E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 E350 (PZEV) Sedan
Here's the info on my PZEV warranty repair. Car in garage right now with full tank of gas. Happy to report, no gas smell. :-)
Attached Thumbnails URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class-image.jpg  
Old 02-05-2014, 12:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004.7 C180 Kompressor, BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro LT, Mercedes S, Cesna 152.
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
I think you are correct! Ethanol, by nature, is corrosive. The 10% ethanol that most of us get in the tank actually reduces our mileage, and this fact is well documented.

Refer thread below....

Last edited by mercedes4ever; 02-05-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
I think you are correct! Ethanol, by nature, is corrosive. The 10% ethanol that most of us get in the tank actually reduces our mileage, and this fact is well documented.
Ethanol is Alcohol, you need fuel lines etc specifically designed for it.
Using ethanol blended fuel has many advantages. In spark ignition engines, ethanol can run at a much higher exhaust gas recirculation rate and with higher compression ratios.
Ethanol also has a higher octane rating than most petroleum - usually at 113 RON (Research Octane Number) - and creates very few particulates. Octane is the measure of a fuel's ability to resist "knocking" which a driver may detect as a "pinging" noise coming from the engine. Knocking is basically the burning of the fuel in the engine's combustion chamber. The higher the fuel's octane number, the better the fuel and the more resistant it will be to knocking. The engine management system in most modern cars detects and controls knock in conjunction with the fuel.
In the past, ethanol has been blamed for being corrosive. However all types of petroleum products have corrosive properties and oil companies are required to add corrosion inhibitors not only to ethanol-blended fuels but also to other petroleum products. Corrosion inhibitors are types of fuel additives that are used to inhibit or suppress the corrosive properties of fuel. In turn, this prevents the corrosion or rusting of the fuel tank as well as the other components of the fuel system.
The potential for corrosion due to the use of ethanol blended fuels has been *eradicated in Australia for some time as long as the blended is purchased from a reputable source. This is because the ethanol sold in Australia must – by law - contain a corrosion inhibitor additive to overcome previous issues of improper use of lower quality ethanol or at inappropriate blends without the corrosion inhibitor. *This may not have been addressed in the USA??? this MAY GIVE MB AN OUT IF SOME FUEL COMPANIES have not modified there fuel that contains ethanol??? MB could use this as a unknown factor when they designed the models effected???

Last edited by mercedes4ever; 02-05-2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Full moon outside.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by bADNEWZ
Day 8, still waiting. I still have no clue if they'll honor the PZEV warranty. Good thing they gave me a free 2013 C250 loaner car. However, this waiting is getting old. BMW, Infiniti & Honda are starting to look real good. Still not sure why it's taken 8 days to reach a decision on THEIR warranty.

Mercedes Benz Corporate is probably concerned about Paying this claim as a PZEV warranty, They are worried about opening the flood gates of claims and lawsuits.. If the dealer was smart they would fix this issue as a goodwill warranty and be done with it. However smart they are not.
They will not be happy till they **** Off another Customer.
Its all about Profits NOT customer Safety:

crazy:
The Dealer is unlikely to fix this as a "goodwill Warranty", when he is not receiving recompense from MB, as he would be inundated with people looking for freebies. Every business exists to make profit.

Last edited by mercedes4ever; 02-05-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GL450
Originally Posted by hutchinshouse
Here's the info on my PZEV warranty repair. Car in garage right now with full tank of gas. Happy to report, no gas smell. :-)
All they replaced was your fuel filter. Not the whole tank or sending unit. Which is where most of the fuel leaks seem to be from on these cars.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 AM

2007 E350 (PZEV) Sedan
Originally Posted by jandmtv
All they replaced was your fuel filter. Not the whole tank or sending unit. Which is where most of the fuel leaks seem to be from on these cars.
What the dealer told me and what was on the paperwork is all I know. This morning zero gas smell in my garage (with full tank).

