Check engine light, codes translation, error codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Merc E-500
Check engine light, codes translation, error codes

Hello all,
I have an Xentry / DAS computer for reading the codes and I have a couple here I would like some help with.
The vehicle is and 2003 E500 with 136,000 miles on it.
-oil changes faithfully every 7K miles ago
-replaced all plugs with iriduims (7K miles ago)
-installed K&N filters 20K miles ago(looking how to reset values to remap intake).
I run premium fuel with a Techtron cleaner every 5 tanks. I did have the leaking issue on the gas tank at 115K miles, I replaced my gaskets and applied a light coating of Ultra Black RTV prior to installation..no leaking, but I don't fill up past 3/4 tank either.

VIN: WDBUF70J63A182057

Codes-
Current and Stored:
P2017-001 Self adaptation of mixture formation for right bank of cylinders is at limit value (at idle speed) Enrichment over permissible limit (P0171)

P2086-001 Self adaptation of mixture formation for left bank of cylinders is at limit value (at idle speed) Enrichment over permissible limit (P0174)

Stored:
P2082-008 G3/3 (Left O2 before TWC / KAT) short circuit in signal line (P0151)

P2075-002 Purge control system has a slight leak (minor leak) in the hose connection or shut-off valve of activated charcoal canister (P0456)

P20DD-001 B37 accelerator pedal sensor signal 1 short circuit to positive / potentiometer above max value (P0123)

I replaced both front positioned O2 sensors and cleared the codes first, O2 sensor moved to stored. (shouldn't it be erased when I clear through DAS ?)

I will be cleaning the gas cap for code P0456, but where else should I look for this small leak?

As for the first 2 codes...Those are active and therefore responsible for the Check engine light ? Correct? Cold they be related to the K&N's, if not does anyone have an idea about those?

Any help would be appreciated.

I also am looking to see where the code relearning is for the K&N..I found 2 adaptation resets within the engine control group, but I am weary to do it until I hear about pro's and con's...as well as what to expect and what to prepare for prior to pushing the button.

Thank you

dunnman99@yahoo.com

Last edited by dunnman99; 12-07-2013 at 06:00 AM. Reason: added code
Old 12-07-2013, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
For the KN I have found that it must be cleaned, AND dry, Then only spray enough oil to just see the red color show. Let it sit about 30 minutes and check to make sure the oil wicked totally around the filter. IF there is still a spot with no red a very light spray. IF you spray it wet or until you see it all red totally you probably have too much oil and that might lead to a problem

Why not clean the filter again and re check.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 AM

2003 Merc E-500
response

I installed the filters right out of the box and have not cleaned them yet. OEM is pretty sparing on the initial oil application, but it has been suggested to use CRC MAF cleaner and do the K&N's light on the oil side and allow adequate drying time.

Will do.

Guam is not the place for technical chemicals used to do the job the right way, so CRC MAF cleaner may be hard to come by...Any tips on MAF replacements?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you have DAS Xentry you don't need help-----just follow the guided tests that can be accessed when you double click on the fault---be patient and dump the grease filter---go back to the OEM.

PS: you can't remap jack with DAS Xentry--if you want to waste your money go to a tuners web site----they will sell you a map of your ashtray!!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:38 PM

2003 Merc E-500
response

Hmm, I thought the re-learn / reset adaptations screens were used to remap the intake numbers, TPS and timing curves. I also thought the re-learn under driving conditions tab was used for that.

I also noticed the tranny has a re-adaptation section as well. As I was going to reset my tranny settings and relearn them as the 35mph island wide speed limit and driving conditions are WAY different than the highway driving this car did on the mainland.

I had read a post a while back about someone stating to make sure to remap intake settings once you drop in the K&N's.

I was just pulling codes and gong through the info screens, I will have to go back and see about the guided tests.

Thank you
Old 12-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
You are very confused and if anyone has read your post you will confuse them.

You need to put the tool away and start reading automotive diagnostic definitions---as an example mapping is not adaption and mapping is not coding.

What are you doing?? What are you trying to do?? With what are you doing it with???
The following users liked this post:
Overheated (08-29-2020)
Old 12-08-2013, 10:35 AM

2003 Merc E-500
response

@Plutoe,

I am not attempting to confuse anyone, and yes I may have confused myself by reading past posts and trying to put it all together without a standard reference point.

I must have confused re-mapping with adaptation.

My though is, I set the re-adaptation for a system it would adapt and remap voltage settings and responses to work according with the re-learning.

