Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Window Tinting | 2007 E550

Hello Brochachos,

I have a 2007 E550 that has the stock black paint, I believe obsidian black was the name from Mercedes, but not sure. Anyway, since it is the sport version it already has the blue "sport" tinting on all windows. Yes this is a real thing that came with the sport package according to all Mercedes-Benz brochures and the dealer. But as it is a black colored car, I want to get fairly dark tint on all windows (27% legal limit here in Colorado). Few questions to pose for everyone:

Should I get the windows tinted in your opinion?
If I do, would you do the front window or is that just pointless?
What VLT% do you think is decent for good visibility but heat reduction/swag factor if I do so?
Will this interfere with the current tint, or is that colored glass as it comes from the factory?
Anyone know of good places in the Denver/Colorado area to get this done with high quality tint and work? (IE not bubble and peel)
Also, since I am new to this whole vehicle ownership thing, what is a good ballpark for a QUALITY tint job?

Thank you all very much.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 04-04-2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: I am too cool to begin the thread just once.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Hello Brochachos,

I have a 2007 E550 that has the stock black paint, I believe obsidian black was the name from Mercedes, but not sure. Anyway, since it is the sport version it already has the blue "sport" tinting on all windows. Yes this is a real thing that came with the sport package according to all Mercedes-Benz brochures and the dealer. But as it is a black colored car, I want to get fairly dark tint on all windows (27% legal limit here in Colorado). Few questions to pose for everyone:

Should I get the windows tinted in your opinion?
If I do, would you do the front window or is that just pointless?
What VLT% do you think is decent for good visibility but heat reduction/swag factor if I do so?
Will this interfere with the current tint, or is that colored glass as it comes from the factory?
Anyone know of good places in the Denver/Colorado area to get this done with high quality tint and work? (IE not bubble and peel)
Also, since I am new to this whole vehicle ownership thing, what is a good ballpark for a QUALITY tint job?

Thank you all very much.
First, yes we know about the blue window tinting. Nothing new there

Search around the board (particularly the w211 AMG board) as many owners here have tinted their blue glass. Personally, I don't think it looks very good at all due to the change in color. I wouldn't do it personally. I'd also never get the windshield done as that's just asking for trouble from the police, even if it is legal it just shows them that you could be doing something you don't want them to see.

Don't use the term 'swag'. You're driving a Benz now, not a VW

For a good quality tint job on a car with this much glass, I'd expect the 3-400 dollar range. You'll want ceramic tint if possible as this will not interfere with GPS/Radio reception and won't fade/turn color as it ages.

I don't have the blue glass but am considering getting 35% done despite all tint being illegal in RI. I've never been bothered and have some friends with badges. Dark enough to cool it down and protect the interior (and look good) but not so dark that I look like I'm selling dope out of my car.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
I had the blue tint and ended up getting 30% all around on my obsidian black w211. Can feel the heat blocking difference!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by jcat
First, yes we know about the blue window tinting. Nothing new there

Search around the board (particularly the w211 AMG board) as many owners here have tinted their blue glass. Personally, I don't think it looks very good at all due to the change in color. I wouldn't do it personally. I'd also never get the windshield done as that's just asking for trouble from the police, even if it is legal it just shows them that you could be doing something you don't want them to see.

Don't use the term 'swag'. You're driving a Benz now, not a VW

For a good quality tint job on a car with this much glass, I'd expect the 3-400 dollar range. You'll want ceramic tint if possible as this will not interfere with GPS/Radio reception and won't fade/turn color as it ages.

I don't have the blue glass but am considering getting 35% done despite all tint being illegal in RI. I've never been bothered and have some friends with badges. Dark enough to cool it down and protect the interior (and look good) but not so dark that I look like I'm selling dope out of my car.
Please don't use the term dope, you're driving a Benz now, not a 1984 Chevy Caprice. Therefore, we prefer to use "illicit narcotics" or "clandestine substances."

Haha, in all seriousness however you do raise some good points. I wouldn't get the windshield done for safety reasons as much as I dislike the police interfering in my business, but I understand the reasons for such mandates. I just love the look of a contiguous black side with tinted windows, recently saw a 2011 S600 at a restaurant with what looked to be 15% and it was beautiful. Anyway...

What do you mean by color change? Does the blue actually interfere with the outcome of the black tint?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by novae500
I had the blue tint and ended up getting 30% all around on my obsidian black w211. Can feel the heat blocking difference!
And that's what I need, here at this elevation and thin atmosphere, the heat with black leather and black exterior is unbearable even in the 70s. Beautiful car though, any issues with going over the blue?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 (W211)
I went with Johnson Silhouette Charcoal Ceramic at 15% all-around. Suppose to have excellent heat resistant qualities without sacrificing radio or electronic interference. Very pleased with the results:

Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Wow! You have excellent visibility and that looks just beautiful. Did you have the blue sport tint initially?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 (W211)
Wow! You have excellent visibility and that looks just beautiful. Did you have the blue sport tint initially?
No, I didn't have the blue sport tint. Personally, I think a 15% tint with the blue sport tint would look really good. GL on the tinting!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by NBDT
No, I didn't have the blue sport tint. Personally, I think a 15% tint with the blue sport tint would look really good. GL on the tinting!
I will really consider that looking at how yours came out thanks a ton!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 S550 4matic
Please don't use the term dope, you're driving a Benz now, not a 1984 Chevy Caprice. Therefore, we prefer to use "illicit narcotics" or "clandestine substances."

Haha, in all seriousness however you do raise some good points. I wouldn't get the windshield done for safety reasons as much as I dislike the police interfering in my business, but I understand the reasons for such mandates. I just love the look of a contiguous black side with tinted windows, recently saw a 2011 S600 at a restaurant with what looked to be 15% and it was beautiful. Anyway...

What do you mean by color change? Does the blue actually interfere with the outcome of the black tint?
This is what I was talking about, the side windows will look fine but the rear won't look right.

Last edited by jcat; 04-06-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: broken pic, hold please
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Ohhhh I see what you mean now, okay thanks.