E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Sat radio....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sat radio....

I have a 2003 E500 with comand/nav and was wondering what the status of the sat. radio was? I contacted Siruis and they said to go and purchase the external pieces. I'm looking for it to be built into the sat button on my dash!

Also does the E500 have a jack in the dash/glovebox? A friend of mine has the SL55 and he says he has a jack to connect other audio devices....

Anyone?

Canthe phone option be installed as an aftermarket part, or only from factory? I like the option, but don't want to pay $1500.00

thanks,
Madd
Old 11-13-2003, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
The phone is actually installed at the port, and is quite an expensive option. But if you look in to other hands free solutions, they will NOT be able to integrate in to the COMAND. Only European models that have the UHI (Universal Handy Interface) with a Bluetooth phone would be able to use it. Since MB uses Verizon as their primary provider of phone services (and uses CDMA technology that is the most popular here in the US), no Verizon phones currently have Bluetooth. And when you consider the cost of equipment and labor for handsfree solutions, and the imperfect way in which they will integrate in the car, the expense is probably worth it, especially on a lease, since you will be able to residualize that amount.

There is an AUX jack somewhere, and you see an option when you press the Audio button for AUX, and a few people have done it.

Don't know when Sat radio is expected, but I heard sometime in the first quarter next year. I'm thinking it should be a pretty easy install, and the actual module should run maybe about $500??? Don't know anything yet.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:14 PM

SL500
MB price list whows 795 for Sat Radio add. Expect QTR1 2004 availability
Old 11-13-2003, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
yes, there is a aux jack in the glove box, kind of hard to see, its at the top of it
Old 11-13-2003, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I suspect Sirius will be bankrupt soon. they are now offering lifetime $399 activation, they must be desperate for cash.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:33 AM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
i too am curious when sat. radio will be available. i can't see buying a new car without that being in it.

right now the only vehicle that i own that has it is my GMC p/u. it has XM. really a nice feature. i think the future of radio stations is jeopardy with this new technology. it makes driving much more enjoyable.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Almost a Member!

So what is the audio jack for in the glove box?

Actually, all Honda's and Acura's offer XM standard for 2004, with the first 3 months free, afterwards it's $9.99 a month.

The funny thing, is the MB E-class with navigation is already prewired for sat. radio. Now what does that mean? I called a few dealers and they said they had no idea, one said to expect it soon. I wish people had answers!

I was also looking into getting an IPOD, they have a cool feature, with a $30.00 attachement, it broadcasts a signal to FM radio so you can play all the songs! What do you guys think?

MADD
Old 11-14-2003, 11:35 AM

2003 E500
Let me point out that it is not a big deal to have XM installed in an E. I have a 2003 E500 without NAV/COMAND, and I had an Alpine unit installed in the ashtray compartment which feeds into the system through an FM modulator (because there is no AUX on my system). It sounds great, it is invisible except for the small, inconspicuous antenna which sits on the shelf behind the right rear passenger and it cost about half of what you folks are talking about spending for the Sirius unit.

If you'd like any info, I'd be happy to provide it.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:06 PM

LEXUS
I have the XM in my car (E320), in the ashtray also. The antenna sits in the back under the rear shelf so it is unseen. The installers initially thought hiding the antenna might not work because the metallic tint might reduce the reception, but that has not been the case. Total cost was $325.

Sirius has significantly fewer customers than XM, and XM has better hardware from what I've seen. I do not see how the Sirius value is greater than XM given the Sirius price is higher.

On Command II, you preset the frequency which is visible on the screen. You cannot depress the SAT button for XM.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

XM is going to make it. Not sure if they can buy Sirius when they go under, whether their technology is compatible.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:02 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
I think Sirius and XM use different technology...

Sirius has 3 sats up in space, theoretically giving you better reception across the US, since you should always be able to "see" one of the 3 sats.

XM has 2 sats up in space, but they also use tons of repeaters on the ground level. Supposedly, the XM signal strength can vary quite a bit leading to differences in perceived volume levels.

I didn't realize that Sirius was in such $$$ trouble...

Everyone I talk to says XM's the way to go.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:03 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
I think Sirius and XM use different technology...

Sirius has 3 sats up in space, theoretically giving you better reception across the US, since you should always be able to "see" one of the 3 sats.

XM has 2 sats up in space, but they also use tons of repeaters on the ground level. Supposedly, the XM signal strength can vary quite a bit leading to differences in perceived volume levels.

I didn't realize that Sirius was in such $$$ trouble...

Everyone I talk to says XM's the way to go.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:05 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
ctemkin and slipnby...

Your sat antennas are mounted inside the car? Up under the rear deck in the trunk?

No probs with reception?

TIA.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:55 AM

LEXUS
Re: ctemkin and slipnby...

Originally posted by NuBenz
Your sat antennas are mounted inside the car? Up under the rear deck in the trunk?

No probs with reception?

TIA.
Yes, mounted inside, under the shelf in the rear just below the rear window, not the trunk area. There are 3 exits in the local area where the signal drops for 2-3 seconds. Every time I take these exits, and only while using the exits, the signal disappears until I am on the main road. It is almost like opening and closing a door. The signal will drop inside a tunnel, but not when moving under an overpass.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:36 AM

2003 E500
My antenna is located on the rear shelf behind one of the headrests, so that it is almost invisible. No reception problems. There are very occasional drop-outs.

