E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
Old 06-12-2015, 06:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

W211/W219 Aftermarket navigation system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 350 W219
W211/W219 Aftermarket navigation system

Hi, I've been looking for the past month for a "good" plug and play aftermarket navigation, replacing the original Audio 50 Aps, I almost bought a Dynavin, but I was told not to by a close friend, who has suffered from their customers support and I found a web site dedicated to expose them as being unreliable. After many hours of searching and a shy budget (up to 1000$). I found this one http://www.seicane.com/android-7-inc...3#.UfQF_Y0wfX4
The customer support is pretty good they answered every question, I've asked them and they they offer also a cable going to the boot replacing the original fiber optic ones, so I'm a step away from purchasing it, together with a Sd card with a map, DVB-T tuner and a rear view camera.
Has anyone had any experience with this company or their products? Is there a reason not to buy their Nav. system ?
It is by far the best what I found on the market for this amount of money - offering a 4.0 Android + wi-fi+3G internet and a pretty good processor.

If no one can tell me anything against them or recommend me a better system in 2 days I will purchase this one and I will share my impression when I got it installed.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
"I will share my impression when I got it installed."---I am waiting with baited breath!!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
I honestly have very limited experience with aftermarket units as I'm still OEM, it's always a gamble but I would go with this and do a review video much like the gentleman in the other thread with his unity. It looks like a decent quality unit the part that intrigues me is the awesome Andriod OS, it looks tempting.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 AM

2005 E-240
Hi
before you purchase see this product
its the same thing you posted with android ,,,
but at cheaper price i bought 1 of these before like 3 years ago for another car (Tiburon) and it works amazing and still performing great touch and sound nice fitting.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/70...layer_for.html
you can also find tons of other in this website
why to waste 600$ when you can get under 450
This is another company see there video and its fast head unit with interior console light match
http://www.cars-electronics.com/doub...rol_p1329.html
hope you find the best.

Last edited by moazzam617; 07-28-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: adding more info
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 AM

CLS 350 W219
Hi, thanks for the info, it is a bit late, because I bought the Dvd/nav this morning. As for the two navs. I've seen the first one, but it is with android 2.3 which is not enough for my needs ( I would like to install, some new applications - like the Bluetooth OBD reader ), the second one is not with android, but otherwise looks pretty good for its value. The whole deal cost me 799$ + delivery (I'm not sure yet if, I need to pay any customs tax) and the delivery will take approx. 2 weeks. I will take pictures during the installation and post comments about the unit's performance.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM

2005 E-240
that would be great
do take pictures during the installation or make a video for us
thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Originally Posted by Elrond
Hi, thanks for the info, it is a bit late, because I bought the Dvd/nav this morning. As for the two navs. I've seen the first one, but it is with android 2.3 which is not enough for my needs ( I would like to install, some new applications - like the Bluetooth OBD reader ), the second one is not with android, but otherwise looks pretty good for its value. The whole deal cost me 799$ + delivery (I'm not sure yet if, I need to pay any customs tax) and the delivery will take approx. 2 weeks. I will take pictures during the installation and post comments about the unit's performance.
The thing with the android is that it neeeds a constant internet connection to work properly, so you need to tether your android based phone to get it to work right. I put one of these units in my BMW. The windows based unit works well enough & it much cheaper.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
I wouldn't regret buying it, I think it is a good quality unit from what I could tell.

@moazzam617 they spell "Seven" as "Sevent" on that unit you posted, it's classic Chinese quality. And from what I've read, while the UI is okay don't expect it to last long. I think you made the right decision OP.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:22 PM

E350 Wagon and CLK430
Any Updates On how it turned out? Very interested. Its either This, Dynavin or attempting the NTG2.5 upgrade..
Old 09-20-2013, 05:08 PM

CLS 350 W219
Hi guys

Sorry for the late reply, but as I found it is not easy to clear customs, with the device, because for tax reasons, the Chinese, put an invoice that the unit costs 100$, but the customs officer requires the paypal invoice, which was for 799$, so at the end I gave up and hired an customs agent and she fixed everything in a day for 50$- which was a WIN. FYI- I'm from Europe, so I'm not sure how it will work in USA.

So few days ago, I got it in my hands - it really doesn't looks cheap at all, the quality of the plastic is much better than I've seen previously on aftermarket navigations.

It cones in a box with everything and it is very well labeled in English.

It is a bit shocking how many cable and adapters it comes with, but most of them aren't necessary for the installation (FYI - it is very important. when you are ordering the unit, to mention, with which head unit you are)
- if you are with the basic audio unit - only CD- it is easy busy
- if you are with Command of audio 50 - you need the 6m. cable harness (it comes for free with the unit when, you mention that your car is with the fiber optic system)
Important - if you are with HK or BOSE - audio system, probably such replacement is is not the best idea, because you factory amplifier won't work with the new head unit and you have to install a new amplifier, if you are with Logic 7 - don't bother at all.

