E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Fuel injection cleaner, Yes / NO ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Carrera4
Has anyone used SeaFoam? I use it once in a while on my carbureted bike, does wonders. Don't know if good to use in a FI engine.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
https://mbworld.org/forums/3488628-post11.html

Apparently it's fine on all engines. If it's not on the MB-approved list though, I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure if it's worth it or if it is approved but I doubt it would do any damage.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
NOT AT ALL

Originally Posted by Dexion
Shell gas stations also use the same additives as Chevron Techron.

That being said I used a bottle of the stuff and did notice the engine was quieter after and might have squeezed out 1 more mpg or so
NO! NO! NO!

Techron is not in Shell Gas unless you've added it or there is some marketing program I am not aware of... and I'm quite sure there is not.
Tech(From Texaco) Ron (From Chevron) and a few other double meanings in there too...

IN THE MID 90'S I became good friends with H. Wong. He was at USF getting his doctorate in Chemical Engineering. I still remember all the lead up to his Amaco interview in Naperville. He got the job and was ecstatic. THE REASON HE WANTED TO WORK FOR AMACO was because of Techron.

A LITTLE GAS BIZ HISTORY: In the 80's Amoco was ubiquitous. They purchased AMOCO/ Chevron (owner of Texaco) who also created Techron. Techron was, at the time, the only additive to have been proven to have beneficial results. After the merge it was in all Amoco Gas (It was already in Chevron/Texaco gas).

HERE COME THE BRITS: BP bought Amoco for the exact same reasons. Then they got rid of the "Amoco" brand, limited their use of Techron in their gas to their premium brand to get people to buy it and we ended up with 3 providers of the additive- BP (limited) Chevron and Texaco (again in all their gas).
The additive is actually less expensive in the fuel than to buy it at a retailer. Still, it can be purchased at anywhere to include costco.

Last edited by unavita; 10-28-2016 at 07:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
burgca (10-29-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Seafoam is like 90+ % kerosene.
Pretty expensive one.
FIY I never add any fuel enhancements , nor cleaners to our vehicles.
The only time I tried diesel purge on W123 and it did make difference in smog, but could not tell much in performance.
Still have can of Seafoam I bought like 10 years ago on the shelf.
I am buying the cheapest fuel I can find. Sure gasoline comes mostly from Costco, what is consider Top Tier and lately sell diesel as well.
But when traveling I fill up diesel cars at truck stops. Sometimes have to carry funnel as not all truck stops have pump with small nozzle.
Last time I had fuel problem was over 20 years ago, when I open the plate on the tank (VW Scirocco at the time) and found couple of cups of rusty water on the bottom.
Bare in mind that fuel are improving over the years.
California had mandated dual walls tanks at gas stations like 15 years ago and to my knowledge all states followed in last years.
Than alcohol and biodiesels addition to fuels in last years do have cleaning characteristics.
Meaning if I did not have fuel problems 20 years ago, why should I worry now?
Anybody wants to buy well-aged can of Seafoam?
Old 10-28-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Seafoam is like 90+ % kerosene.
Pretty expensive one.
FIY I never add any fuel enhancements , nor cleaners to our vehicles.
The only time I tried diesel purge on W123 and it did make difference in smog, but could not tell much in performance.
Still have can of Seafoam I bought like 10 years ago on the shelf.
I am buying the cheapest fuel I can find. Sure gasoline comes mostly from Costco, what is consider Top Tier and lately sell diesel as well.
But when traveling I fill up diesel cars at truck stops. Sometimes have to carry funnel as not all truck stops have pump with small nozzle.
Last time I had fuel problem was over 20 years ago, when I open the plate on the tank (VW Scirocco at the time) and found couple of cups of rusty water on the bottom.
Bare in mind that fuel are improving over the years.
California had mandated dual walls tanks at gas stations like 15 years ago and to my knowledge all states followed in last years.
Than alcohol and biodiesels addition to fuels in last years do have cleaning characteristics.
Meaning if I did not have fuel problems 20 years ago, why should I worry now?
Anybody wants to buy well-aged can of Seafoam?

Huh? I'm thinking that your use of "like" isn't to mean exactly 90% and something "like" Kerosene? Kerosene is derived by refining gas. What's in Seafoam is denatured alcohol, something that has been used in cars for a long time. It can lead to premature where of gaskets and seals.
Xylol/ Xlene is known to boost octane. Useless in street cars. But that alone does not "clean" fuel injectors. Little does beside manual labor. Yeah sure, many claim to but the problem is in that "1" tank of cheap gas you used or in letting the fuel get down to a quarter tank or less. We're dealing with things that deteriorate in their natural state folks. It's unavoidable.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
E240 -2003 E55 AMG -2005
Never used them, waste of $$$$
Old 05-14-2022, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz cls 63 amg and a 2017 Mercedes-Benz E300 four matic
👍 Video I learned something new