E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New Motor Mounts Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 AMG Sport
New Motor Mounts Installed

I am letting you know first hand... From experience... I had my mechanic put in 2 fresh motor mounts and a tranny mount today... It feels like a am driving the car right off the lot for the first time... Cannot even tell the engine is running. As my suspicions were correct, the motor mounts had failed and the tranny mount was getting ready to.... The crazy heavy vibration at stop signs and red lights is completely gone... No more shaking... and even when I turn the AC on you can not tell it was turned on... very quiet.. smoother acceleration as well... nicer ride... I love it...
Attached Thumbnails New Motor Mounts Installed-bad-motor-mounts-20-1280x1280-.jpg  
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM

2003 E320
Originally Posted by Nikolaos44
I am letting you know first hand... From experience... I had my mechanic put in 2 fresh motor mounts and a tranny mount today... It feels like a am driving the car right off the lot for the first time... Cannot even tell the engine is running. As my suspicions were correct, the motor mounts had failed and the tranny mount was getting ready to.... The crazy heavy vibration at stop signs and red lights is completely gone... No more shaking... and even when I turn the AC on you can not tell it was turned on... very quiet.. smoother acceleration as well... nicer ride... I love it...
Cool! That's good to hear. My GF's E320 needs the same; all 3 mounts need to be replaced; otherwise it's a fine car.

Did you have an independent shop perform the service? What was the cost?

Cheers,

Doug
Old 09-27-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Thats the same mount as was used on the W210.

New, they measure 17mm between upper rubber rims; they are considered collapsed at 13mm.

Easiest way to check them is to use a socket as a feeler gauge. For example, my 10mm fits snuggly inside my 13mm...
Old 09-27-2012, 12:49 PM

E500 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by CyclingMBer
Cool! That's good to hear. My GF's E320 needs the same; all 3 mounts need to be replaced; otherwise it's a fine car.

Did you have an independent shop perform the service? What was the cost?

Cheers,

Doug
I had a local mechanic who works on European cars.... he charged me 3 hours work... I figured it took less than that.... I bought the mounts off ebay new from another company... all 3 cost me $150 with warrant.. and the mechanic charged me 250.... over all 400 bucks and its less than half what the dealer would charge with thew same effect... I am still in awe... Love my car even better.... i only bought it not even a month ago and i couldn't be happier
Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 PM

2003 E320
Thanks for the details; very helpful. With the knowledge, I was able to get the mechanic to lower the price from 600 to $480; I know that's still a little high, but the mechanic already had the car, and it was easier to let him do it (friend of a friend)...

Looking forwrd to a car that no longer imitates those vibrating motel beds of the '60's! ...

Doug
Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 PM

volvo
they are considered collapsed at 13mm
Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 PM

E500 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by CyclingMBer
Thanks for the details; very helpful. With the knowledge, I was able to get the mechanic to lower the price from 600 to $480; I know that's still a little high, but the mechanic already had the car, and it was easier to let him do it (friend of a friend)...

Looking forwrd to a car that no longer imitates those vibrating motel beds of the '60's! ...

Doug
Best of luck my friend... I have been taking the long way to my destinations since yesterday... love the feel...
Old 09-28-2012, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
The real question to ask is why do so many mounts fail After all it is a Mercedes and why are so many owers having to buy mounts???
Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Originally Posted by vettdvr
The real question to ask is why do so many mounts fail After all it is a Mercedes and why are so many owers having to buy mounts???
Its simply comfort over function. Soft oil filled balloon that deterioates versus solid rubber mounts of yesteryear.

The 68' Chevy mounts lasted longer.

The new MB mounts allow you to drive and idle in comfort and not feel like you just dropped a quarter into the vibrating bed at a cheap motel on Hwy 66.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by TMAllison
Its simply comfort over function. Soft oil filled balloon that deterioates versus solid rubber mounts of yesteryear.

The 68' Chevy mounts lasted longer.

The new MB mounts allow you to drive and idle in comfort and not feel like you just dropped a quarter into the vibrating bed at a cheap motel on Hwy 66.
I could save lots of quarters with 68 chevy mounts in my mb, and the engine is so well balanced I probably would not get the same vibs as I did in a cheap motel in 1964.