This installation requires, the removal of the trunk left cover, rear seats, and quite a few interior panels (I have photos, which I will post when I finish with the installation).
I didn't felt comfortable removing the interior panels ( my car is a CLS and there are few minor differences in the interior to the E - class, but as el. system they are the same). So I hired a car audio technician, to do it for me. If you aren't experienced with removing interior elements, I strongly advice you to seek professional assistance.

When took half the car apart we noticed, that the power cable, which is a part of the 6m. harness which replaces the optic fiber cables is way too short (only 50cm.) so we had to stop and tomorrow we will continue, when the technician gets a new longer cable ( the head unit takes it supply from the trunk).

I've connected the unit in the trunk, just to check that it works and it does, it is really fast compared to its dynavin rivals. I haven't checked any of the functions yet, so keep an eye of the forum in the next few days, there will be a full review with some pictures and installations advises.

Hi guys,
The sytem is in and it works.
it fits quite well and it looks like factory made. The quality is good and the resolution of the unit is OK.
As per the main function - navigation, the map which came with the car is I GO primo and it is pretty good, I uploaded an add on with all speed cameras and it works. On the minus side it takes awhile to find a GPS reception ( I installed the new antenna on the windscreen) when there are tall buildings around, but in the open areas it finds reception within 2 minutes).
The rear view camera is really good it is 3.6V instead of the usual 12V and there is much less disturbance than, most cheap Chinese cameras.
The Ipod function works well - you can fully control the Ipod from the touch screen menu, but I haven't tried to play video from it.
The USB media works fine, DVD works fine and with pretty good picture quality, there are to mini sd card slots one for the navigation maps and software and one for media. The unit comes with 2 USB outputs and one Ipod, I use one of the USB outputs for the wi-fi adapter (which I constantly feed with internet from my mobile phone), the other way to have Internet is trough a GSM network adapter with a internet sim card (If you have good mobile internet on your phone, just use it as a wi-fi hot spot). The Bluetooth works well - you can play song from your mobile phone directly, of course you can receive and send calls, but unfortunately it doesn't uploads my Galaxy Note II phone book list, but it works with my wife's Iphone 4. Phone book.
The touch screen is not too sensitive, which might be a good thing in a car.
On the minus side the radio tuner is crap, it looses stations all the time and if you are not in the city but in the suburbs, do not expect good reception, I solve the problem with an android application with radio stations.

The installation of the unit is pretty much impossible without professional help, it really comes with all required cables to bypass the original optic fibre system, but some of them are not long enough (the power supply) and the can bus reader from the original optical system needed to be extended with 5-6m. to reach.

http://kapitanat.snimka.bg/tuning/me...71778.31344756
here are some of the pictures from the instalation
Old 09-21-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I'd be very interested in knowing the following:
1. Do steering wheel controls and instrument cluster displays work? Does the track or station change with the up and down arrows even if you are not on a radio related screen on the instrument cluster?
2. Can you quickly and easily switch between changing the radio station or CD/Ipod track while navigation is active?
3. You may not be able to answer this as it is mostly for USA customers: Does mBrace or Teleaid function as expected if you press the "i" or "wrench" button in the center compartment?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:48 PM

E350 Wagon and CLK430
Originally Posted by apl175
I'd be very interested in knowing the following:
1. Do steering wheel controls and instrument cluster displays work? Does the track or station change with the up and down arrows even if you are not on a radio related screen on the instrument cluster?
2. Can you quickly and easily switch between changing the radio station or CD/Ipod track while navigation is active?
3. You may not be able to answer this as it is mostly for USA customers: Does mBrace or Teleaid function as expected if you press the "i" or "wrench" button in the center compartment?
+1 me too
Old 09-22-2013, 03:56 AM

CLS 350 W219
All the steering controls are active, you can change the radio stations, only when you are on the radio page on the dashboard menu.If you insert USB or an I pod it detects it and changes the dashboard radio menu to an USB or I pod and you can control them from the steering wheel or the touch screen. When you insert USB with music it takes aprox. a minute to load all songs and I recommend different folders for different music otherwise it will be quite mixed up. With the I pod it is really simple just connect it, and you get on the touch screen an I pod menu, start a playlist and you can control it from the steering wheel.
The radio control works only when you are on the radio page, on the dashboard menu, if you are checking for example consumption and press up/down that would not affect the radio/usb/ipod.

For the third question, I'm not sure.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 AM

CLS55 AMG
I do have HK and logic 7

I do have HK and logic 7

Does this means forget it? why?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:11 AM

CLS 350 W219
No, it doesn't means that you can't install an aftermarket unit, but it will be expensive because to make it work you will have to buy a new amp. ( big enough to support all Logic 7 speakers and you will lose many of the great logic 7 options. I think that you can install NTG 2.5 with keeping all Logic 7, but you won't have internet option ... I don't know, it is you to you, but losing your great music, just to be able to watch youtube in the car ... I don't think it’s worth.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:16 AM

E350 Wagon and CLK430
would you happen to have a video of it in your car? Im reconsidering getting this now. I have an 06 e350 with comand screen but i dnt have nav or any other options so im really leaning towards this. What type of Amp would I need?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 AM

E55
Hi there, i know this post is old now but i,ve just replaced my OE Command with aftermarket which sounds much the same as yours and is Android based,but do not seem to be able to get the steering wheel controls to work and was wondering if you could help by letting me know how and where you connected the Can Bus plug/wires to the car.
So many thanks in Advance
Cheers
Tony
Old 07-15-2014, 01:36 AM

2008 E350
Hi MBFriends,

I just got my E350 2008 and am in love, what an automobile, it's a piece of art and I want it to be perfect. Of course even though it was quite advanced to it's time, nowadays she need a little help to stay perfect.

