E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Conversion- Digital Ac Control Unit

Old 06-26-2017, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
On my 2008 I replaced the climatronic from the one where REST did not work, to 4-zone where I can read sensor values.
Deep scan will show the message that unit is not paired, but don't have any errors showing
Old 04-12-2019, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 w211, 320CDI avantgarde combi

Hello to you. I have a problem, I changed the climate control panel to the higher one in the picture from a friend, the problem with the button I have solved, air conditioning and the AC button work properly (SD coding) but could anyone send a schematic and a description of the pins of the climate panel plugs? I have a problem because after the ignition how colder there is no additional electric heater after the change of the panel (thermotronic?) And the car in the middle and the engine warm up for a long time.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
1991 190E 2.3
Hello all,

Hoping to bring this back to gain some confirmation after digging through this thread. Something I bookmarked and have been wanting to do and a FB post spurred my curiosity to get this figured out. I have a 2005 E320 CDI meaning that I only have Dual Zone Climate Control. My understanding from reading this thread is that I can use a 4 Zone Climate Control Unit but there will be buttons that do not get utilized. It also appears that this "REST" feature is pretty handy. 2118302490 & 2118303290 Appear to be the ones that could work. Can somebody kindly confirm? Is 2118302285 another one that will work? Now with regards to a 2 Zone with a Climate Control the only thing i have been able to find is 2118302290 BUT the issue with that unit is that the knobs are in Celsius. Is there a Fahrenheit version that exists and what is the part # for it? Is it possible to just swap the knobs between my current unit and if I can find one with the "REST" button?

Thank you
Old 12-29-2019, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Few dual zone climatronics come with REST button, but I hear the option was available only for Canadians models.
Coming to the system, lately MB does C only from what I see.
In W210 some climatronics were showing in F, some in C but there was no option to switch between the systems.
I spend part of my life in metric system, so comparing the values become automatic for me.
In short - human comfort level is +- 20C or 70F.
Water freezes at 0C or 32F.
Funny that at negative 20's both scales come to the same number.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:05 PM

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Few dual zone climatronics come with REST button, but I hear the option was available only for Canadians models.
Coming to the system, lately MB does C only from what I see.
In W210 some climatronics were showing in F, some in C but there was no option to switch between the systems.
I spend part of my life in metric system, so comparing the values become automatic for me.
In short - human comfort level is +- 20C or 70F.
Water freezes at 0C or 32F.
Funny that at negative 20's both scales come to the same number.
Thank you for the reply kajtek1. What i am more curious about now is that @Stuttgarten has the following thread detailing that his Climate Control went into a rest mode without his doing. Stuttgarten's Thread Again my understanding of the rest feature is that it is great for people in colder climates as it allows the car to blow hot air into the cabin after a stop or it can do cold as well. I have found a HVAC unit with the REST button but the knobs are just in Celsius. Not a big deal but I would genuinely love to know if they could be swapped and if the particular model number i found would work in my car as well.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Aali1011
Thank you for the reply kajtek1. What i am more curious about now is that @Stuttgarten has the following thread detailing that his Climate Control went into a rest mode without his doing. Stuttgarten's Thread Again my understanding of the rest feature is that it is great for people in colder climates as it allows the car to blow hot air into the cabin after a stop or it can do cold as well. I have found a HVAC unit with the REST button but the knobs are just in Celsius. Not a big deal but I would genuinely love to know if they could be swapped and if the particular model number i found would work in my car as well.
What button is in C instead of F? The C and F is part of the display and shows C or F in accordance with the system setting which is set in your cluster. If you see something that I don’t see please post a picture.

If you want all buttons to work and you’re mainly after a display go with a facelift AC control module. It has less buttons and less headache. But in all cases you will always have faults stored because your 2-zone AC climate box only has so many actuators and flaps, no climate sensor, no sun sensor, etc. Since they are missing the system detects that and the faults are being set.

You could also completely retrofit a 4-zone system. Dash needs to be disassembled, new wiring harness, new (used) climate box, sun sensor, climate sensor, new door panels, new B-Pilar panels, lots of small parts, SD to code it and you’re on your way.