My first XM unit was a Sony which I used on a Volvo. That unit's antenna sat on the roof and looked like a smallish shark fin. I haven't perceived any significant differences between the reception I used to get with the Sony unit and what I get now.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:59 AM
Almost a Member!

Hello all,

I contacted irius again last night, bacially we need to get an ESN number from the dealer, oncethey give it to us for our car, they'll be able to connect if the car is already prewired.

If you look at the manual for Comand, they show you screen shots for Sat. radio. It displays the channel under the speedo, and has the artist, album, and song displayed on the screen.

I have a couple of questions to people that already installed it....
1. With XM or Sirrus connected externally with antenna inside truck, so you have song info displayed, on command?
2. Are you using the aux. jack for sat. radio?
3. do you need a seperate antenna or can you use the one located on the back windshield? Looks like sat antenna.

Marc
Old 11-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Hello all,

I contacted Sirius again last night, basicially we need to get an ESN number from the dealer. Once they give it to us for our car, they'll be able to connect if the car is already prewired. It's very frustrating that MB has not released any info!

If you look at the manual for Comand, they show you screen shots for Sat. radio. It displays the channel under the speedo, and has the artist, album, and song displayed on the screen.

I have a couple of questions to people that already installed it....
1. With XM or Sirrus connected externally with antenna inside truck, so you have song info displayed, on command?
2. Are you using the aux. jack for sat. radio?
3. Do you need a seperate antenna or can you use the one located on the back windshield? Looks like sat antenna.

Marc
Old 11-17-2003, 11:07 AM
Almost a Member!

IT'S OFFICAL!!!!!

I just called MB...they said sat. radio will be available in January 2004. It's going to cost 12 per month, or you can get 1 years agreement with 1month free. They already have seen the presentations from Sirius. Installation will require an antenna mounted in the truck and some wiring. Pricing for installation is up to dealer.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:51 PM

2003 E500
This is in response to madde500's questions. Bear in mind that I do not have COMAND on my car.

With my Alpine XM unit, the name of the artist and the song are displayed on the XM unit itself, not on the Mercedes. The quanitity of displayed information depends somewhat on the unit in the car; XM apparently sends out more info than some units display. Even if you have COMAND, your car will not be able to put this info on its own display unless you are using the Sirius system.

Since I do not have an AUX input, I don't have that option. I had to use an FM modulator, which broadcasts into the car's FM antenna. If you have an AUX input, it is possible that you could use that, which would theoretically provide better sound; I believe that some of the XM units can use an auxiliary input, and some cannot.

You need to use a separate XM antenna. As I indicated in my prior post, that is not a big deal.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by madde500
IT'S OFFICAL!!!!!

I just called MB...they said sat. radio will be available in January 2004. It's going to cost 12 per month, or you can get 1 years agreement with 1month free. They already have seen the presentations from Sirius. Installation will require an antenna mounted in the truck and some wiring. Pricing for installation is up to dealer.
see the sirius.com website for pricing options, they have a lifetime (for them, it might not be too long) subscription for $399 now.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1019257316818

I would be cautious about spending alot of money on the radio hardware and installation, I really do believe Sirius will not make it. Too bad MB didn't go with XM.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

can you get other stations throughout the nation with satallite radio or its like cable where you pay a certain amount a month for a certain amount of channels.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:05 PM

2003 E500
XM charges about $10 per month (less per radio if you have XM units for different cars, etc.). For that you get access to 100 different channels, each of which is focused on particular kinds of programming (2 classical; 1 reggae; 1 adult comedy, 1 family comedy; blues; bluegrass; traditional country, modern country; music from the '40s, from the '50s, etc., etc.) You can go to xmradio.com for details. Many of the channels have no commercials; those which do have tremendously fewer than regular radio.

As wonderful as the E500 is to drive, XM makes it even more pleasant an experience.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by nyca
see the sirius.com website for pricing options, they have a lifetime (for them, it might not be too long) subscription for $399 now.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1019257316818

I would be cautious about spending alot of money on the radio hardware and installation, I really do believe Sirius will not make it. Too bad MB didn't go with XM.
MB could not have gone with XM. It is Daimler-CHRYSLER, remember? GM and Honda are investors in XM with a vested interest in the venture taking off (no pun intended).

That's why you will see the two camps, but you are absolutely right, Sirius won't make it. It is run quite differently than XM. The 'ex' used to work at XM, so I know all about it.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:08 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Thanks for the info on the antennas, guys!
Old 11-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Almost a Member!

E320
Maybe check the facts a little folks.

Sirius has money in the bank and is not in debt.

XM, is seriously in debt, has two satillites that are falling apart in space. Thier insurance copy will not cover the sats so they will have to replace them putting them further in debt.

While XM currently has more subscribers it had a 9 month head start and is only 50% ahead. Given the market is something like 2 billion possible, I doubt you can call the game with only a total of 1.6 million subscribers between the two.

Sirius has 60 completely commercial free music streams, XM has 30 that include comercials...

When the Sirius unit is installed with the Command system it will work on screen allowing you to select by genre, and also allows you 10 presets. The stream name will show on the instrument cluster display as well.

MB takes a lot of time to select the parts all the way down to the right type of botls and nuts, why would you think that they would stop here??

XM and Sirius are both much better than radio, if you want no commercials during your music and complete integration with you vehicle, get Sirius.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sat radio....