Anyone with power folding side mirrors?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Anyone with power folding side mirrors?

If you have power folding side mirrors, do you have an option to set the mirrors to fold after shutting off the car, and unfold when starting it?

I know the newer S-class has this option, but I can't find mention of it in the marketing materials.

(My folding mirrors don't have the setting so I was hoping to find out if I should continue looking in the Star Diag for actuations.)

-s-
Old 11-26-2003, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic/2011 E350 4matic / 2003 E500 /2000 CLK 430
I would like to know if your mirrors fold at all?? They dont seem to and i dont want to push too hard and brake them.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by michael10128
I would like to know if your mirrors fold at all?? They dont seem to and i dont want to push too hard and brake them.
My mirrors fold. By a switch. So they don't need to be, and probably shouldn't be, pushed at all (by hand).

Non-power folding mirrors can fold. You just push them. There is a heavy duty spring that keeps them in the proper position. They cannot rest in the "folded" position (although some other Mercedes, such as the W208 CLK, will remain in the folded position).

-s-
Old 11-26-2003, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
im not sure what mb you have, but no US E-class has the folding mirrors that are powered. on the S and others, i believe it folds when you lock the car, and they unfold when you unlock the car
Old 11-26-2003, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
The way that I have had experience on both the S and ML, is that they fold by switch only.

I'm very curious too. Seeing CA, and power folding mirrors, please explain.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
On the S and CL Class, the fold when locked option started in 2003. Before that, both these models only power folded via the switch.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:50 PM

2004 E500
Euro option

Option Code 500 in Europe are the electric folding mirrors. I don't know how they work (button or auto), but they are availlable. I have the German and UK brochures and they are available in both countries. As a matte of fact, they are standard on Avantgarde and Elegance models.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by bmms8
im not sure what mb you have, but no US E-class has the folding mirrors that are powered. on the S and others, i believe it folds when you lock the car, and they unfold when you unlock the car
Assuming you mean W211 when writing this:

"no US E-class has the folding mirrors that are powered."

Except mine.

Courtesy MBenzNL.

-s-
Old 11-27-2003, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Euro option

Originally posted by Rudegar
Option Code 500 in Europe are the electric folding mirrors. I don't know how they work (button or auto), but they are availlable. I have the German and UK brochures and they are available in both countries. As a matte of fact, they are standard on Avantgarde and Elegance models.
Yes, I am asking for someone who has this option... to tell me how they work.

A lot of questions, no answers. Anyone?

-s-
Old 11-27-2003, 02:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Re: Re: Euro option

Originally posted by scorchie
Yes, I am asking for someone who has this option... to tell me how they work.

A lot of questions, no answers. Anyone?

-s-

It is correct that they come as standard on Elegance and Avantgarde models in the UK. There is a switch next to the mirror adjustment buttons that allows you to fold them on demand. They also can be automatically set to fold when locking and unfold when unlocking the doors.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:49 AM

2003 Toyota Prado
Scorchie and Fastbuck

The mirrors can be set to close automatically on the new E, i am off course referring to euro spec models. Its pretty intelligent too as it does not unfold the mirros as soon as u press the unlock key, but only when the drivers door is opened, so for example if you unlock the car so that you (or anyone else) can get something using any of the other doors ( ie if ur not planning on driving it just then) the mirrors remain folded, but as soon as you open your door to get in they start to unfold. Needless to say that locking your car while walking away from it immediatley folds them, leaving onlookers soooo amazed, its such a snob factor when parking your car

Last edited by Mellow; 11-27-2003 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 W211
Re: Re: Re: Euro option

Originally posted by Fastbuck
It is correct that they come as standard on Elegance and Avantgarde models in the UK. There is a switch next to the mirror adjustment buttons that allows you to fold them on demand. They also can be automatically set to fold when locking and unfold when unlocking the doors.
How do you set the mirrors to fold automatically? I only know how to do mine via the switch.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Richard, to fold your mirrors automatically, you have to go through the setting via the steering wheel.....i think its in the convenience menu and the option is wether you want the mirrors to fold and unfold on locking and unlocking the car.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 W211
I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have that, I've been through the menu's many times! Maybe its only available on the newer cars?
Old 11-27-2003, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Assuming you mean W211 when writing this:

"no US E-class has the folding mirrors that are powered."

