E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 Clock and trip computer not working since Battery change

Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 Clock and trip computer not working since Battery change

Hi chaps

I have swapped out both batteries on my W211 Merc after getting the Convenience functions temporarily disabled after a cold winter on cold starts - those problems have since cleared

However since doing the battery changeover - the analogue clock on the dash has frozen to the time I disconnected the batteries - and the trip computer (the one next to the KM/H static readout) - always resets back to 25.5 miles when I come back to the car. If I start a journey and reset the trip computer using the button - it reads 0.0 but does not go up at all during the journey..... and will always reset back to 25.5 after locking up and coming back

Somethings obviously gone a bit crazy - the COMAND Time is set correctly and GPS is picking up the time and the date. Disconnecting both batteries for an hour and resetting does the same - analogue clock still frozen and trip back to 25.5miles

Anyone have any ideas? On my instrument cluster theres no option for Time sync or anything like that as per other posts I've seen.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM

What's also quite worrying is that whilst testing stuff out - my front cigar lighter no longer lights up or works. I've checked fuse 54 in the engine bay and its fine - tested with a multimeter

Panicking now that I've got a shagged front SAM unit or something. Everything was fine before the battery change.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 PM

The cigar lighter issue was unrelated - the actual unit itself is broken and has come away from the ceramic at the back. New part is coming tomorrow. I also managed to trip over with the entire ashtray assembly on the way back into the house - springs and coils everywhere. However managed to find everything and put it back together which I'm quite proud of - should have written a guide as it took ages!!

In other news - my issues still exist - time is frozen and the trip computer still reads 0.0 or 25.5 after another battery reset. There is another problem too - the actual ODOMETER is frozen. My mileage does not go up during driving. The trip computer that gives you MPG after reset / after start works correctly though....?!!?!?!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
What is your VIN??
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM

Hi Plutoe - thanks very much for replying.

As requested - my VIN is WDB2110262A554601

Cheers

Richie
Old 02-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
After looking at your (before MY06) battery control system, you may not want to thank me.

The very first thing that is suggested is a DAS Xentry quick test of all modules especially the Instrument cluster, battery control and rear SAM module for faults.

That said there is a long list of tests and special equipment to carry out specific tests once DAS finds a fault.

The bad news is that I doubt you will be able to DIY this.

You need and indy with a current copy of DAS Xentry to find and fix the fault, however make sure you have done your part and checked all the front, side and rear fuses.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:58 PM

Crazy for just a battery change

It's going into the dealer for an A service next week and they have been informed of the issue and will plug it into DAS to see what they can find. The Assyst+ data is also frozen - the mileage isnt counting down on the days remaining

I would hope it's not the SAM modules or anything of that given that the only fault is the Odometer being static and the clock being stuck.

Cheers for your advice - I'll be sure to let everyone know what the outcome is.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM

Just as a further insight to let people know the progress so far

It's going into the dealer on Tuesday for an A Service and they will look into the issue as they agree that a battery replacement on an 8 year old vehicle shouldn't require the assistance of a dealer

The fault looks to be confined to the central gateway - the COMAND diagnostics menu is also reporting the same static mileage as the dashboard (but in Kilometers) - and also pulling the fuse for the central gateway and putting it back in causes the trip computer to reset to 25.5 miles again.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 PM

Ok well the main dealer managed to sort the odometer and trip computer free of charge by resetting the CAN buses apparently. However the clock is still frozen and the car didn't keep a record of the miles I did.