E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

any ideas on 2003 W211 E500 exhaust options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500
any ideas on 2003 W211 E500 exhaust options?

Im wondering how many other people are like me, If there are any exhaust options to bring out my V8`s depth and tone? I know this car was intended to have everything quiet and luxurious but I wanna hear why im getting not so great gas mileage..lol

What options do I have in replacing my stock exhaust that will not mess up the temperamental MB systems..??

Thanks guys!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Muffler delete. Cheapest option out of any halfway decent exhaust modification, and all drone will be eliminated when you fabricate a j-pipe. It's fairly docile (maybe a bit deeper) at idle and cruise but when you lay into it, it sounds very deep. Nice thing is you get an exotic popping when you let off the gas at high RPMs but it definitely sounds like a German Mercedes V8, not a muscle car. Your other options are secondary cat delete or resonator delete, may get you more sound but you'll end up spending more if you do an x-pipe and lose some lower end power. You could also invest in something like an Eisenmann exhaust but if you're driving a W211 at this point, doesn't make sense to invest thousands in exhaust mods when a muffler delete will do just fine and keep a refined sound.

Check out my thread https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...althrough.html excuse the ticking in the video, that was a bad coil at the time.

EDIT: To add, I didn't notice any loss of low-end power as there is still sufficient backpressure for this naturally aspirated engine, and it won't mess anything up - there are no sensors or electronics associated with the mufflers. They're simply a quite heavy hunk of metal hanging there.

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 06-03-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 AM

2003 E500
so you took this to a muffler place nearby where you live? And also it looks like your car came with dual exhaust, Mine only has one coming out of the back which sucks.. how would that effect this project?

Last edited by HUDS_E500; 06-03-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Yeah I tool this to Intermountain Muffler here in Colorado, but any exhaust shop should work. I was under the impression that the E500 had dual exhaust so if you could post a picture of what the setup under the car looks like I should be able to answer your question more effectively, but bottom line is it shouldn't affect this project at all. A muffler delete works the same way no matter the number of mufflers or resulting tips.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:49 PM

2003 E500
Whoops.. there are 2.. lol.. You gotta really get up under it to see both of them.. Now seeing these im wondering if these can be gutted or if they can be replaced for a more resonant or high performance muffler just to keep the stock appearance?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500 sport (sold), 2009 GL450, w213 E63 (waiting for ordering guide)
I have an 03' e500 sport with the same mufflers hiding underneath the bumper.. I removed my resonator, still don't have that exhaust note that I want. my friend removed the resonator and muffler on his ml500 that has the same m113 v8 that we do, sounds absolutely amazing but he has drone noise in the inside. Just two question I have and I hope someone can answer... one: how do you remove the drone noise; what is a j pipe and two: when you remove the mufflers and resonators, will it cause any mechanical problems and will something fail eventually? that's about 3 questions but anyway, id really appreciate some kind of help from you intelligent fellow e500 owners, cheers
Old 06-03-2013, 09:40 PM

2003 E500
Im just thinking about cutting out the stock muffler and replacing it with one along the lines of this and calling it a day...http://www.myhotmercedes.com/Mercede...ual_Tip/533189
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
@JaspinP A resonator delete will - in my opinion - rarely get you the tone you want. A secondary cat delete will be raspy from what I've heard in person. The drone noise is a result of complex frequency issues in regards to the harmonics of the exhaust pulses. The way to remove this noise for the most part and make the noise inside the cabin more docile is to create a J-Pipe. A J-pipe is a Helmholtz resonator that you can use once you do a muffler delete. When you do a muffler delete you straight pipe the section where the muffler used to be and then cut a hole in the pipe, attaching a ~28-30 inch piece of pipe that is blocked off at one end. It doesn't vent any exhaust gasses and is closed off, but it acts as a noise canceler for the droning frequencies. You will still get some drone, but nothing that bad and it actually sounds very nice inside the cabin as 90% of the uncomfortable noise will be cancelled by the exhaust pulses. Resonator, secondary cat delete, and muffler delete are very basic modifications that will NOT reduce reliability or cause mechanical issues. Anything cat-back is really not electronically monitored and is fairly dumb in the grand scheme of things, so it shouldn't cause any issues unless you really mess something up in the install.

@Huds_E500 You could definitely do that and get that muffler but be warned of three things. First off, that isn't a very trustworthy brand from what I've been reading so spend some more to get a good muffler if you want to keep the stock look. Second, it will not be much louder. Third, with tips such as those you have to modify the rear bumper as without the sport package, the E500 has the hidden exhaust tips so there is no way to have those exhaust tips running to the back properly unless you change the bumper out or cut a section out and fit an E55 style diffuser. Unless you are under the car, you won't be able to see anything if you do a J-pipe though simple as that.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM

2003 E500
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
@Huds_E500 You could definitely do that and get that muffler but be warned of three things. First off, that isn't a very trustworthy brand from what I've been reading so spend some more to get a good muffler if you want to keep the stock look. Second, it will not be much louder. Third, with tips such as those you have to modify the rear bumper as without the sport package, the E500 has the hidden exhaust tips so there is no way to have those exhaust tips running to the back properly unless you change the bumper out or cut a section out and fit an E55 style diffuser. Unless you are under the car, you won't be able to see anything if you do a J-pipe though simple as that.

Yeah I thought about the brand and bumper issues since there are no scallops or cut outs.. I think I may try to find something that will fit in the recess the original fits in but just put a tip on it something similar to how it is now nothing fancy nothing seen. maybe this? http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=11060 I just want a growl, nothing like straight pipes off headers just louder than stock.

And thanks for your reply.. so many people on here are asses and I appreciate your help.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 PM

@JaspinP A resonator delete will - in my opinion - rarely get you the tone you want. A secondary cat delete will be raspy from what I've heard in person. The drone noise is a result of complex frequency issues in regards to the harmonics of the exhaust pulses. The way to remove this noise for the most part and make the noise inside the cabin more docile is to create a J-Pipe. A J-pipe is a Helmholtz resonator that you can use once you do a muffler delete. When you do a muffler delete you straight pipe the section where the muffler used to be and then cut a hole in the pipe, attaching a ~28-30 inch piece of pipe that is blocked off at one end. It doesn't vent any exhaust gasses and is closed off, but it acts as a noise canceler for the droning frequencies. You will still get some drone, but nothing that bad and it actually sounds very nice inside the cabin as 90% of the uncomfortable noise will be cancelled by the exhaust pulses. Resonator, secondary cat delete, and muffler delete are very basic modifications that will NOT reduce reliability or cause mechanical issues. Anything cat-back is really not electronically monitored and is fairly dumb in the grand scheme of things, so it shouldn't cause any issues unless you really mess something up in the install.

Very well explained and well put, completely understand what you mean now. Thanks for taking the time to reply with detail. I am definitely doing this by the weekend hopefully and cant wait to hear my baby purring loudly, Now that I know that it really doesn't do anything to the car mechanically (as I assumed since everything is after the cats and wont bother the O2 sensors). How about power/torque loss ? I read somewhere about loss of backpressure or something... I don't know if this relates to the M113's or no? you seem like you know way more than I do. I just don't want to do anything wrong I love the car so much, its not normal.. anyway, cheers and thank you again the information is great
Old 06-04-2013, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by HUDS_E500
Yeah I thought about the brand and bumper issues since there are no scallops or cut outs.. I think I may try to find something that will fit in the recess the original fits in but just put a tip on it something similar to how it is now nothing fancy nothing seen. maybe this? http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=11060 I just want a growl, nothing like straight pipes off headers just louder than stock.

