DMV registration fee

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
DMV registration fee

i just had a quick question. for the people who already have gotten thier replacement cars, does the dealer pay for the first year of the DMV registration fee($1,000) or do you have to pay for it? tia
Old 08-03-2003, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S550
There are no out-of-pocket fees (unless you added an option). They do have paperwork and the fees get charged on the paperwork, but everything works backwards to a zero balance.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:39 PM

E500
they even paid for my tint

Last edited by thug_law; 08-05-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by thug_law
they even paid for me tint
what do you mean? thanks
Old 08-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Almost a Member!

My dealer told me that there'd be $75 charge for transfer of registration. I assumed that this would be free. Originally my dealer didn't know that I was suppose to prepay for the nav and instead had given me an extra $500 discount on my original car and told me to pay $2125 when the retrofit was available. Obviously that didn't happen and so he had to work to get me on the nav replacement list. Anyway, I have to pay $2125 + $500 (added the wood wheel) + $395 (tinted windows). The only thing free I'm getting are floor mats and I had gotten a slight discount on the tinted windows. I don't think i'm gonna complain about the $75 registration fee since he had helped me out by getting me on the nav replacement list (although he should have told me to prepay in the beginning). What do you guys think?
Old 08-04-2003, 07:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Oh one more thing, my teleaid doesn't start over again, the remainder of the free year continues with the new car.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by Zandorf
Oh one more thing, my teleaid doesn't start over again, the remainder of the free year continues with the new car.
really????

i thought other people said they got a whole new year, i would try to fight that, it is a new car....especially if they are goign to make you pay for the new car registration
Old 08-04-2003, 08:55 PM

2013 S550
I got the full year.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:27 AM

E500
my dealer also reimbursed me for my tint, so I can re-tint my windows. They also offered to tint the windows.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:01 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by Zandorf
Mine started over with the replacement
Old 08-05-2003, 05:34 PM

2003 MB E500
Hi bmms8. In VA we have personal property tax on cars. On my replacement car, the dealer paid to transfer my vanity plates and everything related to the transaction. The PP Tax is paid to the County in which I live. They prorated the tax on the old car and the same for the new one based on the transfer date. It should work out to be about what I would have paid if i had not had a replacement car. You may find the same to be true even though the fee is different.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by rayscar
Hi bmms8. In VA we have personal property tax on cars. On my replacement car, the dealer paid to transfer my vanity plates and everything related to the transaction. The PP Tax is paid to the County in which I live. They prorated the tax on the old car and the same for the new one based on the transfer date. It should work out to be about what I would have paid if i had not had a replacement car. You may find the same to be true even though the fee is different.
i see, thanks a lot, im going to call my salesman right now anyway, make sure vpc did get the car and stuff, thanks
Old 08-05-2003, 06:01 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by bmms8
i see, thanks a lot, im going to call my salesman right now anyway, make sure vpc did get the car and stuff, thanks
When do you get your replacement car?
Old 08-05-2003, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
When do you get your replacement car?
i just called, hes with a client right now, but it takes about 6 days to get to the dealer from the VPC. its only about 100 miles away. hopefully the car has arrived at the VPC today.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:05 PM

2003 MB E500
i just called, hes with a client right now, but it takes about 6 days to get to the dealer from the VPC. its only about 100 miles away. hopefully the car has arrived at the VPC today.
That's great. Hang in there.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
That's great. Hang in there.
thanks man, yea, im really excited, the car we have now is awesome, ill miss it they might have to take an extra day though for lojack and chrome rims

also, there are voice prompts right? how does she say it...does she just say " you have to take a right turn in .3 miles or something, or does she also give the street name? thanks
Old 08-05-2003, 06:43 PM

