E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

wtf e350 disaster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes e350 2007
wtf e350 disaster

I have a 2007 e350 , check engine light came on for p0016 and p0017. So i got it replaced a local shop...the guy who fixxed it said he took it for the 12 mile test drive after it was done and the car wont start...so after a further look he said oil came up through the wires and fried the ECM. So i ask him if i can order the part from MB to save money he said yeah, so Mercedes calls me and says that they have to program and put it in so i tow it there and they do that. Then they call me and tell me that now the car is shooting codes for the Mass airflow sensor, camshaft sensor, and something else i can't remember. Anyways the shop i took it too said it had no codes after there fixx and when the ECM went out. So what i want to know is how in the hell is it shooting codes just because they replaced the ECM?

Last edited by xxlugtxx; 03-04-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
14 550 sedan
Nice rant. First of all I bet "your guy" doesn't have DAS Xentry/SDS or equivalent software to diagnose your problem. Second, am I reading this correctly? 12 test drives?? It sounds like he's playing the guessing game with your car and making you pay for it!! Once your car left his shop, he's no longer taking liability because he already has your money and doesn't want to fix anything at no charge! A mass flow sensor and camshaft sensors is really not even close to being a disaster. Third, find a new shop who have competent people!

///end rant?
Old 03-04-2014, 07:18 PM

mercedes e350 2007
No a 12 mile test drive and what im saying is after a 4,000 dollar camshaft balancer fix the ECM went out on the 12 mile test drive so i took it to the dealership they put in the new ECM and now it has 4 codes? how does it have no codes then get 4 codes after the ECM replace at MB... it is a pretty big disaster because 5,000 dollars later of mancufacture defects seems pretty ridiculous to me
Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 PM

14 550 sedan
Surely you didn't join the forums just to rant about your problems.. I'm no expert on Mercedes but how does oil travel up to the top of your engine cover where the ecu is at and fry it..
Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
^ +1 chill and drink wine.

somewhere, somehow, somebody messed up. its not the car. its your mechanic. hope everything gets fixed soon.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
No I mean to ask if he wants some cheese with that. It's plain as day that his mechanic is trying to screw him that is the dumbest reason I've ever heard for an ECU failure and I'm not even convinced if that's the problem. Seems like a really untrustworthy or just plain stupid mechanic.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
^ hahaha I get it now. down here, when somebody's ranting, we give em wine to chill.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 AM

mercedes e350 2007
yeah well i thought i could trust him hes been in buisiness for 50 years and specializes in BMW and Mercedes , and yeah that's what i'm saying i find it hard to believe that once he took it for a test drive after the fix that the ECU just failed.. but there's nothing i can do

So does anyone know anything about the camshaft sensors not working properly and somehow oil gets into ECU?

Last edited by xxlugtxx; 03-05-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:48 AM

mercedes e350 2007
And yea i'm sorry for ranting, but no need to rub it in. I've wanted a Mercedes my whole life and i'm only 20 years old, been saving up my whole life and get one that has a bad balancer shaft to start. should of did my research i know, but i didn't expect this from Mercedes. Pointless thread, I was thinking someone had the same scenario as me..but i guess i'm just that lucky

Last edited by xxlugtxx; 03-05-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 AM

14 550 sedan
Hey I'm 20 as well and I had to save a boatload for my merc as well that's been with me almost 3 years, and it's been a hell of a car for me. Proper and preventative maintenance is the way to go. Unfortunately you are quite unlucky as your car fell within range of those bad engines from around 07. Even unluckier as only 10-20% of those affected cars really have problems. I'm guessing you probably didn't get the car inspected before purchasing either. Yes you probably should have done some research or at least just start a thread asking for suggestions. Sorry you picked up the wrong vehicle. The early to mid 2000's were a tough time for Mercedes. The 211s are still really a hell of a car, especially the 2009 model year.

As for the camshaft sensor, it's not an uncommon issue. I also seriously don't know how oil could have gotten into the ECU unless it was done deliberately or just happened due to negligence.

Welcome aboard, grab a drink, and suck up your losses. Sometime life just hits you hard.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
It is way better to state the original problem.

What was done? Who did the work?

What was the results?

MB dealers can read all the codes.

