E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Right side mirror not tilting down while parking??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right side mirror not tilting down while parking??

What is the exact method you guys used to set the right side mirror so it tilts down when in reverse?I thought I had it,but guess not..........
Old 08-06-2003, 11:14 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
To set the "down" position, you manually set it then hold the M button for a few seconds. I believe you must have the ignition in run but the engine off. To make it tilt, the right mirror select switch must be depressed. If you have the switch depressed for the left mirror, it will not tilt when you engage reverse.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Jim has it right. I had some problem at first because I did not leave the "right hand" mirror selection button pushed after memorizing the position. In other words, if you leave the drivers side mirror (left) depressed, the option won't work.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:23 AM

2003 E500
This reminds me that I tried to make this option work, but then gave up fooling with it.

What I remember is that the manual seemed to suggest that you could get the right-hand mirror just to tilt downward. However, when I set the option on the control panel, I got the mirror to tilt both downward and out. It was the tilting out that I don't understand and don't want. If anything, it would be helpful to have the mirror tilt down and in (since I normally have it set to cover the blind spot on the right side, which is out from the car).

Is there a way to get it to tilt down but not out?
Old 08-06-2003, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
The object of the feature is to allow you to set the passenger side mirror to look down (at the curb) when backing up and parking.

You set it as described in the manual. If it goes down and out when you put the car in reverse, it is going to the position you memorized. Try getting it just where you want it to go when you put the car in reverse. Push the memory button (be sure the seat and everything else is also in the position you want to memorize). Leave the mirror selector button for the passenger side selected.

Now, when you shift into reverse the mirror should go to the position you set it. It is a really good thing for parking when you get it right.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:27 PM

yes you set the normal view and reverse view. it's a nice feature. don't know if this feature has been enhanced from previous mb models. i was surprise to find out that you can set where you want to see in reverse and the car remembers that setting.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:14 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
Just a point of clarification on the M button: when you set the tilt-down option don't push 1-2-or 3, just push the M. Setting the reversing position for the mirror alone does not affect the 1-2-3 positions, and, as far as I can tell, the reversing position is the same for all memory seat positions.

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2003, 03:58 PM

2010 E550
Question

I tried to do this and gave up when I first got my car. Seems like the reverse position of the mirror stayed in that position all the time. I'm not sure if I followed the directions above but will give it another go. Is there a place in the menu system where you have to turn the reverse option on?
Old 08-06-2003, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by STKLAW
I tried to do this and gave up when I first got my car. Seems like the reverse position of the mirror stayed in that position all the time. I'm not sure if I followed the directions above but will give it another go. Is there a place in the menu system where you have to turn the reverse option on?
to turn it on, the power mirror selector must be on the right mirror. the manual should give you directions on how to set up the reverse mirror.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:24 PM

2013 GL550
I think you can turn it on or off for good via the settings function on the steering wheel buttons. I have mine off all the time since I rarely parallel park. Make sure yours isn't turned off there first. Good luck!!

Bruce
Old 08-06-2003, 10:26 PM

2003 E500
I tried it again tonight after I got home, and what do you know, no problem getting it to work. I have no idea what I was doing or omitting to do before, but I am going to quit while I am ahead. The relevant manual pages are 111, 144, 158.