E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Would you be willing to buy the new Audi A6?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
If anyone owns anyone, it's mercedes owning chrysler
Old 06-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by gbahri
Old 06-22-2003, 08:18 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E500
I agree

Originally posted by noblert10
I second that...

and if you grab an average person and ask them if they could have either a Audi or a Mercedes Benz which one do you think they would have? ... and if you say Audi you have to be the dumbest person in the world.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:04 AM

2003 E320
I owned an Audi from 1979 to 1985, when I bought my first Mercedes. I had tons of electrical problems with the Audi that stranded me places, plus the car rusted in 6 years.

I have driven a Mercedes ever since. I don't think there's any comparison between Audi and Mercedes. The answer is "no," I wouldn't consider an Audi again. I LOVE my Mercedes!!!!
Old 07-08-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 VW W8 Variant, 02 CLK320 Cabrio, 02 Acura MDX
Originally posted by gbahri
Yeah, but who gets the better deal from that union? Chrysler has been raiding Mercedes' parts bin for the Crossfire, the Pacifica, and other upcoming brands, and climbing up the reliability scale, while Mercedes has been dropping on the JD Power Satisfaction Index like a stone. Sad but true...look at initial reviews of the revised S-Class and C-Class when they were both done a few years back..."cheap interiors", "not up to Mercedes standards", etc.

With the Volkswagen group, who gets the benefits from the union of VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini? So far, VW has benefitted by having the nicest interiors in their price range, since they are simply stealing parts from Audi. Audi is pilfering new ideas from the research into Bugatti and Bentley luxury. Bentley, Bugatti, and Lamborghini get to keep their top-shelf design and appearance, while adding never-before-experienced reliability and build quality, and Skoda and Seat get brought out of the stone age and updated to basic VW underpinnings. So far, all makes have benefitted from the corporate ownership!

Daimler Chrysler has a long way to go before they can tighten up all model lines. Thank God the E-Class redesign avoided the C and S-class criticisms; they seriously upgraded the interior material quality, fit and finish, feel, and design in the newer model, and even managed to sharpen the exterior design while retaining the classic silouhette and highlights from the previous generation. I had a 1996 E320...wonderful car and almost trouble free except the thrice-broken cupholder (could be because I was opening it all the time to show people how cool it looked when it came out, even though it wasn't really that functional) and the center console lid (the smaller inside latch always jammed, so I often couldn't get to the phone!).

I have been very satisfied with the 01 CLK320 Cabrio...it still has the previous-gen C-class interior, which doesn't bother me as I was disappointed with the feel of the new C-interior when it debuted that year. I have also been very satisfied with my VW W8 Variant, my second VW in a row, both of which have been 100% problem free and wonderful to own and drive.

I was not as much a fan of the new A4 design...I prefer Audi's previous model. The A6 could be tempting if the design is right...the interiors are very nice and bautifully finished. The A8 is gorgeous, and very comfortable inside...much moreso to my rear-end than the S-class. So I'd always put Audi on my shopping list.

The new E-class is, IMO, the best of the luxury midsizers right now. But the A6 redesign could be competition if Audi gets it right.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:14 PM
CRB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Kain
Do you people even know that Audi, Bentley, and Bugatti are from the same family?
Don't forget Lamborghini. I think the Murcialago is just a rebadged A6.