E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Please HELP... Key not working!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 e350
Please HELP... Key not working!!

So today is the time I've ever had a problem with my 2007 e350 (124k miles).

When I tried starting the car, the key wasn't recognized by the ignition and I could not start the car!

I locked/unlocked the doors with the fob, tried it again and it worked. I drove to my friend's house to watch the world series and when I got out, I tried locking the door with the fob, but nothing. Now the fob doesn't work (lock, unlock, panic all doesn't work).

On a hunch I tried staring the car, but it is not recognized by the car and will not turn or make the noise it usually makes.

I read on other threads that the coil inside the fob is powered by the ignition, so a low battery in the fob shouldn't cause this effect (but it was for w210, is the w211 fob also energized by the ignition).

What can this be???

What can I try??

Please help!!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
replace the fob batteries. No point trying anything else first.

a
Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2007 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by 700horses
So today is the time I've ever had a problem with my 2007 e350 (124k miles).

When I tried starting the car, the key wasn't recognized by the ignition and I could not start the car!

I locked/unlocked the doors with the fob, tried it again and it worked. I drove to my friend's house to watch the world series and when I got out, I tried locking the door with the fob, but nothing. Now the fob doesn't work (lock, unlock, panic all doesn't work).

On a hunch I tried staring the car, but it is not recognized by the car and will not turn or make the noise it usually makes.

I read on other threads that the coil inside the fob is powered by the ignition, so a low battery in the fob shouldn't cause this effect (but it was for w210, is the w211 fob also energized by the ignition).

What can this be???

What can I try??

Please help!!
Do you have the second key to try?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 PM

2007 e350
Replaced batteries

Ok so I kept trying to push buttons and finally got the lifts to work again... I went outside and the car started!

...then started again fine the next morning, but after work it happened again. I had my girlfriend bring me some batteries since the fob seemed dead again, but it randomly started working again before she got there.

I replaced the batteries anyway and went to the grocery store, on the way out the fob unlocked the doors, but wouldn't start the car. Then although the red fob light worked, it stopped locking/unlocking the doors. I took out the batteries and put them back in, nothing. I tried inserting the key a few times and finally the red light on the fob stayed on solid red when I pulled the key out.

So now, the fob does not work locking/unlocking the doors and will not start the car, and the red light on the fob stays lit solid red nonstop.

What could this be???
Old 10-29-2012, 11:23 PM

2007 e350
No spare

Jimbo 1763... No, I unfortunately do not have the spare key.

Last edited by 700horses; 10-30-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: wanted to specify who the message was aimed toward.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:54 AM

2007 e350
Update

So I took out the batteries and put them back in, the light is off now and flashes when I push the button, but still will not lock/unlock the car and still wil not start the car.

Peculiar though that when I push the unlock button I can hear some kind of noise and also can hear the cd start spinning in the player.

Also, I read on another forum that after replacing the batteries in the fob, I have to drive the car for at least 30 mins for it to full resynch to the car... Is this true??

Right now my car is stuck in the Trader Joe's parking lot.

PLEASE HELP
Old 11-05-2012, 02:36 PM

2007 e350
Fixed

I ordered a new key from the dealer and it works great.

I just wanted to conclude the thread for the sake of someone searching this in the future and not knowing how it got fixed.

Thank you to everyone who did chime in.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2007 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by 700horses
I ordered a new key from the dealer and it works great.

I just wanted to conclude the thread for the sake of someone searching this in the future and not knowing how it got fixed.

Thank you to everyone who did chime in.
Great. And I see from your other thread that you ordered a spare key-it really is a good idea to have two of them, just in case.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM
brm

2008 E350 Sport
Thanks for closing out the thread. It will make it a lot more useful in the future.