Last edited by Mackhack; 12-29-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:01 PM

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by Mackhack
What button is in C instead of F? The C and F is part of the display and shows C or F in accordance with the system setting which is set in your cluster. If you see something that I don’t see please post a picture.

If you want all buttons to work and you’re mainly after a display go with a facelift AC control module. It has less buttons and less headache. But in all cases you will always have faults stored because your 2-zone AC climate box only has so many actuators and flaps, no climate sensor, no sun sensor, etc. Since they are missing the system detects that and the faults are being set.

You could also completely retrofit a 4-zone system. Dash needs to be disassembled, new wiring harness, new (used) climate box, sun sensor, climate sensor, new door panels, new B-Pilar panels, lots of small parts, SD to code it and you’re on your way.
Hey Mackhack glad to see someone from the inception of this thread post something. Please see the following Ebay Link I am referring to Here So that unit is part number A2118302290 and looks to be a 2 Zone Climate Control. Notice though that the temperature control knobs on either side are in Celsius rather then Fahrenheit. When thinking about it the positions are the same between either model but it just makes sense to have them in Fahrenheit. That is why i was posing the question of would it be possible to swap the knobs.

So if i am understanding what you are saying correctly no matter if i get a climate control from a 2 or 4 Zone facelift car it will still store faults because of the lack of the hardware between pre and post face lift?

But again to confirm my safe bets to make this change are

&

I just don't know the difference between the two part numbers.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:35 PM
Banned

Hey Mackhack glad to see someone from the inception of this thread post something. Please see the following Ebay Link I am referring to Here So that unit is part number A2118302290 and looks to be a 2 Zone Climate Control. Notice though that the temperature control knobs on either side are in Celsius rather then Fahrenheit. When thinking about it the positions are the same between either model but it just makes sense to have them in Fahrenheit. That is why i was posing the question of would it be possible to swap the knobs.

So if i am understanding what you are saying correctly no matter if i get a climate control from a 2 or 4 Zone facelift car it will still store faults because of the lack of the hardware between pre and post face lift?

But again to confirm my safe bets to make this change are

&

I just don't know the difference between the two part numbers.
Got it. Well that is a rest of world control module. Simply don’t buy it if you need one in F.

Correct, the temperature is the same. 0 C is as cold as 32 F. Americans just like to do their own ****ty thing and stick with their nonsense imperial units that nobody understands.

Regardless of facelift or prefacelift, if motors, actuators and flaps are missing you’ll have faults stored. But you only see them or you want to see them in SD. They don’t interfere with the functionality.

The only thing to pay attention to is that the facelift unit has a rest button. That wasn’t series anymore and only available as a SA for extra $$$. If your car has the REST function I wouldn’t wanna miss it. We use it in the summer to keep the fan going for up to 30 minutes while the roof is tilted to keep the car somewhat cooler in the California sun.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't recall Stuttgarten ever figure out why his REST lit up on the display?
The 4-zone climatronic I installed on my 2008 model did not have temperature knobs, but digital scale was still in C.
Since I spend parts of my life in both system- I don't even pay attention to it.
Last weekend I went via boxes of MB parts I have for cars I already sold. Must be $10,000 worth to buy those parts new (yet lot of them landed in garbage can)
So I found 4-zone climatronic part # 211 830 0685 I had for spare.
ANYBODY WANTS TO MAKE AN OFFER.?
It shows minimal wear and was plug & play on 2008 model.
Have old 2-zone digital climatronic as well

Last edited by kajtek1; 12-30-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:49 PM
Banned

I don't recall Stuttgarten ever figure out why his REST lit up on the display?
The 4-zone climatronic I installed on my 2008 model did not have temperature knobs, but digital scale was still in C.
Since I spend parts of my life in both system- I don't even pay attention to it.
Last weekend I went via boxes of MB parts I have for cars I already sold. Must be $10,000 worth to buy those parts new (yet lot of them landed in garbage can)
So I found 4-zone climatronic part # 211 830 0685 I had for spare.
ANYBODY WANTS TO MAKE AN OFFER.?
It shows minimal wear and was plug & play on 2008 model.
Have old 2-zone digital climatronic as well
Kajtek1 my friend long time no see Seems like you’re collecting parts just like I do. Friends keep telling me I have a MB warehouse in my garage.

