E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

w211 e320 ESP ABS malfunctions, gear wont change and stuck on Parking.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320
w211 e320 ESP ABS malfunctions, gear wont change and stuck on Parking.

I need help with my 2003 e320
Problem started with it going into limp home
Won't change gear sometimes stuck at P. and wont shift higher than first gear.
ESP abs light is on dash
Had this put on Diag.

the codes are:
ME2-SFI: P20CC-008 'rough road detection' signal (by comparing wheel speeds) : Speed signal from control module ESP implausible/ Read out fault memory of control unit ESP (P1999)
P2068: fault is stored in component N15/3 (ETC[EGS] Control units. (P0720)
P2036-004: No or incorrect CAN message from control unit N47-5 (ESP control unit) communication fault/ see also CAN status in freeze frame data (P0600)
ETC: P2310: one or more messages from control unit n47-5 (ESP, SPS[PML] and BAS control unit) are not available on the CAN bus ( CAN timeout fault)
ESM: P1876 the signals sent by control unit n47-5 (ESP control unit) for the wheel speeds and the braking torque are not available on the CAN bus.
p2042: the brake signal from control unit N4705(ESP control unit) is not available on the CAN
bus.
SBC: C24DD: Fault in CAN communication with control unit N47-5 (ESP control unit.)

my independent mechanic said its the SBC units which i had it replace about 3 months ago under warranty. but when i took it to the dealership they say its the ESP control units and has nothing to do with the SBC.. the car is at the dealership and want me to spend $165 to do farther diagnosis on ESP control units. They estimated the replacement for ESP control unit will be $2490.
also the SBC is leaking brake fluid.

if its the ESP, Is ESP control units hard DIY to do to? or is the code suggesting that the SBC unit is acting up again?

if anyone can reply me at your earliest convenience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
thomas
Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sounds like you are mis interpreting what folks are saying and very obvious you do not understand the location and function of the ESP----------The ESP module is undercover in the drivers side fuse and relay box.

If you were smart you would have had whoever scanned the car to record the faults then erase the faults------then drive the car, then scan the car to see what faults return.

Based upon my experience control modules that have sensors reporting to them rarely are faulty themselves but are storage places for sensor data and those sensors do fail---in fact the data is telling you that there are issues with speed sensors and speed sensor data is used by a number of control modules as an example---traction and SBC and others used the speed sensor data to preform their tasks. If they get no or poor sensor data they advise a fault in more that one module--

Based upon what you have said, the bigger problem is that your indy hasn't got the foggiest fooking idea about understanding of the systems on MB cars---thats your first big mistake.

Go to an MB indy that knows MB systems first-----then the type of diagnostic equipment second------because if it is reversed--customers will get screwed then the customer automatically believes MB sucks bla bla!!
The following users liked this post:
psjimm (09-15-2018)
Old 08-21-2013, 01:15 PM

e320
what floks are you referring to? and what does it have to do with the location of the ESP?

i did have them clear the code, but the errors comes out right away.

if indy knows what's wrong with the car i wouldn't be on here asking for help.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
14 S8, 07 E63 Designo, on order 14 G63
the codes are:
ME2-SFI: P20CC-008 'rough road detection' signal (by comparing wheel speeds) : Speed signal from control module ESP implausible/ Read out fault memory of control unit ESP (P1999)
P2036-004: No or incorrect CAN message from control unit N47-5 (ESP control unit) communication fault/ see also CAN status in freeze frame data (P0600)
ETC: P2310: one or more messages from control unit n47-5 (ESP, SPS[PML] and BAS control unit) are not available on the CAN bus ( CAN timeout fault)
ESM: P1876 the signals sent by control unit n47-5 (ESP control unit) for the wheel speeds and the braking torque are not available on the CAN bus.
p2042: the brake signal from control unit N4705(ESP control unit) is not available on the CAN
bus.
SBC: C24DD: Fault in CAN communication with control unit N47-5 (ESP control unit.)
Based on my limited knowledge; when I see all these codes related to each other, there is a good chance that one item/sensor/issue is making the rest of the system panic.

