E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New Guy Intro

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CLS550, 2013 GLK350 4-Matic
New Guy Intro

I want to introduce myself to the MB community. I bought a CPO 2008 E550 last month and so far I love it. Like apparently many of you, I came to Mercedes from BMW. Most recently I owned a 2001 540i with some mild Dinan upgrades. Owning that car was like being in a bad marriage, I loved the car for the excitement of driving it, but it required constant attention. I spent lots of money on it, and when it was good, it was very good. Always lots of drama and, but overall, too many disappointments due to reliabilty.
While the E39 felt like the fastest car I ever owned, the 550 is the fastest car I’ve ever owned. No drama, just goes scary fast … faster than my ’69 Dodge Charger 440 (no longer own it, it fell apart one day on a trip to Yosemite) , and it just feels extremely competent . I can’t imagine what an E63 must feel like, but I will find out.
I do like to mod my cars and have made several cosmetic changes already. Question for the board, is there an aftermarket tuning company (ideally US based) that has a relationship with Mercedes similar to the Dinan/BMW relationship? Most of my Dinan mods were put on at the BMW dealer and covered by a joint Dinan/BMW warrantee. I’d like to upgrade the exhaust system as a start, but don’t want to mess up the CPO warrantee. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks, Mike
Attached Thumbnails New Guy Intro-car-1.jpg   New Guy Intro-car-2.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 10:00 PM

2016 E400, 2015 GLK 350
Welcome. I'm just starting year 2 with a 2007 E550. Purchased with 29k miles, now at 49k. I've done rear brakes and a thrust arm (warranty). I'm very happy with the car so far. Sorry I can't answer your question, though.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Brabus

Robaustin,
Thanks for the welcome. Sounds like your experience has been pretty positive. I hope mine goes as well. So far so good.

(Based on your screen name, I'm guessing you're in Texas. Lets hope Bernie takes his $25M + and signs off on the F1 race.)

I have heard elsewhere that Brabus is the way to go. Anyone have experience with Brabus and a CPO warrantee?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W211 E63
Congrats on ur car mike. White with black pano looks so nice on our cars. I gave up looking for that combo, couldn't find an amg pack at all. Looks like all the owners are content with their cars so no reason to sell.

As far as tuning, there are tuning companies like brabus, or rentech, carlsonn ect. But I personally don't think the cost is justified per tuning output, the BMW side would prob offer cost per performance output. If i were to tune, it would be light. I would get maybe just cosmetic and sound tunes, (ie amg mufflers) these cars are quick as is. Mercedes already engineered these cars to their potential, there is very little left to upgrade. But if ur willing to spend some $$ in chips go for it I would however tune the crap out of a e55 tho if i had the chance.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Welcome and congratulations! The car looks great, and those wheels are very familiar. We had the same ones on our 08 E350 4MATIC Sport...and on the roads here in the midwest (which are likely worse than anything you will see), all four were dented. Our local indy MB/BMW shop pointed to others piled up in the back, also dented, of the identical style, and remarked that that design wheel seemed "softer" and suffered denting more often than any other wheel he had seen. So, even though SoCal roads are much better than in Michigan, you might want to have in the back of your mind your new set of wheels because the OE wheels are not worth replacing with the same.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by fila0220
As far as tuning, there are tuning companies like brabus, or rentech, carlsonn ect. But I personally don't think the cost is justified per tuning output, the BMW side would prob offer cost per performance output.
Fila0220 – Thanks for the welcome. As I do research, I see some of these prices are scary ($1K + for 20 hp delta). It seems like MB didn't leave too much power untapped and getting the last bits is tricky (and expensive). The more I think about it, I really am looking to enhance that V-8 sound. I’ll look into the AMG mufflers as you suggest.
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Welcome and congratulations! The car looks great, and those wheels are very familiar. We had the same ones on our 08 E350 4MATIC Sport...and on the roads here in the midwest (which are likely worse than anything you will see), all four were dented. Our local indy MB/BMW shop pointed to others piled up in the back, also dented, of the identical style, and remarked that that design wheel seemed "softer" and suffered denting more often than any other wheel he had seen. So, even though SoCal roads are much better than in Michigan, you might want to have in the back of your mind your new set of wheels because the OE wheels are not worth replacing with the same.
Sportstick – Thanks for your kind welcome. The wheels on your car look great. So Cal roads aren’t what they used to be – what with the State’s current financial issues. I have bent a wheel or two. I’ll keep your advice in mind as the mod list grows.

Mike
Old 12-03-2011, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 W212 | 2016 W205
I too had an E39, loved the car but had to constantly spend huge amounts of dollars on her to keep her running. Still my E270 drives fantastically well

See you on the forums!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:54 AM
SPONSOR

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mike_W
I want to introduce myself to the MB community. I bought a CPO 2008 E550 last month and so far I love it. Like apparently many of you, I came to Mercedes from BMW. Most recently I owned a 2001 540i with some mild Dinan upgrades. Owning that car was like being in a bad marriage, I loved the car for the excitement of driving it, but it required constant attention. I spent lots of money on it, and when it was good, it was very good. Always lots of drama and, but overall, too many disappointments due to reliabilty.
While the E39 felt like the fastest car I ever owned, the 550 is the fastest car I’ve ever owned. No drama, just goes scary fast … faster than my ’69 Dodge Charger 440 (no longer own it, it fell apart one day on a trip to Yosemite) , and it just feels extremely competent . I can’t imagine what an E63 must feel like, but I will find out.
I do like to mod my cars and have made several cosmetic changes already. Question for the board, is there an aftermarket tuning company (ideally US based) that has a relationship with Mercedes similar to the Dinan/BMW relationship? Most of my Dinan mods were put on at the BMW dealer and covered by a joint Dinan/BMW warrantee. I’d like to upgrade the exhaust system as a start, but don’t want to mess up the CPO warrantee. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks, Mike
Hi Mike,
Welcome to MBworld.
OE Tuning has ECU tunes to suit your vehicle. We typically see +20hp gained to the wheels throughout the powerband as seen from dyno testing.
Here are some member reviews for 550 tuning:
https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...xperience.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...-saturday.html
Blog dyno results:
http://oetuning.com/blog/?p=288
http://oetuning.com/blog/?p=314
We are currently offering a 20% OFF holiday special during December. Tune price for all 550s is $476. We are located in Van Nuys and can tune your vehicle while you wait.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by SALES@OETUNING
Hi Mike,
Welcome to MBworld. ...
We are currently offering a 20% OFF holiday special during December. Tune price for all 550s is $476.
Thanks for the welcome and the info. You may have helped the wife with her Christmas shopping.
Mike