Checkout this link: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...ding-unit.html

Checkout post #6, they had the very same work done as I did on their PZEV.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 AM

2007 E350 (PZEV) Sedan
Originally Posted by mercedes4ever
The Dealer is unlikely to fix this as a "goodwill Warranty", when he is not receiving recompense from MB, as he would be inundated with people looking for freebies. Every business exists to make profit.
Checkout my post #326. The dealer repaired my car for free. They had to honor the PZEV warranty. 125,000+ miles on my car and still under warranty for another 25,000 miles. This PZEV warranty rocks!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:16 AM

2010 GL450
That's interesting. Thanks for the link. It seems like they are replacing the entire sending unit but only report the fuel filter as the only replaced part. Mb is being very shady about this.

I'm taking my sister in laws car in this morning at 8am. I'll report what kinds of bull**** they try to feed me.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM

2007 E350 (PZEV) Sedan
That's interesting. Thanks for the link. It seems like they are replacing the entire sending unit but only report the fuel filter as the only replaced part. Mb is being very shady about this.

I'm taking my sister in laws car in this morning at 8am. I'll report what kinds of bull**** they try to feed me.
Good luck!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 AM

2010 GL450
Thanks. I got them to reprogram my out of warranty 2009 e350 mbrace system for free. Took them 6 hours to figure it out. They did it because I had the trial subscription active and did t want me to cancel the service. But the dealer wanted to charge me $160 to diagnose it initially until I made a big scene about it. Lol. At the end I paid nothing. Let's see if I can do it again. If not, I'll take it to the same place you took yours.

Oh. I'm taking it to Keyes mercedes. It's closer.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:31 PM

2010 GL450
Well the car is at Keyes Mercedes. I'll update this post as I hear any news from them. Let's see what kinds of bullshiit they are going to try and feed me.

I also called mbusa customer support to get them involved, but they said that I need to wait until the diagnosis is made and they submit it to the warranty department before they can do anything.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:32 PM

Stay away from bmw!!!!! Way too many electronic issues.
Go on there thread, "stay away from MB to many fuel problems"!!
Old 02-05-2014, 03:36 PM

2010 GL450
Lol. Fuel problems at least can be fixed by replacing physical parts. Good luck diagnosing the electric gremlins that plague BMW's. Dash on my 550i looks like a freaking Christmas tree. Been to the dealer 3 times already. Each time it comes back worse than the last.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:50 PM

2010 GL450
Dealer called back and told me that the fuel filter and seal ring are what is leaking. Same as hutchinhouse. But they said that warranty request came back 0% coverage. After calling mbusa and complaining they assigned a case manager and are investigating the claim. I was told that they have to manually call mb from the dealer to get authorization for any PZEV warranty repair. My dealer instead did it through the computer which checks for either factory or cpo warranty coverage. Hence the 0% coverage they received from mbusa.

So I told my dealer that they have to manually call in to mb warranty department for manual processing of the claim.
They are now working on it.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 PM

2007 E350 (PZEV) Sedan
Dealer called back and told me that the fuel filter and seal ring are what is leaking. Same as hutchinhouse. But they said that warranty request came back 0% coverage. After calling mbusa and complaining they assigned a case manager and are investigating the claim. I was told that they have to manually call mb from the dealer to get authorization for any PZEV warranty repair. My dealer instead did it through the computer which checks for either factory or cpo warranty coverage. Hence the 0% coverage they received from mbusa.

So I told my dealer that they have to manually call in to mb warranty department for manual processing of the claim.
They are now working on it.
Hopefully you can beat my 21 day epic marathon repair.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:13 PM

2010 GL450
Well as suspected, they are being asholes and telling me that the fuel filter should have been replaced at 60k miles. It's a normal wear and tear item so it's not covered. Filter and ring seal are $350 plus tax to replace. I told then to go ahead and replace it while I fight with mbusa to change their decision.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM

2010 GL450
Brought the car home just now and pulled the rear seat off, sure enough, they replaced the black sending unit with a white one. But the invoice they gave me states they only replaced fuel filter and ring seal,

I didn't know that fuel filters have electric wires going in and out of them. Good thing I took a picture of the sending unit before taking the car in. Here are the before and after pics.

Oh and they charged me $388 plus tax for the whole job. Im still fighting the case with mbusa.

