SOS Tele Aid Malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Too many to count
SOS Tele Aid Malfunction

Hello,

I have a 2005 E 320. I purchased the car in 2005, and used the Tele Aid feature regularly until around 2007, when I purchased a BlackBerry, and no longer needed to use the Tele Aid as much. Today, I forgot my phone at home, and needed to get the address of a restaurant to enter into the COMAND. I thought I was out of luck until I remembered my old friend, Tele Aid. I pressed the "i" button, and to my dismay, and surprise, nothing happened. I pressed it a bunch more times, until eventually I thought I was doing something wrong, and consulted the manual, which said that I needed to press the button for more than 2 seconds, which I did, but once again nothing happened. I then pressed it for about 15 seconds, and suddenly on the speedometer display, I saw: "SOS Tele Aid Malfunction Drive to Workshop." I have researched this quite a bit online, and from what I have found on another thread, this means that the car has an analog Tele Aid system, which is no longer supported. The thread also said that Mercedes Cars '05 and on, including but not limited to the E Class, had a Analog/Digital system, or a Digital System. This seems like a contradiction, in that the car supports digital communications, but gives an error indicative of an Analog System. I would like to make this error go away, but not in a manner that "disables" or "hides" the Tele Aid, but simply makes it functional again. I also observed that the Tele Aid buttons light up red when I turn the car on, which I guess is some sort of self-check from what I have heard. How can I do this?

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks,

Senatov
Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
MY05 211 analog refers to e320cdi model (211.026) only. You can check splitter located under rear shelf in trunk for corrosion https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-workshop.html. If fine, contact TeleAid.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:57 PM

Too many to count
Originally Posted by konigstiger
MY05 211 analog refers to e320cdi model (211.026) only. You can check splitter located under rear shelf in trunk for corrosion https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-workshop.html. If fine, contact TeleAid.
Thanks for your response!

I looked at the components that you posted, and I did not notice any corrosion. I also forgot to mention that the car is a 4 Matic. I then called Tele Aid, and got a mixed response. I got transferred to 4 different people, 2 of whom insisted that I have an analog system, and the other 2 were stumped. I did some investigation of my own, and I observed that nothing will happen when the button is pressed. The COMAND and Speedometer Display remain the same, almost to suggest that the call is not being initiated. If I hold the button for around 10 seconds, I will see "SOS Tele Aid Malfunction Drive to Workshop" on the Speedometer display, which will disappear after a few seconds.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Check your email.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:15 PM

Too many to count
Ok, I got the email.

I have checked the wiring, and everything seems alright. It seems that the problem is that it is not being recognized by Tele Aid.

Last edited by Senatov; 05-08-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-30-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S430 4Matic
04 S430 Teleaid/SOS Defective caused Comand to stop working

My 04 S430 suddenly got the Teleaid/SOS defective message, which caused the entire Comand system to stop working. Now I have no radio or NAV. I never had a subscription, so I'm guessing it is a component/connection issue. Any idea if my model year is covered in any TDB? Also, if anyone has a diagram of the component locations, so that I can check which may have failed and caused this.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:23 AM

BMW, 200 black
Originally Posted by Senatov
It seems that the problem is that it is not Montecrito No 2 being recognized by Tele Aid.
And how to solve this problem? any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by anderson33; 09-11-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 PM

2004 S430 4Matic
Originally Posted by MBoston
My 04 S430 suddenly got the Teleaid/SOS defective message, which caused the entire Comand system to stop working. Now I have no radio or NAV. I never had a subscription, so I'm guessing it is a component/connection issue. Any idea if my model year is covered in any TDB? Also, if anyone has a diagram of the component locations, so that I can check which may have failed and caused this.

Any help is appreciated.
Update: Had the car checked with SDS/DAS and Tele Aid taken out of the loop. The message still remained in the dash, meaning the problem is not SOS. As the technician explained: the dash only knows if Tele Aid is working, since it's the only vital part of the system. If the ring is not complete, it will not report CD changer defective, but will only report Tele aid defective. Possible solution: using special fiber-optic bypass connectors, bypass each component in the loop until the ring completes and the system comes back on. I was told MB does not have a more intelligent way to solve this, other than plug-unplug method. Will be ordering the connectors from the local stealer this week.
If anyone has already dealt with this, please chime in!