You probably have one thing causing all the issues.

Oil in PCM ? I have had battery acid in a non MB PCM. I doubt oil is in it

and somewhere there is truth.

Put the data in factual form and if you don't know what the issues are just state it. If you are non tech and looking for a qualified service center ask.

There are people on this forum that will help but you must provide DATA.

You are correct you made some errors, with the 1st in assuming a MB would be reliable without out doing investigation before purchase.

MB's have a host of issues from airmatic suspension, to as you found out balance shaft. My Ford Diesel truck had the PCM replaced and it had to be programed / flashed to my VIN so I would expect the same for MV.

You are at a point now where you should have your car in a QUALIFIED service center that can read all the codes.

Then expect to OPEN your wallet and pay the $$ that it cost to OWN a MB not just buy a MB.

Mercedes of New Orleans is hands down the best service center of any car brand I have ever used. Doesn't mean worlds best just the best I have used in my local area. I am sure others can make recommendations for your area.

So start over with DATA and don't judge one shop on what you think might have happened. As JOE FRIDAY would say, "just the facts, just the facts".

Last edited by vettdvr; 03-05-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy
Hey I'm 20 as well and I had to save a boatload for my merc as well that's been with me almost 3 years, and it's been a hell of a car for me. Proper and preventative maintenance is the way to go. Unfortunately you are quite unlucky as your car fell within range of those bad engines from around 07. Even unluckier as only 10-20% of those affected cars really have problems. I'm guessing you probably didn't get the car inspected before purchasing either. Yes you probably should have done some research or at least just start a thread asking for suggestions. Sorry you picked up the wrong vehicle. The early to mid 2000's were a tough time for Mercedes. The 211s are still really a hell of a car, especially the 2009 model year.

As for the camshaft sensor, it's not an uncommon issue. I also seriously don't know how oil could have gotten into the ECU unless it was done deliberately or just happened due to negligence.

Welcome aboard, grab a drink, and suck up your losses. Sometime life just hits you hard.
Very good point here, and to OP you'll definitely go through a period of time where you have higher repairs with a used Mercedes but once you get through it you should be fine. For me, I'm 18 and I've had this car since I've been about 16 and a half. After the first 6 months of ownership, for the following year, I had a decent number of repairs from AirMatic to brake light indicator switch, etc. But now that I've gotten through that initial period of repairs and getting the car back up to speed it's been fine, the major thing I've found is a good independent mechanic for repairs is helpful, usually Mercedes-only shops are good because they have STAR Diagnostics. Then I take it to the dealership for regular maintenance as to enforce the 30 year rust warranty on all Mercedes as well as free roadside assistance as long as you've taken it to a dealership for maintenance in the last 18 months. Once you get an honest quote and these issues straightened out, Mercedes ownership will be everything you think it is and more.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by xxlugtxx
And yea i'm sorry for ranting, but no need to rub it in. I've wanted a Mercedes my whole life and i'm only 20 years old, been saving up my whole life and get one that has a bad balancer shaft to start. should of did my research i know, but i didn't expect this from Mercedes. Pointless thread, I was thinking someone had the same scenario as me..but i guess i'm just that lucky

I wanted a Mercedes my "whole life" too but had to wait until I was 57! I guess I'm just that lucky.

Seriously, take a deep breath. This can be sorted out in court if need be.

Make a timeline. Assemble the facts, receipts, quotes (as in exactly want the mechanic said was wrong, why a 12 mile test drive), etc.

Did the mechanic see any other codes? Since the car was towed to MB and did not see any other codes and was the last person to drive the car...

Is the mechanic suggesting that the oil surged up and fried the ECU on the test drive (because you were able to start it and drive to his shop)? 12 miles isn't far enough to get the oil hot enough to do very much migrating!!

Lot of info here that needs to be evaluated. He said, he did, they said, he can't, they found, you pay...Do not let him off the hook so easy. Ask questions. Lots of questions like detectives do with the facts slightly confused, and you may get the truth or some of it eventually.

Lastly, just because a business has been around 50 years is not always an indicator of a prudent and successful owner...

Good Luck.

Last edited by kurtismayfield; 03-07-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW M235i
^+100000 very good point.