2003 MB E500
thanks man, yea, im really excited, the car we have now is awesome, ill miss it they might have to take an extra day though for lojack and chrome rims

also, there are voice prompts right? how does she say it...does she just say " you have to take a right turn in .3 miles or something, or does she also give the street name? thanks
Yes there are voice prompts. She will say prepare to turn right at about 6-7 tenths of a mile. Then at about 700 feet she will say tunr right in 700 feet. You will see it counting down the feet on a bar graph on the main display and also in the center of the spedo if you have the Nav menu option selected. When it counts down to zero she will say turn right now. The street name appears on the display on the screen and the spedo.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Yes there are voice prompts. She will say prepare to turn right at about 6-7 tenths of a mile. Then at about 700 feet she will say tunr right in 700 feet. You will see it counting down the feet on a bar graph on the main display and also in the center of the spedo if you have the Nav menu option selected. When it counts down to zero she will say turn right now. The street name appears on the display on the screen and the spedo.
oo, thats pretty cool, has it ever got lost? sounds like a real nice system, can you compare to others? sorry about all the Q's, thanks
Old 08-05-2003, 07:11 PM

2003 MB E500
oo, thats pretty cool, has it ever got lost? sounds like a real nice system, can you compare to others? sorry about all the Q's, thanks
For me it's been very accurate. No problems. entering info is fairly easy too. I can't compare to other systems since this is the first one i've had but it will something I get from now on in my cars along with the bi-zenon lights!
Old 08-06-2003, 12:06 AM

On the replacement car, my slime ball dealer (Ray Catena Edison) tried to charge me $275 for registration and doc fee, but I told him to go shove it, and he backed down. Also, my Teleaid was restarted with a full new year.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna see what I can do about the registration fee and tele-aid when I pick up my car on Friday. Apparently I should be getting a free year of tele-aid according to all of you. I'll let you all know what happens.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:58 PM

S550, GL450
Hi,

My dealer charged me $440 for DMV Registration on the replacement, it appears that most board member here do not have to pay registration, does any member here also have to pay registration fee?

Bmms8 - if you reading this, so did you have to pay reg. fee?
I remember you bought from Fletcher Jones, right?

A little side story, my replacement car got screw up on the wood steering wheel (they gave me the old version with plastic center piece not the nicer stitched leather center piece), got charged $440 reg. fee, and Navi not working at all. So the new car has to go to the shop before I can drive it home!!

Thanks!

Dlau
Old 08-19-2003, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by Dlau
Hi,

My dealer charged me $440 for DMV Registration on the replacement, it appears that most board member here do not have to pay registration, does any member here also have to pay registration fee?

Bmms8 - if you reading this, so did you have to pay reg. fee?
I remember you bought from Fletcher Jones, right?

A little side story, my replacement car got screw up on the wood steering wheel (they gave me the old version with plastic center piece not the nicer stitched leather center piece), got charged $440 reg. fee, and Navi not working at all. So the new car has to go to the shop before I can drive it home!!

Thanks!

Dlau
sorry about all of your problems man, i havent heard of the nav not working, i hope they get it fixed quick. i bought my car from MB or Escondido in San Diego. i didnt have to pay for anything excpet the $45 for the personal license fee, DMV said it was close to a year, so they charged us. thats all though, i dont know why your dealer would charge you, i would try to have them give i back to you, especially after waiting all of this time, and still not getting a car.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:22 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
This is pretty crazy. Clearly from the members of the forum there is no question the MB has directed dealers for a "no cost" replacement experience for the customer. It seems like dealers have taken it in their own hands to try to "rob" unsuspecting customers by telling them that they have to pay certain fees which MB is actually picking up. I'm sure this money actually goes straight into the dealers pocket. In certain cases like Pat A., when the customer says, "I'm not paying", they act like "we'll waive the fee..."

Why doesn't MBUSA control their dealers more effectively? MBUSA should have a clause in their contracts with dealers that penalize them for actions like this...
Old 08-20-2003, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Dlau should confront the dealer and ask for documentation that MB is not picking up the registration.

As abhansali said..clearly MB is paying for the registration. There is no way that MB has just refused to pick up the fees for a couple of customers.

I paid nothing. Almost everyone on this forum paid nothing. There has only been 1 or 2 posts where the dealer tried to rip off the customer.

Confront the dealer. We can back you up with the confirmation that no one paid the registration. The dealer has no idea that you are in contact with so many "replacement" owners and feels you will not know any better.

I started a new thread to just deal with the registration and license fees so you can copy the posts and get your money back from the dealer.

Last edited by etenn; 08-20-2003 at 12:20 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DMV registration fee