E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Adding navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pewter W211
Adding navigation

Anyone try this setup before? I've seen the ones on eBay from China but NewEgg is a good company which makes me think this might actually be a good setup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA0BW0A98603
Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I've seen these on ebay before, and I think the fact that it is being sold by Newegg (and I would assume be easily returnable as any of their other items) adds some promise to putting this in.

However the show-stopper for many is that most W211 vehicles were sold with premium audio systems that had fiber optic (MOST bus) amps (called the Audio Gateway) that are located in the trunk. These aftermarket units cannot use these so one must add in a regular amp...potentially impedance matching speakers, and a compatible sub.

Lastly, some later model vehicles have telemetrics features like mBrace, which might rely on the audio system to provide the primary audio path. I would not want to give up my emergency airbag notification, or stolen vehicle tracking features by installing an aftermarket system.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
...and isn't Dynavin THE ONE from China just being sold by someone else? (Not directly by the manufacturer.)

I've been reading this Forum since 2004 and don't recall anyone in the USA who said they had successfully installed and used this unit. I think its a "some parts of the world" replacement, not a USA market replacement. They may possibly work in 2003 MY cars only due to their different radios from the later years.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 09-09-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Agree with you below...one of the reasons I keep monitoring the Dynavin product for compatibility is that they HAVE been rather successful with the BMW community on the older 3 and 5 series models (I can never remember the E#s of those cars).

The ideal aftermarket solution for North American vehicles would probably
- Be directly plug and play with the audio gateway: two connectors on the back, one for the combined MOST bus fiber and power connector, and the other for an Aux-in/USB connector.

- Allow the owner to disable the existing navigation drive and processor to use its own navigation software- integrated gyroscope in the unit for inertial reference, and possible an external GPS connector (in addition to above).

- Be able to recognize and handle Teleaid/mBrace events through the audio system.

- Be able to concurrently manage multiple tasks at the same time, so that a phone call, could be accepted on Bluetooth while the navigation app is also actively running.

There are many other things to think about, like speed dependent volume (which on these cars is NOT done through a speed signal, but by an ambient noise detection microphone), integration with interior CANbus for instrument cluster display and steering wheel controls, etc. etc. etc.

If I had more knowledge in systems engineering, I would reverse engineer the existing firmware code, and write new software. Everything is run in VXworks, which in the latest version of the COMAND software, is, in my opinion very stable, and reasonably fast given the era the system was developed. If enthusiasts are capable of reverse engineering and writing new software for a Canon dSLR camera (Google: Magic Lantern firmware), why would it be any different for the COMAND system.

That rant said....given the problems I have read and seen on the Fiskar Karma in-car system I would GLADLY take our limited COMAND system any day. See below:

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
...and isn't Dynavin THE ONE from China just being sold by someone else? (Not directly by the manufacturer.)

I've been reading this Forum since 2004 and don't recall anyone in the USA who said they had successfully installed and used this unit. I think its a "some parts of the world" replacement, not a USA market replacement. They may possibly work in 2003 MY cars only due to their different radios from the later years.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 PM

Pewter W211
Originally Posted by apl175
However the show-stopper for many is that most W211 vehicles were sold with premium audio systems that had fiber optic (MOST bus) amps (called the Audio Gateway) that are located in the trunk. These aftermarket units cannot use these so one must add in a regular amp...potentially impedance matching speakers, and a compatible sub.
How do you tell which audio system you have?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I may be wrong, but I believe the current (W211) radio/comand/audio system/networking was implemented for the 2004 cars & that the Dynavin system could only be plug & play on 2003 USA cars.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 PM

Pewter W211
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I may be wrong, but I believe the current (W211) radio/comand/audio system/networking was implemented for the 2004 cars & that the Dynavin system could only be plug & play on 2003 USA cars.
I have a 2003 E320 with no navigation but the window sticker states it came with the "E2" package which includes the "Premium Sound System". Any idea if this will be plug and play for me?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 AM

Pewter W211
Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
I have a 2003 E320 with no navigation but the window sticker states it came with the "E2" package which includes the "Premium Sound System". Any idea if this will be plug and play for me?
Bump
Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
Premium sound would mean you have HK audio or Bose, so does your door panel say Harmon Kardon or Bose?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Please put the gun away and you will get more help. You cannot threaten us.

VIN tells what you have and if the retrofit task is as explained here.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 PM

Pewter W211
Originally Posted by DubStep
Premium sound would mean you have HK audio or Bose, so does your door panel say Harmon Kardon or Bose?
I'll take a look tonight when I get home. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Please put the gun away and you will get more help. You cannot threaten us.

VIN tells what you have and if the retrofit task is as explained here.
LOL, don't worry I'd never harm anyone on here. Maybe....
Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 AM

2004 E500 4matic
Just so you guys know, there's another forum post around where someone mentions dropping the Dynavin system in their US W211, and their report is that it worked fine. It was self-installed. I read the post yesterday although I can't seem to find it today. I think it may have been around page 5. Also, from Dynavin's website I see they are selling MOST compatible systems. Dynavin has some model labeled MBE-MOST or something like that. Just search their site. They make an E-class MOST system and a non-MOST system. I believe the MOST one is more expensive. The NewEgg link seems like it would be for a non-MOST. Also, they make Android and Windows Mobile 6. I would get Android if you can because WinMo6 is out of date by about 4 years. Android is at least still updated by Google. Also, I have done a lot of research into these Chinese units, and decided not to buy one. However, I can tell you they started as WinMo5, upgraded to WinMo6, Dynavin seems to buy and sell them with Android as well. Also, the ones that cost ~$750 (700-800) are non-MOST, and the ones that cost $1250 ($1200-$1300) are MOST. Cartronics used to sell them too for $2500, and they were the MOST ones.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:20 AM

2003 E320
I am so lost why for 1 year would they make a non fiber optic system and them make it all fiber the next year?

I have an early 03 with base audio and its got an Audio 50 and when they replaced my head unit they refered alot to it being a fiber optic unit, but then you guys say 03 base sytems are non fiber optic or MOST

Yet if you go directly to dynavins site, its shows which units go with most and non most units, and my base (atleast for the US) audio 50 system says its most.

Are you guys generalizing when you say "all 03 base systems aren't most" because all US cars I see have either an audio 50 or command which seems to all be MOST system units, never seen the 20 unit ever.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:02 AM

2004 E500 4matic
I know this seems strange. I don't recall the specifics because it's been some time since I've searched for this, but I believe that only 03 cars came in DVB and then it changed to all MOST. I don't recall how this relates to Audio 20 vs Audio 50 vs COMAND. Also, the EU cars I do not know much about. Your best bet is to call your local MB dealer, tell them you want a service advisor, then ask them to tell you whether your car has a MOST or DVB system. Have your VIN handy or ask them to look it up by your phone number if you've registered with them. If I recall correctly there were a few crossovers with MOST in 03 and DVB in 04. Your best bet is to check in with MB. However, yes, they did build two systems in the beginning of this car's history. It's unfortunate, but true.