BEFORE

URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class-eecc7753-03c4-4117-9e51-f742379e3722.jpg

AFTER

URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class-55edc9a7-55fc-481a-8cba-afa1952a0998.jpg
Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 450 gl
[QUOTE=jandmtv;5933554]Brought the car home just now and pulled the rear seat off, sure enough, they replaced the black sending unit with a white one. But the invoice they gave me states they only replaced fuel filter and ring seal,

I didn't know that fuel filters have electric wires going in and out of them. Good thing I took a picture of the sending unit before taking the car in. Here are the before and after pics.

Oh and they charged me $388 plus tax for the whole job. Im still fighting the case with mbusa. '''Goodluck'''

Be glad it was only 330. .Mine was 900 after fighting with the a$$wipes for a week.They will say anything to not release all of these failing FUEL SENSORS>...I will never buy another Mercedes.. I was waiting for the copy of the invoice showing that it was replaced under an emissions warranty to take these lying thieves to Court.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:43 PM

2010 GL450
UPDATE!!!!!

Got a call from Rash, my case manager at MBUSA telling me that my claim is going to be covered 100% under the PZEV warranty and that he already made the dealer aware and will be issuing a full refund. I contacted the dealer and they asked me to go in and get the refund anytime.

I am glad to share my vin number with anyone that wants to sue MB for not covering their case when they are clearly
covering mine and they covered hutchinshouses case also.

A big thanks to hutchinshouse for the guidance.

The flood gates are wide open gents!

Last edited by jandmtv; 02-07-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:06 PM

2007 E350 (PZEV) Sedan
UPDATE!!!!!

Got a call from Rash, my case manager at MBUSA telling me that my claim is going to be covered 100% under the PZEV warranty and that he already made the dealer aware and will be issuing a full refund. I contacted the dealer and they asked me to go in and get the refund anytime.

I am glad to share my vin number with anyone that wants to sue MB for not covering their case when they are clearly
covering mine and they covered hutchinshouses case also.

A big thanks to hutchinshouse for the guidance.

The flood gates are wide open gents!
Awesome news! Yeah, the PZEV warranty is in black and white in their own documentation, yet they still try to swindle the customer. In theory, they’re still being shady. Per PZEV, the whole tank is sealed and should not be “repaired”. A whole new tank assembly is the “correct way to repair” a PZEV fuel tank. Checkout this actual Mercedes Benz (Daimler) EPC document, even their documentation states “separate part will not be delivered, order fuel tank code 917”.
Attached Thumbnails URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class-917-epc.jpg  

Last edited by hutchinshouse; 02-07-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:51 PM

2010 GL450
Since the tank is metal and not cracked/broken or corroded, I'm ok with just the sending unit being replaced. If it were a plastic tank, different story. I would create all kinds of hell till they replaced the whole tank.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 450 gl
Since the tank is metal and not cracked/broken or corroded, I'm ok with just the sending unit being replaced. If it were a plastic tank, different story. I would create all kinds of hell till they replaced the whole tank.
I was not aware of any metal tanks in these newer models. Let me know what you find out....
Old 02-07-2014, 03:41 PM

2010 GL450
The tank on my sister in laws 2006 E350 is metal. Not plastic. Nothing to find out.

Hey badnewz. Do you want the number for my case manager at mbusa? He was very helpful at getting the warranty dept to reverse their decision and cover my claim. Maybe he can do the same for you. If so, pm me.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
PZEV key is to be prepared - present documentation (i.e.: datacard documenting 917, MY specific Service Warranty page, and VIN specific EPC parts documentation) if SA seems indecisive request Service Manager get involved if he/she refuses request MB rep covering dealership get involved (usually response is quicker than through CAC).
Old 02-07-2014, 05:39 PM

2007 E350 (PZEV) Sedan
Originally Posted by konigstiger
PZEV key is to be prepared - present documentation (i.e.: datacard documenting 917, MY specific Service Warranty page, and VIN specific EPC parts documentation) if SA seems indecisive request Service Manager get involved if he/she refuses request MB rep covering dealership get involved (usually response is quicker than through CAC).
Thanks for your help! Without you I'd be out several hundred bucks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the W211 E Class