I am not going to go into the system and re-map manually as I think you are implying...M/B developed these systems with much more technical information than I am willing to tackle and I would hope clearing the old set values and allowing the system to go through a re-adaptation and re-learning curve while I complied with the requirements would "re-map" or change the values in question automatically.

I never stated I was going to code or re-map anything manually.

By definition I thought a re-adaptation/re-learn would re-map the voltage responses according to inputs. So isn't the system going to re-map during the adaptation process?

Last edited by dunnman99; 12-08-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
I have never read where K&N has ever suggested that certain ECU values had to be changed with their line of intake greese filters.

In fact all the filter media oils they use are very bad for any MAF system and therefore I jus can't think of a situation where any rational person would consider oiled media system on an MB.

I would suggest that you reconfirm with K&N directly on the subject.

Additionally, the MB transmission software is self adaptive and the shift patterns will change with you driving habits---surely you have noticed that when you bought your car---over time it learned how you drove and adapted to the new conditions.

Quote----I would hope clearing the old set values and allowing the system to go through a re-adaptation and re-learning curve while I complied with the requirements would "re-map" or change the values in question automatically. Unquote

Clear what values from where?? and relearn what---That is not possible with DAS Xentry---what you think you want is what tuners do all day----they virginize the ECU, re map the ECU and then add their software.

All DAS Xentry will do is to copy information from a control unit store the data on the HHD and past the data to a new empty(virgin )control unit---if the data is corrupt it will not copy and then you will have to program the control unit with software that is apart of DAS or ask you to go to the MB server and it will automaticly download the correct control unit software-----how will you do that without the proper MB license!!

You need to learn much more before you start screwing around with real cars or start on your brothers car first!!
Old 12-08-2013, 06:47 PM

2003 Merc E-500

@plutoe

quote < You need to learn much more before you start screwing around with real cars or start on your brothers car first!! > pretty condescending hugh?

I have been building SCCA ametuer level cars for over 20 years, I have been building race bikes from scratch frames as well...I came to this and another M/B forum in the hopes of getting constructive information about a car I have no fear of getting in up to my elbows in to make things right. I built my personal 65' GT350 from a basket case, and have driven it faithfully in any type of weather for over 20 years.

On my M/B I have replaced the airmatic suspension with Arnotts (front and rear), rebuilt the entire font end, replaced the air system hosing and pump, replaced the accumulator, brake lines, pads, calipers, rotors, bearings and repaired the "fire bomb of a gas tank" that M/B put in my W211. I did all of this in the auto hobby shop or in my home garage. If my inexperience in the DAS system does not measure up to "your" standards of understanding, I apologize....But that is why I am here, to get information and guidance.

And no my system did not re-learn or adapt to the island 35 mph stop and go driving change from mainland 85mph+ highway driving. The indie shop had to replace the conductor plate and re-flash my tranny with entirely default codes because the tranny had a fit "re-adapting" to the point of missed shifts, intermittent up and down shifting and holding in the wrong rpm range for a given speed. Once the plate was replaced and the tranny reprogrammed it worked fine.

The other forum is the one that stated to make sure you "re-adapt" or reset your intake learning once the K&N is installed. I have used K&N's both custom fitted and drop ins for some time now and I have never had a vehicle that is as temperamental as the M/B apparently is. My next thought is to ditch the K&N now, but you were the first to state they are never to be used and

<QUOTE>In fact all the filter media oils they use are very bad for any MAF system and therefore I jus can't think of a situation where any rational person would consider oiled media system on an MB. <QUOTE>

I will get some dry M/B factory filters on order and in the mail soon.

I am referring to the menus in DAS / XENTRY under the 2.8 SFI engine management screen, as far as resetting and perform "Re-adaptaion / Re-learning."

It provides set criteria, and set driving conditions that are to be followed once the re-adaptation is initialized.

I did not want to do this until I got some responses from the forum as to what to expect. At this point, I am going to jump in and perform the routines and see what happens.

I am not a tuner, as far as ECU's go. When I lived in Japan back in the 90's I did do mountain road racing in my 72', 86' and 89' skylines as well as some knee dragging on my RC30, RC31, RGV gamma 500 and RS250 but I never "had" to mess with an ECU...I tore it down built it right and raced the tires off it. Everyone of the ECU's in my skylines adapted to higher boost, bigger intakes, and bigger injectors without skipping a beat...I guess the "improvements" of current vehicles have made it more difficult for the owner to do things themselves?

Last edited by dunnman99; 12-09-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling