E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need advice on first E500 purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge Magnum SRT
Need advice on first E500 purchase

Greetings all...brand new to the forums and will read up. Im going to look at 2 E500s tommorow, both 2003s....a bit leary because I have read some less than glowing reviews regarding costly repairs .Both are less than 80k mile cars. One has pano roof. What do I need to know and are these cars money pits. Is it true most of the repairs can only be made at MB dealers. Are there any problem areas I need to look out for on my test drive/inspection? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:56 AM

03c320
I think you should have your mechanic take a look at it and a test drive first bro ..

Last edited by Ulysc320; 02-19-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: O an do be prepaid to spend some $$ on mods bumpers rims headlights the upgrades come expensive so yeah have fun man
Old 02-19-2013, 03:00 AM

Dodge Magnum SRT
Originally Posted by Ulysc320
I think you should have your mechanic take a look at it and a test drive first bro ..
I wouldnt buy one without doing both....just looking for the general consensus about the reliabilty and cost of ownership....owned a ton of cars but this is the first MB

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 AM

03c320
Well iv had my c320 over 2 years and I honestly have not had any extreme problems.. But iv heard its expensive if you take your benz to the dealer to have it checked out just for a chek up its $150 I BELIVE and just a quick one ..
Old 02-19-2013, 03:11 AM

03c320
Parts are expensive too for say if you want bumpers, headlights, lil details cost $$
Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 AM

2006 E500
My advice would be to stay away from a 2003 E500. Potential money pit.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
>Stay away from the earlier model year W211s, reason being they have had some issues with costly repairs related to some mechanical infidelities.

>No, I have all of my repair work done at an independent shop that services only Mercedes-Benz cars that has been around for 20+ years. Super clean shop and they cost 10x less for repairs and diagnostics than the dealer. However, I do my regular service schedule at the dealer due to the perks of free road side assistance if maintained at a dealer etc...

>Go for a facelift W211 if it is in your price range, meaning a 2007 or newer E-Class (both the E350 and E550 have been reliable minus some balance shaft issues on the 350)

>Mercedes maintenance is more expensive than the average car but less often, parts (with any German vehicle) can get very costly but if you find lifetime warranty parts and know where to get them (IE AirMatic suspension parts from Arnott) you will save yourself a lot of time and money.

Buy a mechanically healthy car with as few miles as possible. Even though the 2003s will be cheaper now, you will end up spending more money in the long run if you don't decide to put the extra effort in now to finding a clean car.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM

Dodge Magnum SRT
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
>Stay away from the earlier model year W211s, reason being they have had some issues with costly repairs related to some mechanical infidelities.

>No, I have all of my repair work done at an independent shop that services only Mercedes-Benz cars that has been around for 20+ years. Super clean shop and they cost 10x less for repairs and diagnostics than the dealer. However, I do my regular service schedule at the dealer due to the perks of free road side assistance if maintained at a dealer etc...

>Go for a facelift W211 if it is in your price range, meaning a 2007 or newer E-Class (both the E350 and E550 have been reliable minus some balance shaft issues on the 350)

>Mercedes maintenance is more expensive than the average car but less often, parts (with any German vehicle) can get very costly but if you find lifetime warranty parts and know where to get them (IE AirMatic suspension parts from Arnott) you will save yourself a lot of time and money.

Buy a mechanically healthy car with as few miles as possible. Even though the 2003s will be cheaper now, you will end up spending more money in the long run if you don't decide to put the extra effort in now to finding a clean car.
Thanks to all for the input, Well i probably shouldnt have but I found an immaculate 2003 E500 with only 78k and a recent SBC replacement for $9K and bought it today. Only issues is that it is missing the small square piece on the right side rear bumper (what is that piece called) and the wheels hace slight curb rash but im ordering wheels tommorow. I have to say I love the way the car drives. One question I have is iqf I change to aftermarket wheels are there any wheel sensors the the stock wheels that need to be carried over?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 AM

2005 c55 AMG, 2006 Kleemann E50 K, 1997 Acura-CL Custom
Originally Posted by AutoHaulersINC
Thanks to all for the input, Well i probably shouldnt have but I found an immaculate 2003 E500 with only 78k and a recent SBC replacement for $9K and bought it today. Only issues is that it is missing the small square piece on the right side rear bumper (what is that piece called) and the wheels hace slight curb rash but im ordering wheels tommorow. I have to say I love the way the car drives. One question I have is iqf I change to aftermarket wheels are there any wheel sensors the the stock wheels that need to be carried over?

First of all Congrats! The square piece is for transport (tie down). If your car is equipped with TPMS then you need to specify that when ordering rims. I don't have TPMS because I have the Kleemann ridiculously HUGE brakes.. As long as you stay with 19" or smaller rims you should be fine.

Pay attention to your vehicle and the usual w211 issues (Air Ride, Gas Tank leak etc. ) and set aside fund for the car.Change the Engine and Tranny oils and filters..be sure to use Mobil1 full synthetic and the Mobil1 filter for the motor and mercedes approved tranny fluid.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 AM

Dodge Magnum SRT
Originally Posted by kompression
Quote:

Originally Posted by AutoHaulersINC

First of all Congrats! The square piece is for transport (tie down). If your car is equipped with TPMS then you need to specify that when ordering rims. I don't have TPMS because I have the Kleemann ridiculously HUGE brakes.. As long as you stay with 19" or smaller rims you should be fine.

Pay attention to your vehicle and the usual w211 issues (Air Ride, Gas Tank leak etc. ) and set aside fund for the car.Change the Engine and Tranny oils and filters..be sure to use Mobil1 full synthetic and the Mobil1 filter for the motor and mercedes approved tranny fluid.
How would I know if I have the tmps

Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 v8, 2013 GMC Denali XL, 1965 Ford Mustang, 2005 Merc. E500
Keep in mind the airmatic porblems and cost. Make sure the SBC unit, if it ahs the system, has been replaced with new one in the last year or so.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 AM

Dodge Magnum SRT
Originally Posted by homeofstone
Keep in mind the airmatic porblems and cost. Make sure the SBC unit, if it ahs the system, has been replaced with new one in the last year or so.
SBC has been replaced by dealer and I have reciept, illhave to read up on the airmatic problems...
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Congrats on the E500! If it's as clean as you describe, I doubt it will have many issues - they are hit and miss so there's no guarantee either way. Let me know when you want me to ship you those lowering links, they should work fine on this car.

If the SBC unit has been replaced, then that's one major issue of the early W211s out of the way. The major problem with AirMatic that they are talking about applies to all E500s/E550s manufactured. It isn't so much of a "problem" but more of a wear-issue where the air springs will eventually leak and fail after 100,000 miles or so. Feasibly any car that has shocks will need them to be replaced at one point or another.

Some people experience this issue as gradual leakage, or some come out to find their cars sitting on the ground the next morning due to failed and deflated air springs.

The solution is fairly "cheap" and easy to fix if you know what you're doing, meaning don't replace the springs with OEM Mercedes parts at the dealer. Get Arnott industries air springs that are around $700 for the rear pair and $1500 per front shock with a few hundred in installation. Versus $3000/shock at the dealer with labor. Best part is they have lifetime warranty from Arnott so if they ever fail you can get a new unit for free. The other option is to convert to coil-overs which a few members have done but then you lose all the benefits of air suspension including the auto-leveling, ride-height adjustment, different driving modes, smooth ride, etc.

Step one of maintaining your E-Class is finding a good independent Mercedes shop in your area, I live in Colorado and go to StarTech Mercedes Service in Denver. Super clean and knowledgeable shop. As I had said I do my regular service at the dealer and do repairs and such at the indy shop.

As for changing over the wheels, any reputable tire/wheel shop from Discount to Big O will carry over and rebuild the sensors for cheap, the labor on that was $17 per wheel when I had mine done.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 02-20-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Dodge Magnum SRT
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Congrats on the E500! If it's as clean as you describe, I doubt it will have many issues - they are hit and miss so there's no guarantee either way. Let me know when you want me to ship you those lowering links, they should work fine on this car.

If the SBC unit has been replaced, then that's one major issue of the early W211s out of the way. The major problem with AirMatic that they are talking about applies to all E500s/E550s manufactured. It isn't so much of a "problem" but more of a wear-issue where the air springs will eventually leak and fail after 100,000 miles or so. Feasibly any car that has shocks will need them to be replaced at one point or another.

Some people experience this issue as gradual leakage, or some come out to find their cars sitting on the ground the next morning due to failed and deflated air springs.

The solution is fairly "cheap" and easy to fix if you know what you're doing, meaning don't replace the springs with OEM Mercedes parts at the dealer. Get Arnott industries air springs that are around $700 for the rear pair and $1500 per front shock with a few hundred in installation. Versus $3000/shock at the dealer with labor. Best part is they have lifetime warranty from Arnott so if they ever fail you can get a new unit for free. The other option is to convert to coil-overs which a few members have done but then you lose all the benefits of air suspension including the auto-leveling, ride-height adjustment, different driving modes, smooth ride, etc.

Step one of maintaining your E-Class is finding a good independent Mercedes shop in your area, I live in Colorado and go to StarTech Mercedes Service in Denver. Super clean and knowledgeable shop. As I had said I do my regular service at the dealer and do repairs and such at the indy shop.

As for changing over the wheels, any reputable tire/wheel shop from Discount to Big O will carry over and rebuild the sensors for cheap, the labor on that was $17 per wheel when I had mine done.
GREAT advice AMG and thank you. Im going to look into the lowering part and see if it is something im going to do to the car..I think you mentioned manufacturer and ill see if the is an online manual so I can get an idea of what the job entails...again, thanks for the great info...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Sure man! Anytime. If not, a local shop should install links for you for about an hour or two of labor cost. Here is the manufacturer: http://www.advanceperformance.com/