Home Link (Revisited)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Home Link (Revisited)

Trying to get the homelink to work with my Genie GD Opener. It is a rolling code. I had the same problem with the pre-nav car.
I remember trying and trying and then it finally took. I did post something then...maybe someone told me what I was doing wrong..if so I can't remember.

Heres what I am doing:

Push the "learn" button on the opener (it blinks)
Hurry and push the link button in the car
Push the link button again.

The GD opener learn light blinks rapidly..Genie manual says rapid blinking indicates the program did not take. I have tried about 20 times...no luck

Anyone see anything I am doing wrong.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of the above
etenn,

After you push the "learn" button on the opener you need to hold down the button on your remote and the button in the car at the same time.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:17 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I don't have my E500 yet, but I have done this with my Honda. I remember having all kinds of problems getting this to work, but at the end, it was easy as long as you remove any previous programming in the car, and then try. Don't know if that will work, but give it a try.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Re: etenn,

Originally posted by CME4BENZ
After you push the "learn" button on the opener you need to hold down the button on your remote and the button in the car at the same time.
That is the procedure for the standard opener...I have the "rolling code" opener. The manual gives a different procedure than the one you posted.

I had the same problem on my pre-nav. Somehow I got that one programmed.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Re: etenn,

Originally posted by etenn
That is the procedure for the standard opener...I have the "rolling code" opener. The manual gives a different procedure than the one you posted.

i also had problems with my pre-nav car, but isnt there a training button on the garage opener unit, i remember pressing that or something, and then it worked perfectly, also, did you just leave all of the memory on the homelink system when you returned your car? thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 04:26 PM

Re: Re: etenn,

Originally posted by etenn

etenn,

CME is right, you first have to use the standard programming method with your remote, then use the learn button followed by pressing the button in your car twice. I also have rolling code openers.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Re: Re: Re: etenn,

Originally posted by Shibbel
etenn,

CME is right, you first have to use the standard programming method with your remote, then use the learn button followed by pressing the button in your car twice. I also have rolling code openers.
I will go try it. Maybe that was what someone told me before
Old 08-14-2003, 04:42 PM

All of the above
one more

It is a pain. But it should work.

Someone mentioned clearing out the codes in the homelink. I skipped that.
First push in the outer 2 buttons on the mirror untill the little light next to the buttons starts flashing quickly. This clears any pre-existing codes. Then push the "learn" button, then (within 30 seconds) push both the remote and the button on the mirror at the same time. The light should blink slow and then speed up telling you that it has taken the signal.

If that doesn't work call your salesperson. I have gone to a customers house more than once to help them set it up. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
It worked. I left out the first step with the existing remote. I remember now that I did the same thing with the first one and asked on a thread...someone straightened me out that time too.

One other thing ... the key had to be turned on.

Thanks guys.