Summary of W211 problems and fixes - Page 2 - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
Summary of W211 problems and fixes > Summary of W211 problems and fixes
Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-10-2015, 01:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Summary of W211 problems and fixes

Reply

 
 
Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
  #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'07 BMW e92 335i, '07 MB E350
Originally Posted by Neoii View Post
What is this 12/12 waranty? I bought mine last month CPO. It is an 05 E500. The wipers were not an issue at the time but it started raining recently. I guess I should have tried it out.


This is what I was told. That is too bad. The same discs have no problem playing on my Acura and Mazda.
oh sorry didnt realize your car was an 05

12/12 is 12 months after purchase or 12k miles after purchase...your car no longer falls under that
Crimson92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
  #27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'07 BMW e92 335i, '07 MB E350
Originally Posted by sack5000 View Post
What is up with the ESP malfunction? I get that periodically.
usually a steering angle sensor...the esp malf. light will go off once your cycle the key, the code stays store though.. take it to the dealer im sure the sensor is your prob.....and they go bad all the time
Crimson92 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:59 PM
  #28
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
konigstiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 8,644
Thanked 541 Times in 464 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Neoii View Post
I bought mine last month CPO. It is an 05 E500. The wipers were not an issue at the time but it started raining recently. I guess I should have tried it out.
You can mention DTB P-B-82.30/366c that addresses wipers chattering / noisy. They will inspect the wiper blades/inserts for wear, replace as needed and if required adjust wiper arm angle under warranty.
konigstiger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:56 PM
  #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 384
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
e500
Originally Posted by konigstiger View Post
You can mention DTB P-B-82.30/366c that addresses wipers chattering / noisy. They will inspect the wiper blades/inserts for wear, replace as needed and if required adjust wiper arm angle under warranty.
I'll try that. Thanks.
Neoii is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:02 PM
  #30
Junior Member
 
star3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 E500
Originally Posted by konigstiger View Post
The cooling fan noise you refer to, was it just very loud or was it actually a defective type noise? If your complaint was only loudness, was it solved by simply replacing the fan? After how many visits? Did they claim that the noise was normal? Did they compare your E to other Es? Any and all details would be greatly appreciated. Lastly, could you post a copy of your work order specifically showing the work performed for this repair.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=46624
Had to have the blower motor for the AC replaced recently. It was making a very quiet chirping noise that was hard to duplicate. Techs were able to notice the same thing as well. Feel like having the rear shocks looked at next time I take the car in. Even small bumps make the car feels like it's bottoming out.
star3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
  #31
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
sack5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,903
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
usually a steering angle sensor...the esp malf. light will go off once your cycle the key, the code stays store though.. take it to the dealer im sure the sensor is your prob.....and they go bad all the time
What does it take to replace it in terms of time, do you have a part number? Thanks,
sack5000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:10 PM
  #32
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
konigstiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 8,644
Thanked 541 Times in 464 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by sack5000 View Post
What does it take to replace it in terms of time, do you have a part number? Thanks,
If the malfunction is a faulty steering angle sensor a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) will be stored, replacement involves removing the steering wheel. The vehicle is under warranty bring it in and mention “Action # C1A071101” – applies to MY 2007-2008 211 (E-Class) & 219 (CLS).
konigstiger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 AM
  #33
Senior Member
 
SPNJHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Exit 16E
Posts: 441
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Heater ?

Does anyone have data on these 2 issues:

1. Cover for sunroof continues to make a tapping/clicking sound when going over bumps. Been in twice for foam inside the headliner but doesn't solve the problem.

2. Heater: For no apparent reason, I sometimes get cold air blowing on my feet on the driver's side, even when there's a call for heat, and heat is blowing from the other vents. When it blows cold, the only way to get heat down there is to turn the temp dail up to max (but it gets too hot). This is an intermittant problem and the dealer can't duplicate it.
SPNJHockey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:19 AM
  #34
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
jimmydagreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SFV, SoCal
Posts: 5,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Woah, lots of problems on these things. I'm currently driving my best friend's '03 E500 fully loaded with Pano roof except for navi and thinking about buying it since I just sold my W210 E55. 1 owner, 70k miles on the clock and always dealer serviced with ALL service records. BUT, I'm experiencing the following:

- Loud noise, possibly coming from tires while driving. Sounds like off-road mud tires and feels rough on the road.

- Light vibration here and there from the engine, almost like it's missing.

- Creaking noise over bumps coming from Pano roof area towards the front.

- Pulls to the right, I think it needs tires even though they look pretty good.

- Light plastic burning smell coming from engine compartment, no smoke though.

- Passenger seat keep jacking my back off, lol, and I can't turn it off!

