E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

retrofitting curve illuminating foglights

Old 11-14-2011, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none :(
retrofitting curve illuminating foglights

Hello all,

I am considering getting a 2004 W211 as my first car. Looking at the option sheets of most of the cars for sale out there corner illumination does not come up.

I had a chance to see it in action on Passat B6 and it is defiantly something I want for winter months. Outside of city centre where there are no street lights at least on Passat they worked wonders.

So my question is what would be involved in retrofitting them?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:39 AM

Anybody?

Got as far as to find out it is option 619, but it became available only from 2005 onwards or something around that time.

So can this function be programmed in older w211 models?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Yeah it can be....I have a set for sale if you want.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
You said foglights but I think you mean headlights. And yes, the man above has some.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:47 AM

I am pretty sure it is foglights that switch on.
I am talking about when you drive at slow speeds, and turn the stearing wheel or you enable turn signal it illuminates the side of the road you are turning to.

I am in Europe, so I will probabbly look somewhere around home to get them, I just wanted to know can it be done and the ballpark cost of such venture. Surely there is something more involved then just changing out the lights.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by HyBry
I am pretty sure it is foglights that switch on.
I am talking about when you drive at slow speeds, and turn the stearing wheel or you enable turn signal it illuminates the side of the road you are turning to.

I am in Europe, so I will probabbly look somewhere around home to get them, I just wanted to know can it be done and the ballpark cost of such venture. Surely there is something more involved then just changing out the lights.
I know about this feature but as far as I'm concerned all you need to do is activate it in STAR. Nothing else needs to be done since all it does is turn the fog light "on" on one side when you turn the steering wheel to that side.

Curve Illumination in the headlights however is a different story since the headlights themselves turn with the steering wheel. This requires the purchase of the correct headlights.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
My Data Card indicates I have this:
615 BI−XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT RIGHT−DRIVE

does that mean I have the curve light when I turn? i never noticed it.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by GT-ER
I know about this feature but as far as I'm concerned all you need to do is activate it in STAR. Nothing else needs to be done since all it does is turn the fog light "on" on one side when you turn the steering wheel to that side.

Curve Illumination in the headlights however is a different story since the headlights themselves turn with the steering wheel. This requires the purchase of the correct headlights.
Thanks. Found a thread somewhere (did not save the link ) where someone states that depending of year of manufacture either 0, 1, or 5 of something (do not recall what exactly) has to be replaced and from there on it as you say just a software tweak

Originally Posted by AzCamel
My Data Card indicates I have this:
615 BI−XENON HEADLICHT W.ACTVIE CURVELIGHT RIGHT−DRIVE

does that mean I have the curve light when I turn? i never noticed it.
Looks like I messed up the title. Should have read corner illuminating not curve.

615 as mentioned by GT-ER above is a feature where the actual headlights turn slightly (up to 15? degrees i think). Supposed to be good for twisty roads. I have never seen them in action.

I want the option 619, which is a different thing. Slow speeds and illumination of the side of the road. BTW is there active/passive mode for this?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
Good enough for me, I got curve lights
Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by HyBry
Thanks. Found a thread somewhere (did not save the link ) where someone states that depending of year of manufacture either 0, 1, or 5 of something (do not recall what exactly) has to be replaced and from there on it as you say just a software tweak
It's probably the module ( a SAM but I don't know which ) that has to be replaced.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 PM

03 Eclass, 03 BMW 06 Porsche Cayman S, 03 Harley Davidson "bored & stroked"
Thats an old american car feature (we're talking 70's) called cornering lights. they turn on when ever you activate your turn signal and turn off once the signal cancels. Never thought much of those and they are pretty much phased out of all american cars....