E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Engine skipping after oil change! Help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E320
Question Engine skipping after oil change! Help!!

I recently bought a 2003 E 320 and the dealer had it serviced when I bought it (oil change, ect.) I just crossed my first 3000 miles since and I had the oil and filters changed and that same afternoon I began to feel a jumpy engine when it idles down at a stop or red light. When I hit the gas to take off it sputters for a second almost like it is winding up. There was no problem before I had it serviced. This doesn't happen every time I stop but it is happening more often than not. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance guys!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
Just curious -- why did you have it changed at 3000 miles? Who changed it and did they use the proper oil and the right amount (did they overfill). I doubt that the oil service is the issue -- do you have a check engine light? Most likely it is something that is totally unrelated. Did you dealer give you any warranty? Wouldn't hurt to take it back and ask them to take a look at it. All they can do is say no.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
There is no connection between oil change and engine poor performance if they did in fact fill it up with oil and it doesn't leak. Look elsewhere and run the codes. Even if they knocked one plug wire off it would not be that bad. For an oil change it isn't necessary to pull the covers off. So I don't suspect that. My guess is you have something else going on and there should be a code.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
Check for air-leak (hose disconnected by tech, perhaps)

Originally Posted by vettdvr
There is no connection between oil change and engine poor performance if they did in fact fill it up with oil and it doesn't leak. Look elsewhere and run the codes. Even if they knocked one plug wire off it would not be that bad. For an oil change it isn't necessary to pull the covers off. So I don't suspect that. My guess is you have something else going on and there should be a code.
I agree with Vettdvr. The new oil is unlikely to be the issue and you should get it checked for any codes. Anything as bad as you say will produce a code.

You could also look under the hood and see if any rubber hoses have been dislodged during the oil service. For example, there is one right next to the radiator, under and to the front of the radiator expansion tank, right behind the headlight of the driver's side (LHD) that could conceivably have been dislodged if they dropped a part while changing the filter. It's a long-shot, but easy to see. Basically, look for hoses that are not plugged into anything at one or other end.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 PM

03 E320
And the word of the day is HOSES. They took the big air filters off of the top of the motor and they did not reconnect them properly. I haven't been out on the highway yet but the drive around the block was back to normal. Is it not normal to change a benz's oil after 3k? A dealer did it and it wasn't cheap so if I am allotted more miles since its merc then please let me know!! Thank you guys for all responding so quickly. I am new to this forum and the Mercedes In general.
On another note are there any secret diagnostic tips for the W11? I read not long ago about some trick through the media display on a different model, I ask because my hose problem did not throw any error code or check engine lights???
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM

03 E320
Originally Posted by ozusa
You could also look under the hood and see if any rubber hoses have been dislodged during the oil service. For example, there is one right next to the radiator, under and to the front of the radiator expansion tank, right behind the headlight of the driver's side (LHD) that could conceivably have been dislodged if they dropped a part while changing the filter. It's a long-shot, but easy to see. Basically, look for hoses that are not plugged into anything at one or other end.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Sunnybuckdrew
And the word of the day is HOSES. They took the big air filters off of the top of the motor and they did not reconnect them properly. I haven't been out on the highway yet but the drive around the block was back to normal. Is it not normal to change a benz's oil after 3k? A dealer did it and it wasn't cheap so if I am allotted more miles since its merc then please let me know!! Thank you guys for all responding so quickly. I am new to this forum and the Mercedes In general.
On another note are there any secret diagnostic tips for the W11? I read not long ago about some trick through the media display on a different model, I ask because my hose problem did not throw any error code or check engine lights???
Once a year with an OEM Quality filter and Mobil 1 or its equivalent is all you need.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:33 PM

2006 E320CDI
If a MB dealer did your oil change and put the cover on incorrectly I would be looking for a new dealer to work on my car. That is the result of sloppy work which you should not have to pay for.

Your car I think has the FSS that will tell you when the oil needs to be changed. It will compute the mileage based on how you drive and time between changes.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 PM

03 E320
Originally Posted by edwinwalke
If a MB dealer did your oil change and put the cover on incorrectly I would be looking for a new dealer to work on my car. That is the result of sloppy work which you should not have to pay for.

Your car I think has the FSS that will tell you when the oil needs to be changed. It will compute the mileage based on how you drive and time between changes.
I have already moved on from them. I called them this morning and they offered for me to schedule ANOTHER service so they could "diagnose" the problem. Not gonna happen!

Thanks for the heads up about the oil change, I guess they thought they had an easy $85 every couple of months!

Thanks to all for the help throughout this thread! You guys saved me $$$ today and down the road already!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 AM

2006 E320CDI
I have already moved on from them. I called them this morning and they offered for me to schedule ANOTHER service so they could "diagnose" the problem. Not gonna happen!

Thanks for the heads up about the oil change, I guess they thought they had an easy $85 every couple of months!

Thanks to all for the help throughout this thread! You guys saved me $$$ today and down the road already!
Attached is the Maintenance Manual for you car.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2003_e_class Maint Manual.pdf (323.5 KB, 515 views)
Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
If they only charged $85 I am wondering what oil / filter they used.

The OEM filter is about $20 and the 8 qts of oil at around $35.00 means they only made about $20 on the total job.

I am guessing they must have saved $$ somewhere. My dealer oil change runs about $125+. I have been doing mine at home with a topsider for the last 5 yrs. I use only M1 0w40 European Formual and MB fleece filters.

Total job takes me about 20 minutes once a year using the FSS to determine when to change.

Confirm exactly what oil and filter they used. IF they used conventional 'stuff' change at 6000 miles and go with the approved oils and fliters.