E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Slow ass shifts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow *** shifts

My 04/03 build E320 downshifts slow as hell!

What I mean is let's say I'm stuck at a light. After it turns green I start leaving, of course everyone is going slow. When a pocket opens up for me to pass people I normally want to go above 30 mph, but it will stay in a higher gear which limits my passing ability.

In order for me to pass I need to press the gas further, not that far, but maybe 1/4 - 1/2 down (just a guess) and then it downshifts, but it is slow as hell!

It seems to slip for a while, cause for what seems like a second or two I get no power, then boom I take off!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Slow *** shifts

Originally posted by matt5555
My 04/03 build E320 downshifts slow as hell!

What I mean is let's say I'm stuck at a light. After it turns green I start leaving, of course everyone is going slow. When a pocket opens up for me to pass people I normally want to go above 30 mph, but it will stay in a higher gear which limits my passing ability.

In order for me to pass I need to press the gas further, not that far, but maybe 1/4 - 1/2 down (just a guess) and then it downshifts, but it is slow as hell!

It seems to slip for a while, cause for what seems like a second or two I get no power, then boom I take off!
yea that happens, maybe you can check out a thread about training your accelerator, it was within the last coupl of days, if you drive more aggresive then it learn your style, and the pedal will become more responsive, and should downshift with a less amount of force
Old 06-24-2003, 08:53 PM

Re: Re: Slow *** shifts

Originally posted by bmms8
yea that happens, maybe you can check out a thread about training your accelerator, it was within the last coupl of days, if you drive more aggresive then it learn your style, and the pedal will become more responsive, and should downshift with a less amount of force
the thing is that I can't most of the time. Too many trafifc lights and stop signs in my commute. The other part of it I am on the open highway (a few times a week) where I really can't be aggressive.

When it went to downshift it almost felt as though the power oujtput died. The engine was still reving but I wasn't going anywhere any quicker.

Even my son's Nissan Pathfinder has a more responsive tranmission than this!
Old 06-24-2003, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Re: Re: Slow *** shifts

Originally posted by matt5555
the thing is that I can't most of the time. Too many trafifc lights and stop signs in my commute. The other part of it I am on the open highway (a few times a week) where I really can't be aggressive.

When it went to downshift it almost felt as though the power oujtput died. The engine was still reving but I wasn't going anywhere any quicker.

Even my son's Nissan Pathfinder has a more responsive tranmission than this!
i see, yea you are right, it isnt that responsive, try to search for this problem, i remember someone posting something about not being responsive enough, so the dealer changed something, and i guess it made it better, or just go to your dealer, and try other E's and see if there is a difference, so your dealer can check it out
Old 06-25-2003, 10:57 PM

2003 E-500
I have an E-500 so comments may not be directly applicable to the E-320. However, I "trained" my transmission to expect rapid acceleration for the first 2000 miles and it now downshifts quickly. Supposedly the "training of the transmission" takes a while. I currently have about 10,000 miles on my car.

You might also try to use the paddle shifter to downshift. That seems to be pretty fast, but I've never really felt the need to use it in typical city/freeway driving.

I do think, as several other board members have noted, that it is important to drive aggressively when car is new so that transmission will adapt to your style and downshift quickly. Other E-500 owners have complaints similar to yours.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E320
I have the same issues. That's what you get whne you buy a MERCEDES. It is not aggressive like the BMW. It has a lag to it, like the lazy american market that it serves. I still can't understand how a Top German car is so lagging in high performance????

Even the Passat and Jetta have better feeling/response. Don't get me wrong, I love my "E", but I know there is better out there.... However, asthetically speaking, the E is the prettiest car out there!
Old 06-27-2003, 09:52 PM

W211
It may be this problem:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=33313
Old 06-27-2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by MPTLPTR
It may be this problem:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=33313
My E is a April 03 build. I would /hope/ it would not be this since it was built after this fix was created, for whatever it was.