Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
broken motor mount E500 >

broken motor mount E500

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

broken motor mount E500

 
Old 09-17-2011, 07:01 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
broken motor mount E500

Somehow i managed to break my motor mount i didnt know what it was for a while but i found it out now. where is the mount locaded at im guessing under the motor because i dont see any mounts on the sides? also if i took it in to a shop how much do they ushally charge to swtich it out?
chrisdagge is offline  
Old 09-17-2011, 07:24 PM
  #2  
Member
 
E500 AMG Sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 146
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not that you broke it, they are liquid filled and they leak (fail) over time and then you experience the vibrations and the associated awful noises.

Any mechanic can knock out both in an hour, it's not hard. Now all you got to do is find an "honest" wrench turner who won't tell you otherwise!!!!!
E500 AMG Sport is offline  
Old 09-17-2011, 07:32 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
ok so i didnt do to bad i bought it 2 days ago with 53000 miles loaded for 14800, im 17 and i have hopeing it wasent going to be another 2k to fix. but i can watch the whole motor move about 2-3 inches when its in gear if i hold the break and hit the gas alittle. ive rebuilt a few small motors and serviced a few trucks. on a level of 1 to 10 how hard is this job
chrisdagge is offline  
Old 09-18-2011, 12:04 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 221
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211
PLEASE find your shift key
irondad is offline  
Old 09-18-2011, 12:40 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Is that how you answer QUESTIONS?
i thought this was a MB form not english class
chrisdagge is offline  
Old 09-18-2011, 01:32 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Barry45RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale Area, USA
Posts: 4,977
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by chrisdagge View Post
Is that how you answer QUESTIONS?
i thought this was a MB form not english class
forum
Barry45RPM is offline  
Old 09-18-2011, 02:52 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
JDM_SXE-10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South CA (LA, 818) & North CA (SJ, 408)
Posts: 615
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Originally Posted by chrisdagge View Post
Somehow i managed to break my motor mount i didnt know what it was for a while but i found it out now. where is the mount locaded at im guessing under the motor because i dont see any mounts on the sides? also if i took it in to a shop how much do they ushally charge to swtich it out?
I have been experiencing some vibration and took it in yesterday. The told me that it is the motor mount also and they said that they usually do it in pairs. I was told by my mechanic that parts and labor will be $400. This sounds like a reasonable price, but maybe someone can confirm this.
JDM_SXE-10 is offline  
Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 396
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E500
gonna cost me $750 to do all 3 (motor and tranny mounts). I guess inflation? :/
spinn is offline  
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: west palm beach USA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 2004 model Silver sedan
Originally Posted by chrisdagge View Post
Somehow i managed to break my motor mount i didnt know what it was for a while but i found it out now. where is the mount locaded at im guessing under the motor because i dont see any mounts on the sides? also if i took it in to a shop how much do they ushally charge to swtich it out?
I just replaced my two motor mounts last week...I got quotes for $400 labor to replace the motor mounts but i decided to take on the challenge and was successful. i had replaced my transmission mount few months ago and posted a video on the transmission mounts. that one is a piece of cake. however motor mount can take some time. its not too hard of a job if you know your tools and have someone to help. it was a little harder for me because i was doing it by my self. MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE BOTH MOTOR MOUNTS!!! Don't make the mistake of replacing one or else you will regret it...if one failed the other one is not too far behind..
you will need to remove your exhaust in order to get to the motor mounts.
you will need a good big hydraulic jack to lift your engine. all the work needs to be done from underneath the car.
on a scale of 1-10 as 10 being the hardest, i would scale it as 4.
After replacing the engine mount it made a HELL OF A DIFFERENCE in the ride. its like driving a new car off the showroom.
dewana421 is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 03:07 PM
  #10  
Super Member
 