Except mine.

Courtesy MBenzNL.

-s-
ahh, i neat standard hoe much did you get them for if you dont mind me asking? and how do they work on your car, was install easy? thanks
Old 11-28-2003, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Mellow
Scorchie and Fastbuck

The mirrors can be set to close automatically on the new E, i am off course referring to euro spec models. Its pretty intelligent too as it does not unfold the mirros as soon as u press the unlock key, but only when the drivers door is opened, so for example if you unlock the car so that you (or anyone else) can get something using any of the other doors ( ie if ur not planning on driving it just then) the mirrors remain folded, but as soon as you open your door to get in they start to unfold. Needless to say that locking your car while walking away from it immediatley folds them, leaving onlookers soooo amazed, its such a snob factor when parking your car
Thanks for the info! I will look for the setting in Star Diag so I can set it via my IC.

-s-
Old 11-28-2003, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by bmms8
ahh, i neat standard hoe much did you get them for if you dont mind me asking? and how do they work on your car, was install easy? thanks
I don't know the price because it was in a group of items I got. You may want to check with Steve after they are posted on his website, or he posts that they are available.

The install is pretty easy. Remove the door panel (doing all the steps for that) and replace the mirror control switch. Replace the door panel. Remove the existing mirrors by three screws and disconnecting the wire harnesses through the door wiring access panel. Install the new mirrors by three screws and plug the harnesses in. with Star Diag, program the door controllers to have power folding mirrors (not sure if this step is necessary). Apparently there may be a function in the IC to set autofolding, so the option must be version coded (I didn't do this yet).

-s-
Old 11-28-2003, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RichardM
I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have that, I've been through the menu's many times! Maybe its only available on the newer cars?
I dont know then maybe it was a feature added on the 04 models. I'll take some pics tonight.....(got our car back yesterday ) All is good
Old 11-29-2003, 02:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by akmal31
I dont know then maybe it was a feature added on the 04 models.
I will have to check that in one of our customers 03 E200CDI as well...sounds like a feature worth looking for after uopgrading to folding mirrors...

greetingz,
Old 11-30-2003, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fixed!

Found the setting in Star Diagnosis.

The problem was that the DAS system I was using needed to be updated. So instead of installing each little update CD, we installed the 9/2003 DVD. This allowed me access to the settings in the newer IC. The path:

Information/Communication -> IC -> Optional equipment -> folding mirrors -> PRESENT

Setting that and the two front door controllers seems to be the only settings needed, then going in the convenience menu of the IC and setting the feature to auto fold.

Thanks for the information everyone.

-s-

p.s. steve, the Star Diagnosis system is a DVD system, which I did not know, but it was originally installed and updated with the CD software, so I think CDs will not be a problem.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:16 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Re: Fixed!

but it was originally installed and updated with the CD software, so I think CDs will not be a problem.
...sounds very hopefull...

greetingz,
Old 11-30-2003, 11:56 AM

2004 E500
Folding mirror summary please

Can I assume form this thread that

1. One cannot order folding mirrors in the U.S. (even though we knwo its option code 500)

2. They can be added by obtaining the parts and installing including programming the software?

If this is correct, is there a cost estaimte and is there anyone who would id themselves as willing to do for others?
Old 11-30-2003, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Folding mirror summary please

Originally posted by Rudegar
Can I assume form this thread that

1. One cannot order folding mirrors in the U.S. (even though we knwo its option code 500)

2. They can be added by obtaining the parts and installing including programming the software?

If this is correct, is there a cost estaimte and is there anyone who would id themselves as willing to do for others?
I think you can assume that, since that's pretty much what was said in the thread.

Of course, there's the matter of "don't believe everything you read on the internet", so whether you choose to believe the statements given in this thread, of course, is your choice.

From this thread, you can also assume that there is no cost estimate yet.

Finally, I can give you one piece of information not previously given in this thread, although given in countless others on MBWorld: Contact MBenzNL (Steve) to get your modification parts and installation. He posted in this thread and you can e-mail him. My experience is that he is very helpful (if you carefully read what he writes), very reliable, and that his prices and service are excellent. I might be considered "biased" nowadays, so you may want to search around in the forums for more testimonials!

-s-