E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Transmission Neutral after kick-down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 e240
hello, sorry to bring this up again after a long time...

had this happen to me 3 times today!!! once while i was on a ramp going up!!!!!! luckily no one was behind me and i was able to safely back up to level ground but this is really disappointing!!!!

i just had transmission fluid flushed and changed to performance oil (redline)... would this have caused the transmission problem....

aside from that, ive had several experiences wherein the transmission just wont shift up after going through an incline... for instance, after i climb an incline and reach level ground.... the transmission just seems to be stuck in first gear without shifting...

my solution would be to shut off the engine and start it back up again...

benz and its computers..... i would expect for the premium that you paid for it.... they would at least give you a decent transmission!!!!!

anyways, enough of the whining... was just wondering if you guys have found a permanent solution to this yet?

thank you
Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 PM

Iridium Silver E350
I had the same problem exactly as described but in a Chrysler 300C - which I believe used the same transmission as the E-class (built during the Mercedes - Chrysler partnership).

The car operated fine but when I gave it gas and kicked down, the car would respond as usual, but return to neutral once the passing phase was over - didn’t do it all the time, but often enough for me to notice and take it in.

The transmission had a leaky seal around some electronic component, whether just low fluid or low fluid plus interference with the electronics I can’t say, but that was the issue. The leak was so slight that there were no obvious signs of an issue, and without a transmission dip-stick, no way to check the fluid level either. Going into neutral was a safety feature, and also triggered the check engine light but did not produce a code. The light would go off by itself after three starts or so.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:19 AM

2003 e240
thank you for your reply imoth,

i will show this to my mechanic, and see how we can deal with this problem.

this message also showed in my screen this morning right after i had the transmission problem.

i also took a video of the problems i've encountered with this cars transmission so that i could show it to the mechanic... hope they could solve the problem as it really is becoming quite a pain in the rear...
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Neutral after kick-down-img_0037.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 05:45 AM

2003 e240
heres a link of the video's took for my mb tranny problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGeFcCRDSOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScaWR_elKE
Old 06-04-2014, 06:24 AM

03 e55 amg w211
03' e55 amg

Everytime I drive normal speeds it's fine...as soon as I get on the throttle it won't get any power...second gear will hold the whole time up to 7k rpm...checked accelerator on pedal, cleared exhaust out completely cause cats were clogged up and it's still doing the same thing...any suggestions
Codes come up that say misfires...
Old 06-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,022 Likes on 950 Posts
1999 E300TD
I have no idea how long you have run the car up to 7k in second, however one of these times you are going to need a tow truck and a new transmission.

Of course you have read your manual and you know your transmission is adaptive to your driving habits therefore you also read that the so called "kickdown solution" ONLY function is to return the transmission to the factory shift patterns.

Your issues sounds like low fluid and or a wet control module---that means checking the fluid level, checking the electrical connection on the transmission and checking the transmission control module for fluids and what about the ground where the car is parked

You say misfires for faults---post the faults--may be time for plugs coils and wires!!
Old 06-07-2014, 12:41 PM

03 e55 amg w211
I was told to re tune my ECU and Intercooler pump...ordered from EuroCharged. We will see next week when the parts are delivered...we tried everything else so this my last resort
Old 06-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,022 Likes on 950 Posts
1999 E300TD
Here we go again, tune an non tunable intercooler pump---I can't wait for the HS response on this one!!