2004 E320 - Airmatic Suspension Query

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
2004 E320 - Airmatic Suspension Query

Hi,

I am convinced there is an issue with my Airmatic Suspension, however the MB dealer has checked it for leaks and confirmed there are no issues.

Presently it seams to be coming on more often than I would have expected whilst driving which is quite annoying.

Does anyone know how often the pump should activate when driving?

Whilst the following doesn't happen every time, the pump occasionally switches on as soon as the doors unlock and conversely when locking, air can be heard eminating from the front wheel arches and the car lowers. I understood the system to be sealed and can't understand a) why it does this and b) why MB have not picked it up.

Is this normal?

Cheers
Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
If the road is rough overpressure from sudden impact might/could cause a small amout of venting which would require the pump to run a few seconds to pump replace the vented air.

However if you get the car low indicator in the FSS you probably have a problem otherwise I suspect what you have is normal.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E320 4matic Sedan
Is it the SBC unit making the noise, and not the airmatic?

Do you know what the SBC unit is? It is the brake pump, basically, and it is near the front left wheel. It makes noises when you first open the doors. Perhaps this is what you are hearing and not the airmatic pumps.

It is not that common for E320s to have airmatic, but I presume you know what you've got, since you say the car lowers. You do have a few buttons around the gear shift with shock absorber pics on them and not just one button that says "C/S" ?