Did any fellow owners find a decent replacement to the Logic7 with voice command, steering wheel commands, bluetooth, gps, ipod/android integration, rear camera, satellite radio and maybe HD radio? I know I might be asking for to much, but... who knows!

Please give some inputs!

Thanks a mil
Old 08-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Mercedes E220
Smile Few more questions about after market DVD players for E220

Hi all

I'm from Europe (France) and now I also have a 2007 E220 Mercedes. As you all here I'd like to change my original DVD player with an android aftermarket player. The reason for this is, getting the DVD to work while driving. I've tried a lot of codes combinations before but it seems that mine is completely locked (firmware 21.090).

So before leaving the original unit to an after market, I was wondering if:
1/ the sound of the after market products are good as the original unit ?
2/ the quality of the radios station ?

Also if you can give me some links where I could buy a reliable product.

Thank you in advance for your answers and help.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:21 PM

Cls500
Aftermarket stereo for 2""6 cls 500 W219

I ordered this unit yesterday and received an email stating they had a better one to fit my car. See this:http://www.seicane.com/car-dvd-player-for-mercedes-benz-cls-w219-with-gps-radio-tv-bluetooth-srd-8797-1

My question is with the harmon kardon 7.1 I have will I need an amp because of the fiber optics? I am having it professionally installed and it sounds like they are sending me cables to bypass this issue?? I am not very good with stuff like this so any help is appreciated.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:39 PM

E350 Wagon and CLK430
To be honest the sound quality is marginal in my opinion and I lost the center speaker function in my w211. The connection with Bluetooth lags and the audio output in the receiving end (the person you are calling) is very staticky and low quality. The interface has a very noticeable delay from when you tap the plastic screen. The buttons need to be tapped severa time to function if they decide to function at all at times. The screen during daylight is very hard to see to the point I went with dark tints to help out with no real salution to this. My radio am fm has never worked even with multiple shops attempting external powered antennas. Steering wheel function are working but also a lag, and for as far as the navigation goes WOW WHAT A DELAY! plus the Chinese voice trying to pronounce words horrible.... Just my experience with this AND the Eonon head unit I will be springing the NTG 2.5 or putting my original command head unit back in..

Originally Posted by Silverpen27
I ordered this unit yesterday and received an email stating they had a better one to fit my car. See this:http://www.seicane.com/car-dvd-player-for-mercedes-benz-cls-w219-with-gps-radio-tv-bluetooth-srd-8797-1

My question is with the harmon kardon 7.1 I have will I need an amp because of the fiber optics? I am having it professionally installed and it sounds like they are sending me cables to bypass this issue?? I am not very good with stuff like this so any help is appreciated.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 PM

Cls500
To be honest I am not happy with the factory stereo now. It's 2006 technology and may have been high end at the time my 03 infiniti bose system has better reception and sound. I appreciate the feedback but this all started because I really need a backup camera. I looked at my options and not being an audiophile this seems to be a decent fix. If the stereo ends up being slow or awful sounding but the blue tooth works and the camera does what it says than I will be satisfied. My research originally led me to about $2300 for everything I want. I know $600 maybe to good to be true but I just don't want to sink two grand into an 8 year old Mercedes.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:24 PM

Cls500
Originally Posted by Silverpen27
To be honest I am not happy with the factory stereo now. It's 2006 technology and may have been high end at the time my 03 infiniti bose system has better reception and sound. I appreciate the feedback but this all started because I really need a backup camera. I looked at my options and not being an audiophile this seems to be a decent fix. If the stereo ends up being slow or awful sounding but the blue tooth works and the camera does what it says than I will be satisfied. My research originally led me to about $2300 for everything I want. I know $600 maybe to good to be true but I just don't want to sink two grand into an 8 year old Mercedes.
My real question is how come I have to loose my original fiber optics? Is there not a work around for this? Or do I have to add a new amp? I know nothing about car stereos.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
I think a member here put an ipad mini in a CLS.

Probably one of the best solutions. You get NAV, Internet, Pandora, Netflix, iTunes....whatever you want.

Audio would go through the AUX, and everything else would be stock in your car.

Just pay for cellular ipad, install and monthly data.

If there was room in the w211, I would have done it already
Old 11-12-2014, 12:19 AM

2006 E350 Wagon
Hey guys I bought a unit from a company called Carnaviplayer for my VW Touareg and I am probably going to buy their unit for my 2006 E350 Wagon. There units are plug and play, the customer service is great, and buying and shipping was easy and reasonable. Here is a link for their unit. Best of luck

http://www.carnaviplayer.com/mercede...vigation-p-174

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W211/W219 Aftermarket navigation system