And thanks for your reply.. so many people on here are asses and I appreciate your help.
I agree, and this guy is the man - very helpful. good luck and keep posted with what you do if you don't mind. I'm curious of the outcome of whatever it is, its good for reference.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Awww thanks you two. I'm still learning about the W211 and I am definitely nowhere near the level of knowledge of some of the senior members here but this is something I researched quite a bit as I've done it myself, so it feels good to be able to help. I wouldn't say a lot of people on here are asses, but there are a few that are less receptive to new ideas or modification than others. Oh well we're all entitled to our opinions, that's what a forum is all about - it just depends how you voice that opinion. The big thing that people get caught up on here is searching the forum first to get repeat questions answered but I realize that's not always easy or consistent.

Jasin, you are correct. The primary cat has O2 sensors and I don't believe the secondaries do. Mufflers do not and resonators do not have any type of sensor I'm sure of that. Most of it is not monitored after that point and for good reason, the M113 and M272/M273 especially are fairly clean burning engines for being MPFI so I know several people that run without cats and pass emissions here (at least in Colorado). That was one of the first things I was asked, if modifying the mufflers give me any loss of low end torque due to less back pressure. There might be some, but not noticeable at all as I've read it is with a secondary cat delete or resonator delete. The mufflers are far back enough in the system that I don't think it really makes a difference, plus they are heavier than you think so eliminating that weight helps too. That goes for your aftermarket mufflers too HUD, shouldn't be a problem with airflow unless they are drastically different in pipe diameter. I would think the same thing applies to the M113 for the most part as it is a naturally aspirated V8 and the exhaust setup is very similar. Keep in mind though I am at 6000ft above sea level so I already drive about 25% less of a car than the E550 is at sea level. Not sure how that affects my perceptions of backpressure loss (if there is any)

Last edited by AMGAffalterbach; 06-05-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Anyone consider dynomax VT mufflers. They have a butterfly valve that keeps them quiet at idle and normal cruising, but open up when you get on it.

Youtube clips of this muffler sound good. No drone also.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...A5366A0A0.aspx
Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 PM

2003 E500
Hey AMGAffalterbach, Is the only thing you did was remove the mufflers and the j pipe deal? No resonator delete or anything further?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Yes sir! Only muffler delete and J-pipe. It would sound the same with just a muffler delete but the drone would be worse in the cabin without the helmholtz resonator.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 PM

2003 E500
Now im wondering how much different the sound would be on you car and mine.. lol.. trying to figure out a baseline with no mufflers on how it would stand before adding anything..
Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Well I think the E500 and E550 exhaust setup is very similar, also important to note that the M273 is a direct successor to the M113 and basically an evolution of that engine so I doubt it would be too different.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 PM

2003 E500
That is what i was thinking and theyre only a few years apart.. I think if i get a couple single baffle mufflers maybe single in into dual out it oughta get some growl to it..
Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 PM

2003 E500
Is your exhaust 2.5 or 3? I think by glancing at mine it looked like a 2.5"..
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Anything is better than the stock setup, much to quiet. As long as you can keep it refined but louder you will be happy with it I'm sure of it. Best thing about dealing with components this far back in the exhaust system and not a complete header-back setup is that it's relatively cheap to experiment and change things around if you aren't totally happy!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
I believe the stock is 2.5 I could be wrong though, fairly certain they are the same from looking at your pictures.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:03 PM

2003 E500
Anything is better than the stock setup, much to quiet. As long as you can keep it refined but louder you will be happy with it I'm sure of it. Best thing about dealing with components this far back in the exhaust system and not a complete header-back setup is that it's relatively cheap to experiment and change things around if you aren't totally happy!
And there is always ebay.. lol I just gotta do some measuring and see what will fit where the OE muffler fits, Basically run it the same way facing down wont be able to see it. Wish I could find the dimensions for the OE muffler..
Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Be careful with eBay though... I've had my fair share of bad experiences especially when it comes to Mercedes parts. Always weld don't do muffler work with clamps or bolt-on configs as if it's from eBay it'll likely fall off. There are some good parts on there but they are few and far between.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:51 PM

2003 E500
The exhaust is 2.25 if im looking at it correctly and the OE muffler is around 17" long and close to 10x10 in diameter..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: any ideas on 2003 W211 E500 exhaust options?