- I didn't catch what it read but I saw some kind of electrical malfunction pop up on the dash and then the radio went out along with the overhead lights and who knows what else. It was brief and then it went away and everything started working again.

Any thoughts anyone before I make a huge mistake!
jimmydagreek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:53 PM
  #35
Member
 
E500Newbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 219
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2005 MB E500
Car steering NOW is pulling to the right. I'm heading to the dealer this coming week for Service F. I'll keep you guys posted. Cannot imagine, this is a Mercedes, why are there so many problem that shouldn't even happened???
E500Newbee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 AM
  #36
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
jimmydagreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SFV, SoCal
Posts: 5,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
I just noticed that my Keyless-Go will only unlock the doors when I walk up and grab the passenger handle but not the driver handle, anyone experience this?

Also, the overhead interior lights when on and sitting at idle in Park flicker ever so slightly with the bit of the engine missing feeling. When I accelerate though they come on strong and steady without any flickering. I wonder what gives???
jimmydagreek is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:41 PM
  #37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by star3 View Post
Had to have the blower motor for the AC replaced recently. It was making a very quiet chirping noise that was hard to duplicate. Techs were able to notice the same thing as well. Feel like having the rear shocks looked at next time I take the car in. Even small bumps make the car feels like it's bottoming out.
Issues:

heater control valve
continued "Brake Visit Work Shop" light
Passenger Power seat does not respond properly to controls
whilstling sound from glove compartment area (blower motor?)

Has anyone sucessfully remedied the whistling/chirping sound from the blower motor without taking it in?
mere320 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 AM
  #38
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Mackhack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,276
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
2004 E320 & E55 AMG
What is the issue with the "pulling to the right"? I thought I noticed it too but I wasn't really sure, but now since people are actually talking about it, it must be true!
Mackhack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 AM
  #39
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Mackhack View Post
What is the issue with the "pulling to the right"? I thought I noticed it too but I wasn't really sure, but now since people are actually talking about it, it must be true!
It's true, but if you find the "right" alignment shop they can fix it. But you will spend time and $$ to get this fixed.

What I find interesting is the new MB commercial on the Eclass being 1 in reliability for the first 2 years of ownership.

I can't believe all these issues are correct. We paid well over $65 for this car and my 99 Lincoln never came close to these issues.
vettdvr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 PM
  #40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2004 E500 4matic Wagon
Re: Keyless Go door handle not working...

part was $181 after MB club discount at my dealer.

you can easily replace it yourself in 30 minutes. Pull back the weather stripping opposite the door handle to expose small hole leading to torx bolt, use a long thin torx allen wrench to remove part next to the handle with keyhole, door handle pulls right out, unplug, plug in new one, slide it into place, good to go.
jeffsnavely is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:00 PM
  #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 414
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
X164
Angry Oil level was going down -

My car has 44k miles on it & I noticed oil level goin down after 1500 miles of oil change (I got the car at 41k so dont kniow any past history of oil consumption) .... Took it in for service & guess what ---------> they told me a v minor leak from the last valve seal .... they said they fixed it but I guess the question is ... SHOULD I GET RID OF THE CAR ?

44k AND AN OIL LEAK, BEFORE 50k I NEED TO BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY ($3500), WOULD IT BE WISE TO TRADE IT IN, PUT 5 GRAND ON TOP AND GET ONE WITH LOWER MILES (20ish) CPOed AN '07 ???

THOUGHTS ?

If I buy the extended Warr, I'd wanna drive it for another 3 yrs ....... jeez I'm hating all this
007_e350 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:56 PM
  #42
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Barry45RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale Area, USA
Posts: 4,957
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by vettdvr View Post
It's true, but if you find the "right" alignment shop they can fix it. But you will spend time and $$ to get this fixed.

What I find interesting is the new MB commercial on the Eclass being #1 in reliability for the first 2 years of ownership.

I can't believe all these issues are correct. We paid well over $65 for this car and my 99 Lincoln never came close to these issues.
The "first 2 years of ownership" they are talking about are 2007's and 2008's (and maybe 2006's). These cars are almost flawless. My '04 was a disaster... a totally different ownership experience.
Barry45RPM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 AM
  #43
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
vettdvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,254
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
The "first 2 years of ownership" they are talking about are 2007's and 2008's (and maybe 2006's). These cars are almost flawless. My '04 was a disaster... a totally different ownership experience.
I realize the newer ones may be improved.

But consider, "trust me and give me $65,000+ tax" we corrected all the issues. The new ones may truly be better cars and I would hope they are! But I still have a hard time justifying buying another after the hanger queen MB sold me.