I was tinkering myself too and modified my 4-Zone unit a bit.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did it mostly for monitoring refrigerant charge as original climatronic was having occasional hiccups and at the time the $150 MB scanners did not exist.
One of those days we have to have some German beer together
Would you be in Vegas, the round is on me.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:38 PM
Banned

I did it mostly for monitoring refrigerant charge as original climatronic was having occasional hiccups and at the time the $150 MB scanners did not exist.
One of those days we have to have some German beer together
Would you be in Vegas, the round is on me.
we are usually 2-3 times a year. Will let you know.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:34 PM

1991 190E 2.3
Kajtek1 my friend long time no see Seems like you’re collecting parts just like I do. Friends keep telling me I have a MB warehouse in my garage.

OOOOOOOO This looks interesting. So with this in mind, is it possible to switch the knobs between units with relative ease? I am debating about the whole idea of the Rest button still since I put a remote starter in my car today. Easiest remote starter i have done in my life.

@kajtek1 I may be interested in that 2 Zone Climate Control that you have

NINJA EDIT:

After rereading what kajtek1 said I decided to look at ebay canada to see if I could find a 2 Zone climate control with the rest button. Sure enough i was able to find one albeit in Celsius but the model number is different. The first one I found had model # 2118302290 the one i just found searching eBay Canada was 2118302390. I was going over the pictures of the two and noticed that the HW and SW #s are different as well. Is there any sort of information that helps to better interpret these numbers and what they mean?

Going out on a limb here and using the transitive property. Based off of @Drag0na5h 's post he went from a 2118301485 with HW 1504 and SW 2604 to a 2118302490 with HW 0806 and SW 0807. A 2 Zone Climate Control with rest A2118302390 has the same HW and SW #s at the unit that Drag0na5h went to. So I would think that the is the one without a Rest button worked then so would the one with a Rest button since maybe the HW and SW #s match. As you can see i am trying to ensure if i take this endeavor on I am not stuck with something unusable.

Last edited by Aali1011; 12-30-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have seen so many different climatronics for W211 that even with my good memory I've got lost in options.
So you are interested in 2-zone climatronic with no REST button? The original I keep from my 2007 model is having digital display and looking at angle you can see REST on the back of the display, but with no REST button there is no way to activate it.
Stuttgarten reported that in some condition with the same climatronic - his REST lighted up and knowing how MB likes to play with technology without notifying the owners I can believe that in certain conditions computer might force the option, but good luck figuring out the program.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:20 AM

1991 190E 2.3
I have seen so many different climatronics for W211 that even with my good memory I've got lost in options.
So you are interested in 2-zone climatronic with no REST button? The original I keep from my 2007 model is having digital display and looking at angle you can see REST on the back of the display, but with no REST button there is no way to activate it.
Stuttgarten reported that in some condition with the same climatronic - his REST lighted up and knowing how MB likes to play with technology without notifying the owners I can believe that in certain conditions computer might force the option, but good luck figuring out the program.
Interested in a 2 Zone with Rest which per my last post i think my safest bet is A2118302390.... I think. I would hope my transitive property idea would confirm it to work and I would swap the buttons from my current Climate Control. Although I wonder if the parts are interchangeable from a digital display climate control to a analog climate control.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

. Although I wonder if the parts are interchangeable from a digital display climate control to a analog climate control.
Changing from 2-zone to 4-zone climatronic was P&P, so good chances are all of them are interchangable. As mentioned - deep scan will show the climatronic as not paired, or whatever, but you just ignore it.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:12 AM
Banned

OOOOOOOO This looks interesting. So with this in mind, is it possible to switch the knobs between units with relative ease? I am debating about the whole idea of the Rest button still since I put a remote starter in my car today. Easiest remote starter i have done in my life.

@kajtek1 I may be interested in that 2 Zone Climate Control that you have

NINJA EDIT:

After rereading what kajtek1 said I decided to look at ebay canada to see if I could find a 2 Zone climate control with the rest button. Sure enough i was able to find one albeit in Celsius but the model number is different. The first one I found had model # 2118302290 the one i just found searching eBay Canada was 2118302390. I was going over the pictures of the two and noticed that the HW and SW #s are different as well. Is there any sort of information that helps to better interpret these numbers and what they mean?