A MB indy(real MB indy vs. indy who does it all)/dealer would will able to pin point the issue (diagnose/check the parameters).

Sorry, I wasn't able to help much.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by Plutoe
If you were smart you would have had whoever scanned the car to record the faults then erase the faults------then drive the car, then scan the car to see what faults return.
This should be the first thing you do. Drive it around and see what happens.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:16 PM

e320
Originally Posted by biggking
This should be the first thing you do. Drive it around and see what happens.
like i said in previous post. the codes showed up right after we reset the codes. all the symptoms are back.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by dejasxt
like i said in previous post. the codes showed up right after we reset the codes. all the symptoms are back.
Sorry didn't read that..

Maybe a computer or module is the issue?

I have like 10 of these cars in my backyard right now. If you give me the last 8 I can get you a price on a used module.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
00 cl500 turbo 03 e500turbo w203_63 w203 m271sc/turbo
Esp and abs

I need help with my 2003 e320
Problem started with it going into limp home
Won't change gear sometimes stuck at P. and wont shift higher than first gear.
ESP abs light is on dash
Had this put on Diag.

the codes are:
bus.

my independent mechanic said its the SBC units which i had it replace about 3 months ago under warranty. but when i took it to the dealership they say its the ESP control units and has nothing to do with the SBC.. the car is at the dealership and want me to spend $165 to do farther diagnosis on ESP control units. They estimated the replacement for ESP control unit will be $2490.
also the SBC is leaking brake fluid.

if its the ESP, Is ESP control units hard DIY to do to? or is the code suggesting that the SBC unit is acting up again?

if anyone can reply me at your earliest convenience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
thomas
Did u ever find the problem with the esp and the abs
Old 10-30-2013, 03:38 AM

e320
it was the esp. changed it with the dealer for about $2000.. but the car is fine now..
Old 11-03-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
00 cl500 turbo 03 e500turbo w203_63 w203 m271sc/turbo
it was the esp. changed it with the dealer for about $2000.. but the car is fine now..
So it was the esp module ? The one located on the driver side fusebox and on the inside left which is the abs esp pml/bas am i.correct ? And was ya car in limp mode specs! Cant go over 45mph abs ligjt lit and speedo not working and the triptrinic not workimg and not going from sport mode into winter mode
Old 01-21-2014, 02:40 PM

e class w211 320cdi 2003
Originally Posted by JUNEBLOOD
So it was the esp module ? The one located on the driver side fusebox and on the inside left which is the abs esp pml/bas am i.correct ? And was ya car in limp mode specs! Cant go over 45mph abs ligjt lit and speedo not working and the triptrinic not workimg and not going from sport mode into winter mode
HAD SAME PROB ESP ABS VISIT WORKSHOP STUCK IN LOW GEAR LIMP MODE, TURNED OUT IT WAS MAGNETIC RELUCTOR RINGS ALSO INDIE REPLACED THE SENSORS WHICH PICK UP SIGNAL FROM RELUCTORS.BOUGHT RINGS ON EBAY £12 A PAIR.THE DEALERSHIP WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO REPLACE COMPLETE DRIVE SHAFTS NOT THE CASE THEY ONLY WANT AS MUCH CASH THEY CAN ROB YOU OF.GOT CAR BACK FROM INDIE WITHIN 5 HOURS TOTAL COST £295 WELL HAPPY
Old 07-15-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E220cdi Auto 2007
Originally Posted by JUNEBLOOD
My 2007 E220 Diesel auto is doing the same thing! When I first brought the car I thought the car lost a bit of power to quickly as i released my foot off the accelerator I just assumed it's a heavy car. A month later the engine light came on then turned off so naively I thought nothing of it. Weeks later when I had time off work I took it for a scan to be on the safe side they said mechanically the cars fine but the scan found errors codes but I wasn't sure about them repairing It until I got a second or 3rd opinion but as the car drove fine I carried on using it now 500 miles later to today I parked my car up a few minutes up the street to get to work quicker and when I get back out of nowhere it jerks a little more when I switch to drive or to reverse there's almost delayed before it grabs the biting point, on the motorway won't go over 60mph even with my foot is fully down and when I take my foot off, the car slows down quite quickly, the engine just screams but the car won't shift, sports mode and shift gears now don't work (OMG) This has really happened at the wrong time. Now I'm questioning why got such a great deal.
buy the way when I got the scanned these are the 5 errors codes

