Suspension, visit workshop message - New one

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Merc E-500
Suspension, visit workshop message - New one

ALCON,

So I am driving today and I get the dreaded visit workshop light.

A picture of the car exactly the same as the car rising image

I plug up my Xenty / DAS computer and run a full diag, and it states I have a stored event of a
-Delayed response, time too long to reach Airmatic preset pressure

So I run an airmatic suspension diag, and it pumps up to 14 Bar within the preset 40 seconds response time.

Just checking on a consensus if you all think the motor is going south on me. Car has 135K miles on it, and I have replaced the entire suspension front and rear with Arnotts (I love them), so the system has been leaky in the past so I can reliably state that this pump motor has been run more than usual.

I will probably go through Arnott for the replacement motor if it needs to be replaced.

on a scale of 1-10, 6 being replacement of the rear airbags, 5 being replacement of the lower control arm, sway bar link and front torsion link. Where does pump replacement fall.

I ask because I did the brakes, pads, brake lines, and suspension in my garage at home.. If pump effort exceeds 6 in difficulty, I will go to the indie.

Thanks,
Old 08-02-2013, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 S211 E500 4Matic
14 Bar should be within specs of the air compressor. The STAR should say what are the acceptable ranges for the compressor's pressure output. IIRC mine was pumping 11 and I don't have any error messages.

Changing it is simple. I can't tell you by your scale but all you do is take off driver's side front wheel. Peel back the wheel well lining and it'll be sitting there. Unplug all air lines and connectors, put a new one in and voila.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:11 PM

2003 Merc E-500
update

Thank you for the help.

The notice is now appearing more often rather than every two days or so. I put the vehicle to max ride height, this time I could hear the purge valve pop off in the front (signifying the system was at 14 bars or full), but I could hear the solenoids in the rear clicking and the vehicle not rising.

After driving about 2 minutes the back came up, and then the error message, airmatic car with rising arrow, Visit Workshop.

Same DAS code, no response with specified time.

I guess I will begin with the pump, then take a look at the shocks.

Are there any other rear solenoids besides the ones residing inside the hat on the shocks? I have the Arnotts.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Did you replace the rear air bags with arontt or just front struts?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:45 AM

2003 Merc E-500
All 4 corners are Arnott, struts and bags.

When I run the test via DAS / Xentry the front and rear rise and lower in the auto calibration routine..no problems.

When the error message comes up, and I put the car into rise mode, the front goes up, the rear begins to and then stops at normal ride height and I can hear the solenoids in the rear clicking away.

Normally I have to engage ride height increase once, disengage and immediately reengage to get max ride height, and each subsequent reengagement does nothing.

Now, it never reaches max and each subsequent reengagement prompts the car rising message, and I can hear the front purge.

For some reason under normal operation the rear rises and lowers normally until the message comes up, then the rear fails to respond.

It seems almost as if the system didn't get the pressure response in the allocated time, therefore it protects itself because it thinks there is a leak.

Sounds like the pump is going south to me...during the pressure test the pump rises quickly to 9bar, and the hits the wall and just makes it to 14 bar under the 40 seconds....about 32 seconds..records as a pass.

I think when I am driving, the roads here are extremely rough and bumpy prompting the system to adjust the airmatic, once the pump heats up, it is unable to respond to the pressure requirement in the allocated time.

How does this sound to you experienced guys?

Pump works in the shop and garage, but on the road it gets over taxed...

Looks like my whole airmatic system will be Arnott to include the pump soon.