Going out on a limb here and using the transitive property. Based off of @Drag0na5h 's post he went from a 2118301485 with HW 1504 and SW 2604 to a 2118302490 with HW 0806 and SW 0807. A 2 Zone Climate Control with rest A2118302390 has the same HW and SW #s at the unit that Drag0na5h went to. So I would think that the is the one without a Rest button worked then so would the one with a Rest button since maybe the HW and SW #s match. As you can see i am trying to ensure if i take this endeavor on I am not stuck with something unusable.
Send me a PM with the specific part number you would like. I have a ton of used parts here too and I might have what you need.

Yes the dials can be swapped out if necessary. I have a set of dials in F here and would sell them to you.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2005 E320
Just want to say thanks to everyone who has posted here. I recently did the swap from the manual (pre-facelift) 2-zone climate control to the 4-zone digital climatronic controls, front and rear. Everything was plug and play and I couldn't be happier! Also one thing that I did notice is that the car seems to regulate the temperature better than before. I did not change any ducts or anything or add the B pillar vents, just added the front and rear digital controls. I wonder why this is? Anyway here are some pics!

The following users liked this post:
OnlyGerman (04-14-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 09:11 AM
Banned

Both control units use the sensors you have which are two. One temp sensor next to the ignition switch and one in the overhead control panel.

You really feel a difference if you retrofit all sensors that are installed with a 4-zone system.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:05 AM

2005 E320
Mackhack, what would be involved with retrofitting the rest of the sensors? And would it make a difference even if I don't swap the ducts in the dash? Thanks!
Old 01-30-2020, 10:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by charlesb2003
Mackhack, what would be involved with retrofitting the rest of the sensors? And would it make a difference even if I don't swap the ducts in the dash? Thanks!
New cable harness, new climate box (requires disassembling of the dash board), sun sensor, multi function sensor, duct through front doors, new B Pilar panel, coding. Durable in a day. Chinese video on YouTube shows the entire procedure in 6 minutes.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rear unit sure looks better even if it is not controlling anything.
But beware about experience I had on 4-zone. Driving on 110F desert I hear my AC struggling to keep cabin comfortable.
But it wasn't till we pulled over till I hear all fans on high, what wasn't normal for the car.
Finally start checking around to find that our small dog who likes to "pilot" the car standing in the rear with his front legs on central console - adjusted the rear to 87 F.
So the front AC was struggling against rear heat.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211
Climate

Originally Posted by charlesb2003
Just want to say thanks to everyone who has posted here. I recently did the swap from the manual (pre-facelift) 2-zone climate control to the 4-zone digital climatronic controls, front and rear. Everything was plug and play and I couldn't be happier! Also one thing that I did notice is that the car seems to regulate the temperature better than before. I did not change any ducts or anything or add the B pillar vents, just added the front and rear digital controls. I wonder why this is? Anyway here are some pics!

hi charles

this looks amazing. Just to confirm. It was plug and play? I did the dashboard conversion and have the ac light blinking. Will changing the rear vent controls get the ac system working? Also after looking at the 2 zone rear center controls, there are 2 cables. The current control (single zone/non digital) only has one cable. What did you do w the other cable?
The following users liked this post:
OnlyGerman (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 02:01 PM

2005 E320
Hi Vic!

Thanks, I'm very satisfied with how it turned out. Yes, everything was plug and play for me. From what I've read the issue you are having should be able to be fixed by holding down a certain combination of buttons on the climate control unit. Search the forums a bit and you should find it.

For the rear controls, there is an extra bit of wiring harness that's required to get it to work. Your car currently just has one cable running to the rear vents, that's for the illumination of the open/close dials on the vents. The digital one has that same wire, as well as the wiring harness for the digital climate controls. If you pull the false floor out of the lower center console compartment you should see a loose connector. You'll need to acquire the bit of wiring harness that goes from that connector to the connector on the rear digital climate controls. I got mine from a car at the junkyard, which is actually how I got the idea to do this. I have no idea what the part number is, but if you find one at the junkyard you should be able to find the wire no problem.
Old 04-30-2020, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 131 Posts
Too many german broads
Glad to see this thread is still going strong and many have tried the swap! Wow, I miss my W211

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Conversion- Digital Ac Control Unit