JDM_SXE-10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South CA (LA, 818) & North CA (SJ, 408)
Posts: 615
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
gonna cost me $750 to do all 3 (motor and tranny mounts). I guess inflation? :/
I have been going to my independent mechanic for years so he has always taken care of me. I just moved to Northern Cali so I will miss him because now I need to find someone just as good and honest.
JDM_SXE-10 is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
MercFiveHundred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 390
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Originally Posted by dewana421 View Post
I just replaced my two motor mounts last week...I got quotes for $400 labor to replace the motor mounts but i decided to take on the challenge and was successful. i had replaced my transmission mount few months ago and posted a video on the transmission mounts. that one is a piece of cake. however motor mount can take some time. its not too hard of a job if you know your tools and have someone to help. it was a little harder for me because i was doing it by my self. MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE BOTH MOTOR MOUNTS!!! Don't make the mistake of replacing one or else you will regret it...if one failed the other one is not too far behind..
you will need to remove your exhaust in order to get to the motor mounts.
you will need a good big hydraulic jack to lift your engine. all the work needs to be done from underneath the car.
on a scale of 1-10 as 10 being the hardest, i would scale it as 4.
After replacing the engine mount it made a HELL OF A DIFFERENCE in the ride. its like driving a new car off the showroom.
You didn't need to remove the exhaust.
MercFiveHundred is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 08:24 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: west palm beach USA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 2004 model Silver sedan
Originally Posted by MercFiveHundred View Post
You didn't need to remove the exhaust.
There is no way that you can do this job without removing the exhaust. trust me. i did the job and did lots of research before doing it and its a fact.
but mine is a 2004 E320 base and i think its differs from CDI. not too sure about E500.
dewana421 is offline  
Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by dewana421 View Post
There is no way that you can do this job without removing the exhaust. trust me. i did the job and did lots of research before doing it and its a fact.
but mine is a 2004 E320 base and i think its differs from CDI. not too sure about E500.

My E500 had to have the manifold pulled also the top bolt can't be reached with the manifold in place.
vettdvr is offline  
Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BagMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SWFL
Posts: 1,057
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
I was able to do my CDI without taking anything off. Not sure about the other cars.

I couldn't have done it without the Mercedes motor mount tool: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Engine-Motor-Mount-Wrench-Tool-16mm-and-17mm-/371015605249?hash=item566240dc01&item=371015605249&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr
BagMan is offline  
Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
MercFiveHundred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 390
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Originally Posted by dewana421 View Post
There is no way that you can do this job without removing the exhaust. trust me. i did the job and did lots of research before doing it and its a fact.
but mine is a 2004 E320 base and i think its differs from CDI. not too sure about E500.
Not extensive enough. I researched too and found it can be removed via dropping the power steering rack plate mount. Just because you didn't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.
MercFiveHundred is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 09:09 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Ever wonder why so many Mercedes motor/transmission mounts fail when other brands dont' fail at such a high rate.? In 50 yrs of driving I only replaced mounts in 2 cars. One was a race car the other the Mercedes.
vettdvr is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 04:26 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: west palm beach USA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 2004 model Silver sedan
Originally Posted by MercFiveHundred View Post
Not extensive enough. I researched too and found it can be removed via dropping the power steering rack plate mount. Just because you didn't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.
lol so you are removing one thing or the other..samething... My point is there is no way you can do it without removing something out of the way. On CDI I heard it is possible but not on others.
dewana421 is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 08:31 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
MercFiveHundred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 390
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Originally Posted by dewana421 View Post
lol so you are removing one thing or the other..samething... My point is there is no way you can do it without removing something out of the way. On CDI I heard it is possible but not on others.
No, your point was you had to remove the exhaust. Nice try.
MercFiveHundred is offline  
Old 09-07-2014, 10:11 AM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: west palm beach USA
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 2004 model Silver sedan
Originally Posted by MercFiveHundred View Post
No, your point was you had to remove the exhaust. Nice try.
lol really ? How old are you
dewana421 is offline  
Old 09-07-2014, 10:47 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North Carolina, US
Posts: 486
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
You do not have to remove the exhaust. You only need to disconnect the exhaust from the manifold so you can move the exhaust up. That will allow you to pull the old mount backwards out and get the new one in.

As for the top bolt, you can reach that with a wrench. No need to remove the steering rack or the exhaust manifold. Use the KISS principle here....makes life much easier.
sgaar is offline  
Old 09-07-2014, 11:07 AM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by sgaar View Post
You do not have to remove the exhaust. You only need to disconnect the exhaust from the manifold so you can move the exhaust up. That will allow you to pull the old mount backwards out and get the new one in.

As for the top bolt, you can reach that with a wrench. No need to remove the steering rack or the exhaust manifold. Use the KISS principle here....makes life much easier.

Thanks I didn't realize the V8 had that much room up front.
vettdvr is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: broken motor mount E500


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: