E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

what can be done to avoid bending wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
what can be done to avoid bending wheels?

besides avoiding pot holes & rough roads..
Old 12-22-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 235 hp 420 ft tq
Other than making sure that the tyer pressure right or a little higher nothing.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:56 AM

00 W210 E430 Sport, 04 W211 E500 4matic Sport
Absolutely nothing, unfortunately. I had oem E55 wheels that got completely demolished. Tons of cracks and bends, and you really should only fix them a couple of times so to ensure safety. The majority of my front suspension was replaced, yes it was expensive, thankfully about a third of the cost was covered under my extended warranty (right before it expired) and the rest by my insurance company. Gotta love NYC potholes! Anyway, I put new wheels on, AMG E/CL63 reps, and they were fine for almost 6 months (looked amazing). I'm not sure if it has anything with the temperature dropping, but all of a sudden the cracks and bends are happening almost as bad as with the oem wheels. After reading about the w212's having the same problems, I'm done! Taking a break from MB for while, getting rid of the car tomorrow, I can't go through another winter of getting stuck everywhere...especially the highway. I love my car, but I need something dependable, probably going to do a short term lease for now. Hope you have better luck!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:06 AM

00 W210 E430 Sport, 04 W211 E500 4matic Sport
Btw, keep an eye out, I will be listing some of the accessories I took off the car in the next week or so. Roof spoiler, oem three piece trunk spoiler, oem Bluetooth puck, oem flat hood badge, clear marker lights, black grille (have 2, one I never even opened the box), Oem stainless and rubber pedal set (like the E55).
Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Stay away from the low profile tires unless you live in an area with impeccably maintained roads. I had three tire failures with low profile tires until I ditched those pieces of garbage for normal tires and *knock on wood* no tire issues since. After wasting all that time and money on tire failures I'll never accept delivery of a car with low profile tires.

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 12-24-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:08 AM

W211
I will be looking for some 16"s
Old 12-24-2011, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by dsm2925
I will be looking for some 16"s
You'll probably do just fine with regular 17 inch tires. I think look great and most importantly they are more durable.

Fragile low profile tires must be an invention of the auto industry to sell more wheels for all the wheels that get damaged
Old 12-25-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
2011 E350, 1998 ML320
seems to be an east coast issue, I think the idea that temperature is a factor has some merit.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by bernard farquar
seems to be an east coast issue, I think the idea that temperature is a factor has some merit.
NE States roads are subject to water seepage, freezing and heaving. The repair to the roadway never exceeds a truck being dispatched with a load of "Cold Patch" Blacktop patch. It is poured in the hole after closing 2 lanes of a 3 lane major artery during rush hour, and then tamped down with the flat side of a cement rake. The passing cars further tamp it down leaving a depression which collects water, which seeps into the hole and freezes. The left over gravel surrounding the patch gets kicked up into windshields and hoods.

Its a steady income for the Dept of Highway crews and wheel and tire manufacturers. They're currently working on a better solution to the problem which would benefit suspension parts manufacturers also.

People in the NE are used to being mistreated, so they roll with the punches. My Long island NY salesman on my '04 was adamant about staying away from 18 inch low profile tires. Since my '07 was going to live in FL anyway, I went for them.

I think MBUSA should let people ordering a car specify 18s or 17s as well as staggered set up or square, no matter what packages are on the car.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 12-25-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:51 PM

Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
I Respectfully Disagree

Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
You'll probably do just fine with regular 17 inch tires.
I think look great and most importantly they are more durable.

Fragile low profile tires must be an invention of the auto industry to sell more wheels for all the wheels that get damaged

Stock 16 inch wheels such as mine will not only last longer than most 17s, but the tires
have more sidewall area to take the pounding from deep potholes better.

I'm speaking of 225/55-16s, and wondering if some nearly new 215/65-16s might be even better?
Gear it up just a little and raise the wheel from the ground even more.

Anyone know if a 27 inch combination will clear everything okay?

Is there any way to correct the speedometer/odometer like VW provides?

So many questions I know.

Merry Christmas.

D
Old 12-26-2011, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
NE States roads are subject to water seepage, freezing and heaving. The repair to the roadway never exceeds a truck being dispatched with a load of "Cold Patch" Blacktop patch. It is poured in the hole after closing 2 lanes of a 3 lane major artery during rush hour, and then tamped down with the flat side of a cement rake. The passing cars further tamp it down leaving a depression which collects water, which seeps into the hole and freezes. The left over gravel surrounding the patch gets kicked up into windshields and hoods.

Its a steady income for the Dept of Highway crews and wheel and tire manufacturers. They're currently working on a better solution to the problem which would benefit suspension parts manufacturers also.

People in the NE are used to being mistreated, so they roll with the punches. My Long island NY salesman on my '04 was adamant about staying away from 18 inch low profile tires. Since my '07 was going to live in FL anyway, I went for them.

I think MBUSA should let people ordering a car specify 18s or 17s as well as staggered set up or square, no matter what packages are on the car.
+1

Actually I think even with the "free sport package" you can specify on your order that you want regular profile 17" tires.

Why do you think lately they've been offering "free" sport packages to everyone? It's probably because they can expect to sell extra wheels at an exorbitant price to replace the ones that get damaged. If you live on the East Coat, never accept a car with low profile tires if you don't enjoy the time, hassle, and expense of replacing your wheels. I think if more "average" MB customers knew what is in store for them, they'd never accept the "free upgrade" to low profile tires.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:58 AM

Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Thumbs up Agreed

A well thought and understandable post. To the point!

Everyone seems to be leaning towards wider, larger and taller wheels with lower profile tires which
don't give as good and comfortable a ride, wear out sooner and cost much more to replace.
And of course, with our bad roads, it is somewhat easier to bend and/or ruin an expensive wheel.

No sir, the 16s are on mine to stay.
They give me a better ride, cost much less when it comes time to replace the tires,
and as far as handling is concerned, they provide all of that I can stand.
After all, I grew up driving a '37 Plymouth that had 600-16s with tubes and a straight front axle!
So what I'm driving now is really light-years away from those days.

Now I read where the new diesels have 17s and a 'free' I guess Sports Pkg with 18s.
And run flats also. No spare. I guess my old diesel will just have to keep on trucking.

D
Old 12-26-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
You know you are getting screwed when Mercedes offers you something for "free"
Old 12-26-2011, 03:41 PM

W211
And it's December ... Roads will only get worse!! Salt, plows and freezing weather