2 transmission control faults
23C2 & 23C4

22E7 : Check system high pressure control

23E2 : Check component g3/2 (02 sensor upstream of KAT)

22E0 : No vehicle speed signal read out fault memory code of control unit n47 - 5 (ESP BAS Control unit)

I am no expert but just want to know what is the top priority fix or if one problem is causing another. My local garages in my area are not the greatest but I can't afford to go to Mercedes-Benz at the moment.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards
Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
This is another one of those impatient double posts-----an answer is again------------

"From my vantage point all the gilding has come off the lily---wada a deal!!

Oh well for the autopsy--all the faults do not appear to be sympathetic--you have a major transmission problem---you have a problem with the fuel rail high pressure sensor--you have a faulty upstream O2 sensor and you have a faulty speed sensor.

If I were the owner, I would first closely look at the transmission and the fuel rail issues--both are not DIY's and require special tools and knowledge to correctly repair.

The sensors are cheap. The big ticket item is the transmission and you want a shop that is very familiar with Mercedes not Cherries!!""

Last edited by Plutoe; 07-16-2015 at 09:58 AM.
psjimm (09-15-2018)
Old 07-17-2015, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E220cdi Auto 2007
This is another one of those worried mercedes owners

Originally Posted by Plutoe
This is another one of those impatient double posts-----an answer is again------------

"From my vantage point all the gilding has come off the lily---wada a deal!!

Oh well for the autopsy--all the faults do not appear to be sympathetic--you have a major transmission problem---you have a problem with the fuel rail high pressure sensor--you have a faulty upstream O2 sensor and you have a faulty speed sensor.

If I were the owner, I would first closely look at the transmission and the fuel rail issues--both are not DIY's and require special tools and knowledge to correctly repair.

The sensors are cheap. The big ticket item is the transmission and you want a shop that is very familiar with Mercedes not Cherries!!""
Thanks for the advice. I just got it scanned elsewhere and the speed sensor is the main culprate he stated that the torque is fine and the car has plenty of power. He also found a blown injector which is being repaired. After he cleared the errors it now drives fine but it won't last long. I've checked the part service history and found no transmission service!!!. Do you think at this point it's actually worth doing a transmission service while I scout eBay for a sensor?

Thanks

Last edited by Luke g; 07-17-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Jeff Boutin (05-03-2018)
Old 07-17-2015, 08:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
I think you are very foolish purchasing non OEM sensors anywhere.

Regarding the transmission and assuming the fluid level is appropriate, the flush is fine, but not the issue.I would want to find out what caused those faults
Old 05-03-2018, 03:46 PM

R500
Smile

Originally Posted by Luke g
Thanks for the advice. I just got it scanned elsewhere and the speed sensor is the main culprate he stated that the torque is fine and the car has plenty of power. He also found a blown injector which is being repaired. After he cleared the errors it now drives fine but it won't last long. I've checked the part service history and found no transmission service!!!. Do you think at this point it's actually worth doing a transmission service while I scout eBay for a sensor?

Thanks
Luke, I had the exact same thing happen with my R500. Used my MB II and picked up the speed sensor as well as a bunch of other things that were reliant upon it that were freaking out. Super fun...like you my tranny was affected. It slipped from 3rd through 7th gear and was about to go into limp mode like you, but I cleared the hard codes. Got confirm from the stealership today that's indeed the sensor, which just came in the mail today. Not a pretty thread but very helpful!

Thanks!