Brake wear message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
Brake wear message

Hey guy few quick questions, got the brake wear message so I changed out the front pads w/ the sensor. There is only 1 sensor for the front correct?

Because i drove the car and I'm still getting the message.. any help?
Or is there a specific way to reset the light?

Thanks guys!
The following users liked this post:
dmcauley46 (03-24-2020)
Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
What is your VIN??
Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
thanks man, I actually got it sorted out today!^
Old 04-13-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Brake pads replaced, NOW "Brake Wear" Indicator is On

I went to an independent shop to have them replace front and rear brake pads with Porterfield pads that I bought. They replaced the rears, but there was a problem with the thickness of the fronts, so they put the original ones back.

After I left the shop, the "Brake Wear" indicator in the dash came on, which was not on when I took it in.

The mechanic said the fronts (which he couldn't replace) still had plenty of wear. Do you think I need to have the wear sensors replaced when I go back to have the front pads replaced with the correct pads? If so, do I replace both the front and rear sensors or just the rear?

On a 2008 4matic is there one front and one rear wear sensor? Thanks.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Did they connect the sensors correctly!!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:23 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Did they connect the sensors correctly!!
My guess is they either didn't reconnect the sensors correctly or somehow crimped the wires for the connectors. Since I have to go back for the front pads anyway, should I save myself more back-and-forth and just bring with me new sensors (they seem to be around $10 apiece)? Is there just one right front and one right rear sensor?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Makes sense to bring two sensors with you. One for the front right outer pad and one for the right rear inner pad.(after MY05)

Your buddy better have a DAS Xentry system if your car has Sensotronic!!

Last edited by Plutoe; 04-14-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190e 2.6 Sportline
I just had this sensor come on as well. My car is an 03 E320 and noticed it has 2 sensors, one on each side. They are set at different limits on the brakes. When I swapped them out(because the brake wear indicator came on) my brakes were just under half. I think the next sensor is at 75% wear.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by jquiroz1969
I just had this sensor come on as well. My car is an 03 E320 and noticed it has 2 sensors, one on each side. They are set at different limits on the brakes. When I swapped them out(because the brake wear indicator came on) my brakes were just under half. I think the next sensor is at 75% wear.
On my car, there are two sensors -- front right and rear right (identical part). I had them replace both and no more wear sensor indicator. They're pretty inexpensive, so it was worth it to avoid more trips to the shop.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:07 AM

2006 E320 CDI
Hi there, I'm having some issues with my "Brake Wear, Visit Workshop" display not turning off.

I replaced the front brakes and sensor after the message displayed on the dash. But when I was replacing the pads, I noticed that even though they were quite thin, they hadn't worn down to the level of the sensor yet.. the sensor was still intact.

I checked the rears and there's still lots of pad left back there. I tested the sensor with a multimeter and its fine too.

The message is still hanging around my dash and I would love to get rid of it. Any ideas of what else could be going wrong?

Thanks

I'm driving a 2006 E320 CDI - only has 2 sensors, front right and rear right.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Gossipgirl
Hi there, I'm having some issues with my "Brake Wear, Visit Workshop" display not turning off.

I replaced the front brakes and sensor after the message displayed on the dash. But when I was replacing the pads, I noticed that even though they were quite thin, they hadn't worn down to the level of the sensor yet.. the sensor was still intact.

I checked the rears and there's still lots of pad left back there. I tested the sensor with a multimeter and its fine too.

The message is still hanging around my dash and I would love to get rid of it. Any ideas of what else could be going wrong?

Thanks

Check your brake fluid level it might be low and give you the warning.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:51 PM

2018 E400 4matic Wagon

Thanks

The only thing I can think of is to replace the rear sensor also.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD

Thanks

Are you sure that both sensors are connected correctly---if not you will get that message even though you think the sensors are inserted and connected correctly
Old 05-18-2013, 02:45 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Thanks for ideas everyone,
I checked the fluid and the level is adequate.
I revisited both sensors and ensured they are securely plugged into their harnesses. And yet, the Brake Wear is still displayed on my dashboard.

I decided to take a multimeter to the sensors to make sure they are not faulty. Both of them are fine. But when I used the multimeter to check the cable that each sensor plugs in to, my rear one wasn't giving me a signal - the circuit does not appear to complete. I didn't see any physical damage to it, but much of it is hidden within/underneath the car. I ordered a new one at the dealership and am waiting for its arrival. Hopefully this corrects the issue. I will be out of ideas after replacing this cable.

keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:21 PM

2006 E320 CDI
I replaced the rear cable that the brake sensor plugs into and my Brake Wear message is finally gone!!

Turns out that the cable loosened from one of its attachment points and was rubbing against something that pretty much cut it in half. Dealer wanted $140 to run a star diagnostic on the car, and replacing the cable would have cost around $250. The actual cable cost me just over $50 and took about an hour to replace - no special tools needed.

It feels so good to have that message gone!