There are just too many car companies out there with great quality to buy one that has so many issues. This doesn't mean I won't buy another MB,, but it does mean I will really look at more options and MB will now just be one of those options.
vettdvr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
  #44
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Barry45RPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale Area, USA
Posts: 4,957
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2015 ML 350
I will agree, they waited far, far, FAR too long to fix the 211's. They ignored failure rates, customer complaints and dealer service department frustrations in keeping the 03-06 E class on the road. The did a tremendous disservice to purchasers of the 211 E Class, many of whom, like me were 1st time buyers (in MY 2004) If they waited another year before mounting an all out campaign to reengineer all of the problems, It would have put the brand in a death spiral in this country.

While I LOVE my 211, I would definitely check this forum for reports of problems on a new generation product before buying one. I do, however, believe MB has learned a valuable lesson about Quality, and Customer and Brand Loyalty, and won't repeat the mistake.

I understand your frustration with your car, and how you feel after shelling out your hard earned cash on something that should have thrilled you, but I can tell you the 07's + are Fabulous. I know the 2 sides of this equation do not balance out for you though. What a mess.
Barry45RPM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM
  #45
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 76
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
I will agree, they waited far, far, FAR too long to fix the 211's. They ignored failure rates, customer complaints and dealer service department frustrations in keeping the 03-06 E class on the road. The did a tremendous disservice to purchasers of the 211 E Class, many of whom, like me were 1st time buyers (in MY 2004) If they waited another year before mounting an all out campaign to reengineer all of the problems, It would have put the brand in a death spiral in this country.

While I LOVE my 211, I would definitely check this forum for reports of problems on a new generation product before buying one. I do, however, believe MB has learned a valuable lesson about Quality, and Customer and Brand Loyalty, and won't repeat the mistake.

I understand your frustration with your car, and how you feel after shelling out your hard earned cash on something that should have thrilled you, but I can tell you the 07's + are Fabulous. I know the 2 sides of this equation do not balance out for you though. What a mess.
They lost me as a customer...but Hell, I'm stuck with an 03. I've put up with the thing for years. I Just don't want to mess with payments ever again. The trips to the dealership can be considered my payments since I am out of warranty.
1999TL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:18 PM
  #46
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350
Originally Posted by jimmydagreek View Post
I just noticed that my Keyless-Go will only unlock the doors when I walk up and grab the passenger handle but not the driver handle, anyone experience this?

Also, the overhead interior lights when on and sitting at idle in Park flicker ever so slightly with the bit of the engine missing feeling. When I accelerate though they come on strong and steady without any flickering. I wonder what gives???
Yes, it happened to my car on the first day I purchased it as CPO.
Took it to the dealer, and they fixed it under warranty.
MBE550 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 PM
  #47
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
The "first 2 years of ownership" they are talking about are 2007's and 2008's (and maybe 2006's). These cars are almost flawless. My '04 was a disaster... a totally different ownership experience.
I agree. Two 2007 E550 I was checking to buy had almost no warranty work done in 2 years.
MBE550 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 PM
  #48
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 153
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350
Originally Posted by vettdvr View Post
It's true, but if you find the "right" alignment shop they can fix it. But you will spend time and $$ to get this fixed.

What I find interesting is the new MB commercial on the Eclass being 1 in reliability for the first 2 years of ownership.

I can't believe all these issues are correct. We paid well over $65 for this car and my 99 Lincoln never came close to these issues.
Well, I just got my car back today for this same problem.
Now, the car drive perfectly straight, and the slight vibration on the steering wheel around 55mph is gone.

I have read these post prior to visiting the dealer. The service rep. tried to tell me that it is normal to drift to the right.
I said it does not make sense that I have to have my steering turned slight to the left the whole time driving on a highway.
MBE550 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:22 AM
  #49
Member
 
Chicago_Buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: East Lakeview, Chicago
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
560SL, E500
WOW, this IS a scary thread!

I bought my 03 E500 in 2007 with 35k miles, and only thing it's needed is the scheduled service, replace wipers, and a new battery.

I guess the original owner took care of everything while it was still under warranty. My ownership experience with the W211 has been just as good as with my 2001 W210 E430; no complaints here.
Chicago_Buckeye is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:30 AM
  #50
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
gaazmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350 Sport Sedan Designo Magno Cashmere White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black Metallic
Honestly, I just think it's luck with some of the stuff, however there are a lot of reoccuring problems with certain stuff: airmatic (which is not really a defect in a way), glycol, etc.
gaazmon is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
c63amg08
C63 AMG (W204)
12
11-06-2017 09:05 AM
fribj
SLK-Class (R170)
1
10-16-2016 03:43 PM
djokodallas
C Class (W205)
43
10-08-2016 07:59 PM
bigian
C-Class (W203)
7
09-10-2015 02:34 AM
c63amg08
C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202)
1
09-03-2015 04:53 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Copyright © 2001-2012 InternetBrands, Inc. / MBWorld.org. All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: