem like these kind of things should be failing at only 73,0000 miles.
Every item you listed has happened to my E500 at about the same mileage. Only difference is I had about 4 months between each failure. What you are experiencing is what "I" would call normal and the reason I won't buy another with this same equipment.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by Pekkle
Not totally related to story. Recently I was told by two indy shops that my right rear shock was leaking oil on my 2007 e550, and I rebutt that we have airmatic shocks why would it leak oil and they said I have both traditional shock and airmatic shocks? Is this what Vettdvr said "Rear shocks in box about $900"? or I need to get the airmatic shock replaced? Man this car is getting very expensive..
Yes, you have the Air Spring and the Shock in the back. And yes, the shocks leak when they fail. The fronts are all one unit.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 PM

2007 E550 Sports
Originally Posted by KEY08
Yes, you have the Air Spring and the Shock in the back. And yes, the shocks leak when they fail. The fronts are all one unit.
Thanks KEY08, knock on the wood that I only need to replace the shock, not the airmatic ones.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
I only replaced my rear shock when it failed. Not cheap, but you must do it or risk burning out the air pump as it will continue to try and raise the car.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM

E500 4MATIC Wagon
My $.02 -

Find a good independent mechanic. The removal and install of both front and rear is fairly straightforward. With the exception of a special tool required for the rear removal - there is some side trim in the rear you need to remove to expose the top nut...which is unique - but it looks like an inexpensive tool to source. I had a front shock fail at 72K, and just had one rear shock fail at 97K on my 05' E500 Wagon. Front shocks were sourced from Arnottindustries.com - at $399/shock. The rears are MB only, but my local mechanic passed on his wholesale price of $480. You may find better online? As has been mentioned the rear set-up uses a separate shock and air spring design. And you don't have to change right and left simultaneously - only the failed shock. A couple hours of labor plus parts should cover shock repair expenses with a good independent. I have yet to have a rear air spring fail (knock on wood).
Old 09-29-2011, 01:19 AM

2007 E550 Sports
Originally Posted by mwiadro
My $.02 -

Find a good independent mechanic. The removal and install of both front and rear is fairly straightforward. With the exception of a special tool required for the rear removal - there is some side trim in the rear you need to remove to expose the top nut...which is unique - but it looks like an inexpensive tool to source. I had a front shock fail at 72K, and just had one rear shock fail at 97K on my 05' E500 Wagon. Front shocks were sourced from Arnottindustries.com - at $399/shock. The rears are MB only, but my local mechanic passed on his wholesale price of $480. You may find better online? As has been mentioned the rear set-up uses a separate shock and air spring design. And you don't have to change right and left simultaneously - only the failed shock. A couple hours of labor plus parts should cover shock repair expenses with a good independent. I have yet to have a rear air spring fail (knock on wood).
The indy shop told me it's just leaking oil, so it's ok to drive for a while. Would you replace it? How would I know I really need to replace it? Since it's not the airshock would it go very low that you can notice? or the computer will simply tell you that you shock has failed?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 AM

E500 4MATIC Wagon
How bad is the leak? Does the shock have any rebound control? When my rear went, i found a huge puddle of oil directly underneath and the shock lost its rebound ability immediately. If the leak is substantial and the handling characteristics have changed, better safe than sorry...especially to avoid damage to the air spring, etc.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 PM

E55AMG
Hi guys, I am owner of an E55AMG'05. My car has an airmatic problem. The diagnosis gives these fault codes (5132-left side airmatic sensor/5142-right side airmatic sensor/5152-rear airmatic sensor)
Airmatic kompressor works fine up and down.
The problem is that car's left side is 12mm down then right side or opposite! (right side is 12mm upper then left side)
While we connect the car to diagnosis,we made felt and right at same balance but whenever disconnect from diagnosis and try to up or down the airmatic, the problem occurs again.
I think a wire contact to chasis,also deaits of the fault code says the same.
If somebody had the same problem,then help me where to start?
Thanks. I am sorry about my english,hope you understand well.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:19 PM

03 E500
Airmatic Workshop Error

I had same error on my car. I plugged in my scanner and it ended up being the a9/1y1 module (airmatic compressor). The wires were damaged. So i repaired with a splice kit and it fixed my problem. Make sure you still have power to the cable with a multimeter. Should be 12V. If not check fuse & airmatic relay. My compressor was starting to sound like crap so replaced it as well. Reset codes with scanner and used rise/lower button in car to re-air up and lower car back to normal ride height. All is good. If your issue persists check large rubber hose or air lines connecting to rear struts. Having a scanner def helped me in my instance. Hope my experience may help someone else. Thanks!